To clear the exam a proper approach is imperative. We are providing you with study notes of GK for the same based on questions asked previously.
- Besides the vast physical features in the mainland of the country, there are two major island groups located on both sides of the peninsular plateau.
- The island groups provide the site for Fishing and Port activities.
- Though more than 4000 islands present in Indian territory Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep are the two major island groups.
ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLANDS
- The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are the chain of islands in north-south extent located in the Bay of Bengal.
- This island group is bigger in size and are more numerous and scattered.
- These islands are the elevated portion of Submarine Mountains.
- The entire group of islands are divided into two: Andaman in the north and Nicobar in the South. These two islands are separated by Ten Degree Channel.
- Many smaller islands are volcanic in origin and Barren Island is the only active volcano in India is situated here.
- Duncan passage lies between south Andaman and Little Andaman.
- Important Peaks: Saddle Peak, North Andaman (738 m); Mount Diavolo, middle Andaman (515 m); Mount Koyob, South Andaman (460 m); Mount Thuiller, Great Nicobar (642 m)
- The coastal line has some coral deposits and beautiful beaches. As it is close to the Equator it experiences convectional rainfall and equatorial type of vegetation.
- Ten Degree Channel- Between Little Andaman and Car Nicobar
- Duncan Passage- Between great Andaman and Little Andaman
THE LAKSHADWEEP ISLANDS
- The Lakshadweep Islands group are located in the Arabian Sea, near to the Malabar coast.
- This group of islands are mainly composed of coral reefs.
- Kavaratti Island is the administrative headquarters of Lakshadweep islands.
- Minicoy is the largest island in this group.
- This island group consists of storm beaches consisting of unconsolidated pebbles, shingles, cobbles and boulders.
- Nine Degree Channel- Minicoy is separated from rest of the Lakshadweep
- Eight Degree Channel- Lakshadweep Group separated from the Maldives
- Newmoore Island- located in the Bay of Bengal on the mouth of Ganga.
- Pamban Island- located in Gulf of Manner between Sri Lanka and India.
More from us:
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App