MPSC Combined Exam: Booklist for Prelims and Mains
MPSC Combined Exam Booklist requires specific booklists for Prelims and Mains. To decide on the correct booklist and right approach concerning the exam preparation, there are two governing factors- syllabus and previous years papers. Therefore, the booklist for Prelims and Mains are accordingly recommended. The MPSC Combined Exam cycle involves common prelims for all the PSI, STI and ASO aspirants, but there are two Mains Exams as the papers are separately conducted. It is important to note that MPSC Combined Exam has a very specific syllabus for both the exams with slight variations:
- Same syllabus for Prelims and Mains Paper-I for PSI, STI and ASO
- Different syllabus for Mains Paper-II for PSI, STI and ASO
Note: the MPSC Combined Exam is conducted for Group C services.
MPSC Combined Booklist for Prelims
The prelims exam is conducted for ‘General Mental Ability’ is having 100 objective type questions of 100 marks. The exam is bilingual (English + Marathi) and of 1 hour duration.
Subject and code
No. of Questions
Nature of Paper
General Ability Test
English & Marathi
Note: For each wrong answer, 1/4 marks will be deducted from the total score of that question. The subject-wise booklist is as follows:
- Polity: Preliminary Study of the Constitution of India, State Management (Administration) Village Management (Administration)
- M. Laxmikant
- Panchayat Raj - Kishor Lavate
- History: The history of modern India, emphasizing Maharashtra specific facts
- History of Maharashtra: 11 Std. State Board textbook or Anil Kathar's book
- Grover and Belhekar's Adhunik Bharatacha Itihas: Ek Navin Mulayankan Or Ranjan Kolambe's book
- Geography (with special focus on the geography of Maharashtra): Earth, world divisions, climate, latitude-longitude, types of land in Maharashtra, rainfall, major crops, cities, rivers, industries, etc.
- 5th to 12th Std. State Board textbooks
- Maharashtra’s Geography - Savadi (सवदी)
- Economy: Indian Economy - National Income, Agriculture, Industry, Foreign Trade, Banking, Population, Poverty and Unemployment, Monetary and Fiscal Policy, etc. Government Economy- Budget, Accounts, Audit, etc.
- Economics - A book by Ranjan Kolambe (रंजन कोळंबे) or Desale (दसले)
- General Science: Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Hygiene.
- 8th to 10th Std. State Board textbooks Or General Knowledge by Lucent
- Current Affairs: National and International Matters of relevance to India’s governance.
- पृथ्वी परिक्रमा
- अभिनव Yearbook
- BYJU'S Exam Prep also facilitates daily/monthly/yearly compilation
- Quants & Reasoning: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, average, decimal fraction, questions related to IQ measurement.
- Mathematics - Gyandeep Publication
- बुद्धीमत्ता - Gyandeep Publication Or
- R.S. Agrawal
MPSC Combined Booklist for Mains
The MPSC Combined Mains Exam has two papers i.e., Paper-I which is common to all three posts- PSI, STI & ASO. The syllabus varies for Paper-II and hence the booklist. The brief highlight of the papers are as follows:
Nature of Questions
Section A: Marathi
Section B: English
Section C: General Knowledge
50+ 30+ 20 = 100
Marathi & English
General aptitude test and positional / subject knowledge
Marathi & English
Note: On every wrong attempt, a candidate is penalised, and 1/4th marks will be deducted from the total score of that question.
- Marathi: सर्वसामान्य शब्दसंग्रह, वाक्यरचना, व्याकरण, म्हणी व वाकप्रचार यांचा अर्थ आणि उपयोग तसेच उतार्यावरील प्रश्नांची उत्तरे
- Marathi Grammar : M. R. Valambe (वाळंबे) / Balasaheb Shinde (बाळासाहेब शिंदे)
- English: Common Vocabulary, Sentence structure, Grammar, use of Idioms and phrases & their meaning and comprehension of passage.
- Pal & Suri’s book (पाल आणि सुरी) / Balasaheb Shinde’s book (बाळासाहेब शिंदे)
- General knowledge:
- Current Affairs - Global as well as Indian.
- Current Affairs: पृथ्वी परिक्रम, अभिनव Yearbook
- माहिती अधिकार अधिनियम, २००५ व महाराष्ट्र लोकसेवा हक्क अधिनियम, २०१५
- माहितीचा अधिकार २००५ & महाराष्ट्र लोकसेवा हक्क अधिनयम २०१५
- Computer and Information Technology - The Role of Computer in Modern Society, Use of Computer in Life in Different Areas, Data Communication, Networking and Web Technology, Cyber Crime and its Prevention, Use of Information Technology as a New Industry for Information Services Standards, government programs like Media Lab Asia, विद्या वाहिनी, ज्ञान वाहिनी, सामुहिक माहिती केंद्र, etc. Fundamental issues in the IT industry and its future.
- Previous Year Question Papers
- Sagar Publication book
PSI Mains Exam - Revised syllabus from 2020,
- Kishor Lavate’s book (किशोर लवटे) Or Dnyaneshwar Patil’s book (ज्ञानेश्वर पाटिल)
STI Mains Exam- Revised syllabus from 2020
- Economics book by Ranjan Kolambe Or Dasale’s book
- Economic Survey - Maharashtra
ASO Mains Exam -Revised syllabus from 2020, Link: Official syllabus of Mains Exam
- Panchayat Raj - Kishor Lavate (किशोर लवटे)
More from us