Study Notes: Pie Chart Questions in DI

By Vijeta Bhatt|Updated : July 20th, 2021

Study Notes on Pie Chart Questions in DI

Check out the tips to solve Pie chart questions in exams. Read the study notes to prepare for Data Interpretation questions for IPMAT 2022 and for other BBA Entrance Exams.

Pie Charts

Introduction

Pie Chart is a circular form of Data representation. In this, the circle is divided into sectors either per cent-wise or degree-wise. In the per cent-wise division, the total area of the chart is taken to be 100% and in the degree-wise division, the total area of the chart is taken to be 360o.

Sample Question

Directions: Study the following pie chart and answer the questions that follow:

Total Number of Teachers = 6400

(Uttar Bihar Gramin Bank 2012)

Question 1: If one-thirty-sixth of the number of teachers from university F is professors and the salary of each professor is Rs 96000, what will be the total salary of all the professors together from university F?

[1] Rs. 307.2 lakh

[2] Rs. 32.64 lakh

[3] Rs. 3.072 lakh

[4] Rs. 3.264 lakh

[5] None of these

Solution:-

Number of teachers from university F = 18% of 6400 = 1152

1/36 of 1152 = 32

Total salary = 32*96000 = 3072000 = 30.72 lakh. Answer [5] is correct. (Note the tricky options [1] and [2])

Question 2: The difference between the total number of teachers in University A, B, and C together and the total number of teachers in university D, E, and F together is exactly equal to the number of teachers in which university?

[1] A

[2] B

[3] C

[4] D

[5] F

(You don’t even have to calculate the number of teachers. Just presence of mind is needed.)

Solution:-

Number of teachers in university A, B and C = 11+17+19 = 47%

Number of teachers in university D, E and F = 6+29+18 = 53%

Difference = 6% = University D. Answer [4] is correct.

Question 3: What is the average of teachers in universities A, C, D and F together?

[1] 854

[2] 3546

[3] 3456

[4] 874

[5] None of these

Solution:-

Again, solving it quickly.

11+19+6+18 = 54%. Average = 54/4 % = [54/400]*6400 = 54*16 = 864.

Answer [5] is correct.

Question 4: If twenty-five percent of the number of teachers in university C is female, what is the number of male teachers in university C?

[1] 922

[2] 911

[3] 924

[4] 912

[5] None of these

Solution:-

Number of teachers in university C = 19% of 6400 = 19*64 = 1216

25% of this is female. Hence remaining 75% is male.

Number of male teachers = 75% of 1216 = [3/4]*1216 = 912. Option [4] is correct.

Question 5: Number of teachers in university B is approximately what percent of the total number of teachers in university D and E together?

[1] 55%

[2] 59%

[3] 49%

[4] 45%

[5] 65%

Solution:-

Just solve the percentages.

University B = 17%. University D+E = 6+29 = 35%

Required percentage = [17/35]*100 = approx. 49%. Answer is [3]

Practice is the only way to increase your attempts in the exam and it will also help you improve your speed as well as calculation skills. Try to attempt a lot of sets of Data Interpretation to analyze your preparation level.

=======================

Enroll for the #1 BBA & HM online course & video lectures here!

BBA & IPM and HM Course 2022
Start Free Trial Now

Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now. 
The most comprehensive exam prep app. 
#DreamStriveSucceed

Posted by:

Vijeta BhattVijeta BhattMember since Nov 2020
Community Manager CLAT & BBA
Share this article   |

Comments

write a comment

Follow us for latest updates