Summits & Conferences
1. Third edition of Goa Maritime Conclave begins
- The 3rd edition of Goa Maritime Conclave (GMC) 2021 is being held from 7th to 9th November 2021 under the aegis of Naval War College, Goa.
- Theme for GMC 2021: Maritime Security and Emerging Non-Traditional Threats: A Case for Proactive Role for IOR Navies.
- GMC: Indian Navy’s Outreach Initiative providing a multinational platform to harness the collective wisdom of practitioners of maritime security and the academia towards garnering outcome oriented maritime thought.
Science & Technology
2. China launches earth science satellite, Guangmu
- China has launched Earth science satellite named as ‘Guangmu’ into space from Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in the northern Shanxi Province.
- It was launched via Long March-6 carrier rocket.
- Guangmu: World’s first Earth-science satellite dedicated to serving the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
- This was 395th flight mission of Long March rocket series
- It was developed by Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Banking & Finance
3. PhonePe launched ‘SafeCard’ to help users meet RBI norms
- PhonePe has launched tokenization solution named as ‘SafeCard’ for online debit and credit card transactions
- RBI had made device-based tokenization framework applicable to Card-on-File Tokenisation (CoFT) services as well i.e Card-on-File (CoF) in September 2021.
- Tokenisation provides users an added layer of security by converting sensitive card information like card name, card number, CVV, etc
- CEO of Phonepay: Sameer Nigam
4. Alphabet launches AI- drug start-up Isomorphic Labs
- Alphabet has launched a new company in London titled as Isomorphic Labs.
- This company will aim to use AI (artificial intelligence) for drug discovery and medicine to find cures for some of humanity’s most devastating diseases in the field of biological and medical research.
- CEO of Isomorphic Labs: Demis Hassabis (Current CEO and co-founder of DeepMind)
- It is a commercial venture with the mission to reimagine the entire drug discovery process.
5. Civil Aviation Ministry declares Srinagar as major airport
- Ministry of Civil Aviation declared Srinagar airport as a ‘major airport’ under Airports Economic Regulatory Authority Act, 2008 (AERA) in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (i) of Section 2 of Airports Economic Authority Act, 2008.
- The move will allow AERA to determine the tariff, including development fee and passenger service fee, for aeronautical services at the Srinagar airport.
- Previously, AAI will determine tariff for the Srinagar airport.
6. National Cancer Awareness Day: 7th November
- National Cancer Awareness Day is being observed in India every year on 7th November to create awareness about the prevention and early detection of cancer.
- The day was first observed in 2014, marking the birth anniversary of the eminent and renowned scientist Marie Curie.
- Marie Curie was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity and was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize.
7. Meghalaya Cabinet approves creation of Eastern West Khasi Hills District
- Meghalaya Cabinet has approved a proposal to upgrade Mairang civil sub-division to a full-fledged district.
- It will be now called as Eastern West Khasi Hills district and will be inaugurated on 10th Nov 2021
- Mairang is now a sub-division under West Khasi Hills district.
- Creation of the new district will ensure that administration will remain closer to the people besides implementation of various schemes will also be more effective
8. Dronacharya Awardee Eminent Cricket Coach Tarak Sinha passes away
- Eminent Cricket Coach and Dronacharya Awardee Tarak Sinha (71 years) passed away in New Delhi due to cancer.
- He was felicitated with the Dronacharya Award in 2018.
- He is known for training India’s finest cricketers like Manoj Prabhakar, Raman Lamba, Ajay Sharma, Atul Wassan, Surinder Khanna, Sanjiv Sharma, Aakash Chopra, Anjum Chopra, Rumeli Dhar, Ashish Nehra, Shikhar Dhawan and Rishabh Pant.
9. Haryana Govt notifies State Employment of Local Candidates Act, 2020
- Haryana govt has notified State Employment of Local Candidates Act, 2020 to provide 75% reservation to the local youth in employment in the private sector.
- It will come into force from January 15, 2022 and was passed on March 2, 2021
- Upper limit of gross monthly salary under the Act has been reduced from Rs 50,000 to Rs 30,000
- It will be applicable to employers of private sector companies, societies, trusts, limited liability partnership firms, partnership firms, etc
Summits & Conferences
10. Silchar to host Northeast Green Summit from 16th November
- Silchar (Assam) will be hosting three day long Northeast Green Summit from 16th November, with agenda of sustainable development and conservation strategies for the Northeast and its contiguous biodiversity zones
- Focus area of the summit: Greening after Covid: Regional Cooperation, Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
- Delegates from Bangladesh, Bhutan and Myanmar will also attend the summit
- It will be organised by Vibgyor NE Foundation and supported by UN Environment.
1. Sankalp Gupta becomes India's 71st Grandmaster
- Nagpur based teenager Sankalp Gupta has become India's 71st Grandmaster by finishing second in the GM Ask 3 round-robin event in Serbia.
- He secured the 3 required GM norms by playing three tournaments on the trot.
- To achieve the GM title, a player has to secure three GM norms and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
- He won five games, drew three and lost one to Rudik Makrarian (Russia) to take the second place with 6.5 points in the GM tournament.
Honours & Awards
2. President Ram Nath Kovind confers Padma awards in Rashtrapati Bhawan
- President Ram Nath Kovind presents the Padma Awards in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honours of India announced annually on the eve of Republic Day.
- The Awards are given in 3categories: Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- 119 Padma Awards will be presented by President this year.
- The list comprises 7 Padma Vibhushan, 10 Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri Awards.
3. Iran’s military began its annual war games Zolfaghar-1400 in Gulf of Oman
- Iran’s military began its annual war games “Zolfaghar-1400” in the Gulf of Oman.
- Navy and air force units as well as ground forces were participating in a more than 1 million square-kilometer area east of the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
- The war games are aimed at “improving readiness in confronting foreign threats and any possible invasion.
- Nearly 20% of all oil shipping passes through the strait to the Gulf of Oman and Indian Ocean.
4. Manika Batra, Archana Kamath Clinch Doubles Title in WTT Contender tourname
- Indian pair of Manika Batra and Archana Girish Kamath clinched the women's doubles title in the WTT Contender tournament in Lasko, Slovenia.
- The Indian duo defeated the Puerto Rican team of Melanie Diaz and Adriana Diaz in straight sets by 11-3, 11-8, 12-10.
- Manika Batra and Archana Girish Kamath entered the finals of the women's doubles event of the WTT Contender tournament after defeating the team of Wang Yidi and Liu Weishan.
Honours & Awards
5. Priyanka Mohite to get Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award
- Maharashtra-based mountaineer Priyanka Mohite will be bestowed with the'Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2020' for her outstanding contribution in the field of adventure.
- She will receive the award from President at a function in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- She started out by trekking in Sahyadri ranges in Maharashtra and rock-climbing, began summiting mountains from 2010.
- She has scaled the world's highest peak Mt Everest besides Mt Lhotse and Mt Makalu.
6. Australia is putting a rover on the Moon in 2024 to search for water
- Australian Space Agency announced plans to send a rover to the moon as early as 2026, under a deal with NASA.
- The rover will harvest lunar soil containing oxygen, which could eventually be used to support human life in space.
- It will be the 1st rover with Australian-made components to reach the moon.
- The ten-kilogram rover, measuring 60x60x50cm, will be launched aboard the Hakuto lander built by ispace, a Japanese-based robotic lunar exploration company.
Banking & Finance
7. ESAF Bank join hands with Nabard for local economic development
- ESAF Small Finance Bank has joined hands with NABARD for local economic development.
- K Rajan, the State Revenue Minister inaugurated the state-level Local Sustainable Economic Development Training Program organized by the bank in this regard.
- ESAF Small Finance Bank's state wide initiative on Local Sustainable Economic Development Training Program in collaboration with NABARD is a step towards building financial literacy at grass root levels.
8. World Radiography Day 2021: 8th November
- Every year 8th November is observed as World Radiography Day to commemorate the discovery of X-radiation, or X-rays.
- In 1895 on this date German scientist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen discovered X-rays who, in 1901, became the inaugural winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics.
- The first World Radiography Day was celebrated in 2012.
- Globally, various organisations celebrate this day, including the UK's Society of Radiographers and the Association of Radiographers in Nigeria
Honours & Awards
9. Puneeth Rajkumar honoured posthumously with Basavashree Award 2021
- Kannada actor Puneeth Rajkumar will be posthumously conferred the Basavashree award 2021 by the Bruhanmutt.
- The award honours people for services to society in their respective fields by following the principles of Lord Basaveshwar.
- It is presented by Chitradurga Bruhanmutt since 1997.
- The award includes a Rs 5 lakh cash and a memento.
- PT Usha (2009), Malala Yousufzai (2014), P Sainath (2016), Dr K Kasturirangan (2020) are some to win the award in recent times.
10. Manu Bhaker and Javad Foroughi win mixed team gold in President's Cup
- India's pistol ace Manu Bhaker and Iran's Javad Foroughi won the 10m air pistol mixed team gold at the inaugural ISSF President's Cup.
- The Indo-Iranian pair got the better of the French-Russian duo of Mathilde Lamolle and Artem Chernousov 16-8 in the gold medal match.
- India's Abhishek Verma paired up with Ukranian Olena Kostevych to finish 6th while Saurabh Chaudhary paired with Swiss Heidi Gerber Diethelm made it among the top eight semi-finalists to finish 7th.
Banking & Finance
11. IBM sets up client innovation centre in Mysuru
- IBM Corp. launched a client innovation centre in Mysuru with support from the Karnataka Digital Economy Mission (KDEM)
- Aim: to attract companies to set up operations in cities beyond Bengaluru.
- This initiative aims at supporting the rapid, high-tech driven economic growth in tier-2 and -3 regions while providing comprehensive hybrid cloud and AI technology consulting capabilities.
- The centre specialises in design, software engineering and analytics.
12. Astronaut Wang Yaping Becomes First Chinese Woman To Walk In Space
- Astronaut Wang Yaping became the first Chinese woman to walk in space.
- Her team completed a 6-hour stint outside the Tiangong space station as part of its ongoing construction.
- Wang and her colleague Zhai Zhigang stepped out of the module waving to the camera while tethered to the outside of the station and installed a suspension device and transfer connectors.
- Tiangong-meaning "heavenly palace" is the latest achievement in China's drive to become a major space power