About UNWTO and it’s Best Tourism Village Program:
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations specialized agency entrusted with the promotion of responsible, sustainable, and universally accessible tourism. It was founded in the year 1975.
- Its headquarters are in Madrid, Spain. UNWTO is the leading international organization for the promotion of tourism as a driver of economic growth, inclusive development, and environmental sustainability.
The UNWTO Best Tourism Villages Initiative was launched during the occasion of the opening of first UNWTO’s Regional Office in the Middle East (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia), underscores the role of tourism in rural development. The initiative includes three pillars:
- The ‘Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO’ Label
- The ‘Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO’ Upgrade Programme
- The ‘Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO’ Network
- UNWTO's 'Best Tourism Villages program will enhance the rural development in villages worldwide by facilitating tourism and other activities that promote local welfare.
- The Ministry of Tourism had sent in three entries from India, which were Pochampally (Telangana), Kongthong (Meghalaya) and Ladhpura Khas (Madhya Pradesh). Pochampally has been listed as one of the world's best tourism villages by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).
- The prestigious award will be given on the occasion of 24th session of the UNWTO General Assembly that will start on 30th November and run till 3rd December in Madrid, Spain.
- Also, the 43th Affiliate Members Plenary Session will take place in the framework of the 24th UNWTO General Assembly in Madrid, a decisive event in the journey to restart tourism.