US Open 2021 Highlights
- The 2021 US Open is the 141st edition of tennis' US Open and the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year.
- It is held on outdoor hard courts at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, New York.
- This event is normally the fourth and final major tournament of the year (August 30 – September 12) and the peak of the North American hard-court season.
- Category: Grand Slam (ITF)
- Prize money $57,500,000
- Surface: Hard
Champions of US Open 2021
Men's Singles Title
- Winner: Daniil Medvedev (Russia)
- Runner-up: Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
- Daniil Medvedev defeated Novak Djokovic in the final, 6–4, 6–4, 6–4 to win the Men's Singles tennis title at the 2021 US Open Men’s tennis tournament.
- It was Medvedev's first Major title, making him the third Russian man, after Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Marat Safin, to win a major singles title.
Women's Singles Title
- Winner: Emma Raducanu (UK)
- Runner-up: Leylah Fernandez (Canada)
- Emma Raducanu defeated Leylah Fernandez in the final, 6–4, 6–3, to win the Women's Singles tennis title at the 2021 US Open.
- She became the first qualifier in history, male or female, to reach a major final, and win a major title,
Grand Slam Tournaments
- These are the four most important annual tennis tournaments which are-
(i) Australian Open (Mid-January)
(ii) French Open (May and June)
(iii) Wimbledon (June and July)
(iv) US Open (August and September)
- These tournaments are played on different types of grounds.
- These tournaments are played in five categories-
(a) Men’s singles
(b) Women’s singles
(c) Men’s doubles
(d) Women’s doubles
(e) Mixed doubles
- Grand Slam- refers to the achievement of winning all four major championships within a single calendar year within one of the five categories (Example: Men’s singles, Mixed doubles etc.)
- Non-Calendar Year Grand Slam- Winning the four majors in consecutive tournaments but not in the same year.
- Career Grand Slam- Winning all four majors at any point during a career.
- Golden Grand Slam- Winning the gold medal at the Summer Olympic Games in addition to the four majors in a single calendar year.
- Super Slams- Winning the gold medal at the Summer Olympic Games + four majors in a single calendar year + ATP Final + WTA Final
About US Open
- Organized by the United States Tennis Association (USTA).
- Held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre in Queens, New York City.
- First held in 1881.
- US Open 2021 was the 141st edition of the tournament.
- This tournament is run by International Tennis Federation.
- Only Grand Slam that uses tiebreakers in every set of a match.
Winners of US Open 2021: Male & Female
|Men's singles final||Daniil Medvedev (Russia)||Novak Djokovic (Serbia)||6–4, 6–4, 6–4|
|Women's singles final||Emma Raducanu (UK)||Leylah Fernandez (Canada)||6–4, 6–3,|
|Men's doubles final||Rajeev Ram (United States) / Joe Salisbury (United Kingdom )||Jamie Murray (United Kingdom)/Bruno Soares(Brazil)||3–6, 6–2, 6–2|
|Women's doubles final||Samantha Stosur(Australia) / Zhang Shuai(China)||Coco Gauff(USA)/Caty McNally (USA)||6–3, 3–6, 6–3|
|Mixed doubles final||Desirae Krawczyk(United States) / Joe Salisbury(United Kingdom)||Giuliana Olmos (Mexico)/ Marcelo Arévalo (El Salvador)||7–5, 6–2|
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Unlimited access to 18+ Bank and Insurance Exam mock tests
- Mock Tests designed by Exam Experts.
- Detailed Performance Analysis.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.