Ways to Join Indian Air Force
Career in Indian Air is considered as one of the most prestigious job in our country. This career not only provides you pride and honor but also you get an adventurous way of life. There are several ways to Join Indian Air Force. In this article we are sharing you the various ways through which you can join Indian Air Force as an officer.
Indian Air Force Academy
Indian Air Force Academy, Dindigul is situated in Medchal-Malkajgiri district of Hyderabad, Telangana. It was established in 1969 and came into operation in 1971. The academy is spread over 7,050 acres of land.
The cadets of all streams including Flying, Technical and ground duty branches trains in the academy. The cadets of the Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard also get training in the Indian Air Force academy. The cadets train for one year before commissioned into various branches of Indian Airforce.
Image Source: Wikipedia
How to Join Indian Air Force after 12th Class
Below are the ways to Join Indian Air Force as an officer after 12th class. This includes National Defence Academy (NDA) and National Cadet Corps (NCC)
National Defence Academy -NDA
National Defence Academy Entry is one of the ways to join Indian Air Force as Grade-A Gazetted Officer. The exam is conducted by UPSC twice a year. Young Boys who have cleared their 10+2 can Join Indian Air Force through NDA Entry. The candidates who clear the entire process of NDA Entry first spend three years at National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and after passing out from NDA they Join Airforce Academy Stage-I flying training.
- Age Limit- 16.5 years - 19.5 years
- Educational Qualification
- National Defence Academy (Army Wing):- 12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern by a State Education Board or a University.
- National Defence Academy (Air Force & Naval Wing):- 12th Class pass of 10+2 pattern with Physics and Mathematics by a State Education Board or a University.
National Cadet Corps NCC SE (Men and Women):
If you have Air Wing Senior Division ‘C’ Certificate of National Cadet Corps. Then you are eligible to apply for the flying branch of the Indian Air Force. This is one of the methods to get the permanent Commission.
- Age Limit - 21 to 24 Years
- The upper age limit for candidates holding a valid and current commercial pilot licence issued by DGCA is relaxable up to 26 years (born between 02nd July 1992 to 01st July 1998).
- Candidate should have passed 10 +2 level with minimum 60% marks in each - Physics and Maths.
- Candidates should be graduated with three years of degree course in any discipline from any recognized university with a minimum 60% marks each in Physics and Mathematics at BE/B. Tech degree (4 years course)
- Cleared section A & B Exam of Associate Membership of Institute Engineers (India) or Aeronautical Society of India from any recognized University along with minimum 60% marks or equivalent.
How to Join Indian Air Force after graduation
Below are the ways to Join Indian Air Force as an officer after graduation. This includes Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) and Combined Defence Service Exam (CDS).
Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT)
- You can apply through AFCAT for Short Service Commission (SSC) in the Flying Branch.
- Short Service Commission in Flying branch is for 14 years with no further extension.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Age - 20 to 24 years (at the time of commencement of course).Upper age limit for Candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxed up to 26 years(at the time of commencement of course).
- Educational Qualifications
- Minimum of 50% marks each in Maths & Physics at 10+2 level.
- Graduates (Three Year Course) in any discipline from a recognised University who have attained minimum 60% marks or equivalent OR BE/B Tech (Four Year Course) from a recognised university with minimum 60% marks or equivalent.
- Cleared Section A & B examination of Associate Membership of Institute Engineers (India) or Aeronautical Society of India from a recognised University with a minimum of 60% marks or equivalent.
- Final Year students are also eligible to apply, provided they do not have any backlog at the time of AFSB Testing and produce a Degree certificate issued by the University as per the date stipulated in the advertisement.
Byju's Exam Prep Brings together a workshop specially curated to help aspirants smoothen their journey to join Indian Air Force on "Why AFCAT is the best way to join IAF" live on 4th June 2022 (Saturday) 9 PM.
Combined Defence Services Exam (CDSE)
Combined Defence Services Exam is conducted by UPSC twice a year. Aspirants can join Indian Airforce through this entry.
- Indian Air Force Academy: 19-23 years for Male only
- Indian Naval Academy: 19-22 years for Male only
- Officers Training Academy: 19-25 years for Male and Female
- For IAFA:- Candidates must have a degree from a recognized university (Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 ) or a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
AFCAT Meteorology Branch:
Meteorology Branch is one of the ground branches in IAF and it is not covered under AFCAT. Under Meteorology Branch entry recruitment is done for Permanent Commission and Short Service Commission. Online applications for this branch are being invited twice in a year by Indian Air Force. The advertisement for the same is published in the months of Jun and Dec.
Age Limit: 20-26 years
Educational Qualifications: Candidate must be passed post-graduation with 50% in any stream
|AFCAT Study Material||AFCAT Question Papers|
|AFCAT Salary & Promotions||AFCAT Cut Off|
More from us:
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.