Maharashtra CM list names Eknath Shinde as the 14th Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Maharashtra is the richest and the second most populous state in India, which was formed after the splitting of the Bombay State. Its capital Mumbai is known as the financial capital of India. Yashwantrao Chavan became the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra on 1 May 1960.
In India, the chief minister of each state has many responsibilities, including supervising ministry functions, etc. We have shared the names of all the previous chief ministers in the Maharashtra CM list shared here.
Maharashtra CM 2023
Eknath Shinde took oath as the new chief minister of Maharashtra on 30 June 2022. He succeeded Uddhav Thackeray as the new state CM and has been serving the chief minister’s office since then. Politically associated with Shiv Sena, Eknath Shinde was earlier the Cabinet Minster in Urban Development and Public Works before becoming the new Maharashtra CM.
We have shared more about the incumbent chief minister of the state, along with his predecessors here. Also, find out the list of CM of Maharashtra to know the names of the previous chief ministers and details about their total tenure.
Maharashtra CM List
We have shared the list of CM of Maharashtra here. Check out the list to find out the names, tenure and political party of all the chief ministers of Maharashtra.
30 June 2022 to Incumbent
28 November 2019 to 30 June 2022
23 November 2019 to 26 November 2019
31 October 2014 to 8 November 2019
11 November 2010 to 26 September 2014
8 December 2008 to 9 November 2010
1 November 2004 to 4 December 2008
18 January 2003 to 30 October 2004
18 October 1999 to 16 January 2003
1 February 1999 to 17 October 1999
Shiv Sena (Sena BJP)
14 March 1995 to 31 January 1999
Shiv Sena (Sena-BJP)
6 March 1993 to 14 March 1995
25 June 1991 to 22 February 1993
26 June 1988 to 25 June 1991
12 March 1986 to 26 June 1988
Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar
3 June 1985 to 12 March 1986
2 February 1983 to 3 June 1985
21 January 1982 to 2 February 1983
A. R. Antulay
9 June 1980 to 21 January 1982
17 February 1980 to 8 June 1980
18 July 1978 to 17 February 1980
17 May 1977 to 18 July 1978
21 February 1975 to 17 May 1977
5 December 1963 to 21 February 1975
P. K. Sawant
25 November 1963 to 5 December 1963
20 November 1962 to 24 November 1963
1 May 1960 to 20 November 1962
List of CM of Maharashtra - Details
Here, you can find out the details of the last five chief ministers of Maharashtra.
- Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray was the last Maharashtra CM.
- He took the oath after being elected as the president of the newly formed post-poll coalition Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi.
- The Pratunam Survey held in June 2021 singled him out as the most popular CM in 13-state approval ratings.
- Devendra Fadnavis was the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra from the BJP.
- He served the post from 31 October 2014 to 8 November 2019.
- He took the second oath on 23 November 2019 but resigned just three days after stating the lack of BJP majority as the reason.
- Currently, he is the opposition leader in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly.
- Prithviraj Chavan was the Maharashtra CM for 3 years, 321 days, from 11 November 2010 to 28 September 2014.
- He was politically associated with the Indian National Congress (INC).
- He previously worked in the US before coming to India to become an entrepreneur in 1974.
- He was also a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Ashok Chavan is an influential leader of the Indian National Congress.
- He served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra from 8 December 2008 to 9 November 2010.
- Chavan had served as the Minister for Cultural Affairs, Industries, Mines, and Protocol in the Vilasrao Deshmukh government.
- Currently, Chavan is serving as the Minister of Public Works (Excluding Public Undertakings) in the Government of Maharashtra.
- Vilasrao Deshmukh was the 14th Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- He held the post for two terms: from 18 October 1999 to 16 January 2003 and again from 1 November 2004 to 5 December 2008.
- He subsequently entered the Rajya Sabha and later served as the Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences.
FAQs on Maharashtra CM
Q1. Who is the current CM of Maharashtra?
Eknath Shinde is the new Maharashtra CM who took charge of the office on 30 June 2022. He is politically associated with Shiv Sena. He previously worked in the cabinet of the last chief minister of Maharashtra, Uddhav Thackeray, as a minister for Urban Development and Public Works.
Q2. Who was the first chief minister of Maharashtra?
The first chief minister of Maharashtra was Yashwantrao Chavan. He served in the chief minister’s office from 1 May 1960 to 20 November 1962. He also served as the last CM of Bombay State, before the state of Maharashtra was created.
Q3. Who is the longest-serving Maharashtra CM?
Vasantrao Naik is the longest-serving Maharashtra CM, who served the CMO for 11 years 77 days. Naik began his tenure as chief minister of Maharashtra on 5 December 1963 and ended his term on 21 February 1975. He was politically associated with the Indian National Congress.
Q4. Who is the youngest Maharashtra CM?
Sharad Pawar was the youngest Maharashtra CM at age 38. He served two terms as the chief minister of Maharashtra, the first one associated with the INC (Socialist), from 18 July 1978 to 17 February 1980. The other term that Sharad Pawar served as Maharashtra CM was with INC from 26 June 1988 to 25 June 1991.
Q5. Where can I find the list of chief ministers of Maharashtra from 1960 to 2023?
Find the list of Maharashtra CM from 1960 to 2023 shared here. We have shared the names of all the previous chief ministers of Maharashtra, details of their political associations, and total tenure here. Check out the list of CM of Maharashtra here.