Despite the best efforts and preparation, disasters, be they natural or artificial, are unavoidable. It can affect lives and livelihoods and even lead to an entire community getting displaced.
Humankind requires strong leaders and the hard work of a community who can help those affected by disasters rebuild and move on in their lives.
To recognize these individuals and institutions working selflessly to help those affected by disaster, the Government of India has announced the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar in 2019.
Let us have a look at all the details of this award and the awardees who have been conferred with this honour.
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar - Overview
To commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Indian Freedom Fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, the Government of India and the National Disaster Management Authority (NMDA) announced the Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar.
This annual award will aim to appreciate the efforts and work done by the civil society, be it by individuals in their personal capacity or institutions working in disaster management to help the community reeling from a disaster.
Some details about the award are as follows -
- Each year, up to three individuals or institutions will be recognized with this award.
- The award comes with a cash reward of Rs. 51 lakh for institutions and Rs. 5 lakh for individuals. The institution can only use the incentive for Disaster Management related activities.
- The award is officially given out on 23 January each year, on the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
☛ Also Read: Current Affairs
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar Criteria
As stated by the National Disaster Management Authority of India, the Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar is awarded to those who meet the following selection criteria:
- The applicant has worked in an area of Disaster Management in India, which can be - rehabilitation, relief, rescue, disaster response, prevention, mitigation, disaster preparedness, early warning, or related work.
- The applicant has helped saved human lives or reduced the damage to livestock, livelihoods, property, society, economy, or environment.
- The applicant is an individual or Indian institution, including NGOs, voluntary associations, business entities, academic/research institutions, uniformed units, personnel, etc.
- Has helped mobilize funds, resources, and provisions to help those affected by a disaster.
- Conducted scientific research or breakthrough innovation in the field of disaster management.
- Is a member of the forces or government services who have gone beyond the call of duty to help those in distress.
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar Winners list
Below is the list of the winners of the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar:
|Award Year||Name of Individual||Name of Institution|
|2019||-||8th Bn National Disaster Response Force, Ghaziabad|
|2020||Shri Kumar Munnan Singh||Disaster Mitigation & Management Centre, Uttarakhand|
|2021||Dr. Rajendra Kumar Bhandari||Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society (SEEDS)|
|2022||Prof. Vinod Sharma||Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM)|
Each year, the Government of India will recognize up to three individuals or institutions by conferring them with the Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar.
It is a welcome move to appreciate all the selfless organizations and individuals who tirelessly work on aspects of disaster management and play an essential role in our society.
FAQs on Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar
Q.1. What is the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar?
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar is an annual award that recognizes the excellent work done by individuals and institutions in India in the field of Disaster Management.
Q.2. When was the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar announced?
The Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar was announced on the 125th Birth Anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
Q.3. Who are the awardees for Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar?
Till now, the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar has been awarded to the following institutions and individuals/institutions:
- 8th Bn National Disaster Response Force, Ghaziabad (2019)
- Shri Kumar Munnan Singh, Disaster Mitigation and Management Center, Uttarakhand (2020)
- Dr Rajendra Kumar Bhandari, Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society (SEEDS) (2021)
- Professor Vinod Sharma, Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM), (2022)
Q.4. What do the awardees of Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar get?
The Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar can be awarded to both institutions or individuals who show exemplary work for Disaster Management and related activities. The award includes a cash prize of Rs. 51 lakh for institutions and Rs 5 lakh for individual winners.
Q.5. What are the criteria for nominating an individual or institute for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar?
The primary selection criteria for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar is that the applicant (institute or individual) should be India-based and should have worked in any area of disaster management like Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness, Rescue, Response, Relief, Rehabilitation, Research, Innovation, or Early Warning related work.