SERB POWER Scheme
By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : Mar 7, 2023, 11:44
Gender disparity has been a constant problem around the world. In its effort to mitigate gender disparity in the field of science and engineering research, India has launched the SERB POWER scheme. The Ministry of Science and Technology established the scheme. SERB (Science and Engineering Research Board)- POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research) aims to improve the skills and participation of women candidates in the field of scientific research.
SERB is a statutory body formed through an Act of Parliament. The body focuses on improving the fields of science and engineering in India through the provision of research funds. The SERB POWER scheme was launched with benefits through fellowships and research grants. Under the scheme, women can attain opportunities to work in different research areas of science and technology.
Key Features of SERB-POWER Scheme
SERB -POWER SCHEME
Designed to reward women researchers with PhD in the field of science and engineering.
- Indian Citizen
- 35-55 years of age
- Working in Institution of India
- Excellent record of research performance
- Fellowship of 15,000 per month along with regular income.
- Research grant of Rs. 10 lakh per annum.
- The additional overhead of Rs 90,000 per annum.
- Fixed for 3 years, without extension
- Provided only once in their career
- Fellowships are invited through nominations sent by the Head of Institutions.
- Nominations are received online throughout the year
SERB-POWER Research Grants
Encourage women researchers to undertake R&D activities in the field of science and engineering
- Level I - Funding up to 60 lakhs for 3 years (For applicants from IISERs, IITs, NITs, IISc, Central Universities, and National Labs.)
- Level II - Funding up to 30 lakhs for 3 years (For applicants from State Universities or colleges and Private Institutes).
- Stream 1- Through direct online applications for POWER grant
- Stream 2- Applications sourced from CRG scheme
- Indian Citizens
- Should be a Principal Investigator or Co-principal Investigators
- Should hold regular academic or research position
- Selection based on Program Advisory Committee (PAC) recommendations.
- Both Fellowship and Research Grant cannot be taken simultaneously.
- The grants are regulated as per SERB- POWER policies and guidelines.
The SERB -POWER Scheme is an excellent way of moving ahead and improving the Sustainable Development Goals related to gender equality. With such grants and schemes, India can raise its position on several sociopolitical fronts going forward.
FAQs on SERB POWER scheme
Q.1) What is the SERB- POWER scheme?
The SERB- POWER scheme aims at enhancing research opportunities for women researchers and scientists in India. The acronym POWER stands for Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research.
Q.2) What are the age and eligibility criteria for availing SERB -POWER Fellowship?
The age limit for availing SERB- POWER fellowship is 35-55 years. Other eligibility criteria include being an Indian citizen, working in an Indian Institution, and having an excellent performance record in research.
Q.3) Can I take both the fellowship and research grant at the same time?
No. Both fellowship and research grants can not be taken at the same time.