Importance of English in SSB and further Defence Career
- English communication is not only important SSB or Defence only but also plays important role in other sectors of work.
- All the verbal and written tests in SSB are conducted in the English medium. One must have good spoken English in order to do well in the interview.
- An Officer is expected to be well versed in English so that he/she could instruct their troops well and report to seniors.
- A good leader must have a gift of gab and officer are leaders, Sam Manekshaw Sir is a brilliant example.
- The power of efficient expression is one of the OLQs that is expected from an officer and English plays a very important role to do so.
- English is considered a global language so good knowledge can help in foreign missions & bilateral exercises with other nations.
Why Most the Students struggle with English Communication
- One primary reason is that we are inclined towards our native languages and don’t focus on the basics of English.
- Another one is, it is very common that students who speak English are often discouraged or mocked by their friends.
- Those born and brought up in families and surroundings where English is less spoken also suffer from fluency.
- Due to default brain settings, many of them think of their ideas in their native language and then translate them to English, and hence get stuck.
- Lack of knowledge of the importance of English in a professional career at early stages is also a reason.
Tips to Prepare English for SSB Interview
We can divide the whole learning process into the following parts
Part 1: Reading
- Start reading the newspaper or some novels to develop interest.
- Whenever you find a new word, underline, note, and learn where to use it.
- Use those words in writing or while speaking. Invest at least 30 min. Everyday.
Part 2: Writing
- Start writing in the English language as writing helps to recall it in the future.
- You can also frame the answers to some common questions asked in the interview as well it will definitely help in the future.
- Writing down ideas helps in finding grammatical errors.
- Try writing down your views on the latest social topics. That will serve the purpose of improving language and adds to your knowledge.
Part 3: Listening
- Listening will help us to improve pronunciation & will help you get a good command of the Language.
- Speaking with proper phonetics creates a good impression on the listener.
- Listening also teaches proper usage of words.
- Listen to great speakers, watch English documentaries, English songs, movies, etc.
Part 4: Speaking
- Speaking is the combined result of all the above efforts.
- What we read, write, or listen to is reflected by what we speak.
- Speaking practice makes us comfortable and enhances our fluency.
- Speaking skills can be improved by narrating a topic, PPDT story, practicing Lecturette topics.
- Develop a group of friends with whom you can talk in English only.
- Don’t bother about people who mock you for speaking wrong English, rather improve your skills every day.
More from us:
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App