As a soldier he has to do whatever job he is allotted with primarily all trades are grouped in two factions
Group X (Technical): Technical groups include servicing of
- Specialist vehicles etc
Group Y (Non-technical): whereas non-tech trades include
- Administration, Human resource management,
- Logistic support,
- Vehicular transportation etc.
In this article, we will discuss Promotions, appraisals, commissioning of Airmen in Indian Air Force.
- There are examinations for the promotion of Leading Aircraft's men to the rank of Corporal and Sergeants, they also get promotion on the basis of completion of a minimum length of service.
- Policy for further promotions to the rank of Junior Warrant Officer, Warrant Officer and Master Warrant Officer is on merit-cum-seniority.
Minimum length of service for Promotions.
- Rank Min length of service
- LAC to Cpl 5 Yrs
- Cpl to Sgt 13Yrs 6 months
- Sgt to JWO 17 Yrs
- JWO to WO 23 Yrs
- WO to MWO 28 Yrs
APPRAISAL SYSTEM OF PERSONNEL BELOW OFFICER RANK (PBOR)
The Appraisal system in an organization plays a key role in the evaluation of an individual’s job performance, behaviour and personality traits. Appraisal of individuals is necessary in order to allocate human resources in a dynamic environment, motivate and reward individuals, give feedback about their work, maintain fair relationships within groups, train, develop and comply with regulations. An Appraisal system, therefore, is necessary for human resource management to achieve organizational goals along with individual aspirations.
These reports are utilized for: -
(b) Selection for various postings within India and abroad.
(d) Courses and Deputations within India and abroad.
(e) Extension of service.
(f) Grant of HONOURS and Awards.
(g) Honorary Commission.
(h) Employment in other government organizations/agencies.
Performance Counseling. Counselling of PBORs is carried out periodically. Appraisee is informed of the areas, wherein they need to improve upon.
The IAF is one of the best operational Air Force in the world. This requires constant updating of equipment, technology and trained human resource. Therefore, airmen are considered for regular training / courses conducted within the country and abroad on the basis of service requirements. The selection process is on merit and individual qualifications.
Remastering is a process of change of trade during the career of airmen. The individual can opt for remustering as a means of career progression or due to medical problems.
IAF provides an opportunity to airmen to become a commissioned officer in IAF through Service Entry Commission and in Indian Army through Army Cadet College Course.
- Honorary Commission. To recognize the service rendered by an airman, a Warrant Officer when he superannuates, is granted honorary commission on merits.
The IAF has earned its name in various peacekeeping missions around the world and is therefore tasked for many such missions abroad. Also, there are postings to various countries on different assignments. The selection criteria are as per the requirements laid down by Air HQ and are strict as per merit.
Tindal Promotions. Based on the available vacancies, NCs (E) are promoted to the post of NC (E) Tindal on completion of 15 years of service.
- Assured Career Progression (ACP) Scheme. Under the said scheme the eligible NCs (E) on completion of 10 years & 20 years of qualifying service are given financial upgradation.
- Appraisal System. An assessment system for assessing the character, general behaviour and trade proficiency of NCs (E) of all trades has been introduced wef 01 Jan 06. The need for the system is felt to evaluate their overall performance, which would be a step forward, towards providing motivation and further incentive.