1. Mitrabha Guha named as India’s 72nd Grandmaster
- Mitrabha Guha (20-year old) has become India's 72nd chess Grand Master by bagging his third and final GM norm during a tournament in Serbia.
- Guha achieved the GM title after securing the final norm at the ongoing GM Third Saturday Mix 220 tourney in Novi Sad, Serbia.
- To become a GM, a player has to secure three GM norms and cross the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
- He had scored his second GM norm at the Sheikh Russel GM tournament in Bangladesh a fortnight ago.
National & International Appointments
2. Prof. Bimal Patel elected to International Law Commission for 5-yr term
- Professor Bimal Patel (51-year) has been elected to the International Law Commission for a five-year term, in a hard-fought election at the United Nations.
- He will serve a five-year term starting January 1, 2023.
- Prof. Patel has served in various roles such as the Director at the Gujarat National Law University and member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
- Prof. Patel garnered 163 votes in the UN General Assembly out of 192 members present and voting.
Books & Authors
3. Salman Khurshid authored book Sunrise over Ayodhya: Nationhood in our Times
- Former union minister & Congress leader Salman Khurshid has launched his book on the Ayodhya verdict named “Sunrise over Ayodhya: Nationhood in our Times”
- Book states about unity between Hindus & Muslims and about creating an awareness that the Supreme Court verdict on Ayodhya was a good one.
- On 9 November 2019, the Supreme Court, in a unanimous verdict, cleared the way for the construction of a Ram temple at the disputed site in Ayodhya.
4. India’s 1st National Yogasana Sports Championships organized in Bhubaneswar
- India’s first Physical National Yogasana Championships has been organised in Bhubaneswar, Odisha (11 to13 Nov 2021).
- Around 560 young Yogasana Sports athletes from across 30 states would be taking part in the event.
- It has been organised by the National Yogasana Sports Federation (NYSF) in association with the Odisha state.
- The event aims to promote yoga and create a global brand around it, portraying it as a competitive sport with high standards and benchmarks.
Honours & Awards
5. Neeraj Chopra receives Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award
- Neeraj Chopra, India's first individual Olympic gold medalist in athletics, received the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award from Indian President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Chopra won the gold medal in the javelin throw event at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics earlier this year.
- He became the only second individual gold medalist from India at the Olympics and the first in athletics.
- The awards are given every year to recognize excellence in sports.
6. Railway Board issues order to drop ‘special train’ tag
- The Railways has issued an order to discontinue the ‘special’ tag for mail and express trains and to revert to pre-pandemic ticket prices with immediate effect
- Since the coronavirus-triggered lockdown was eased, the Railways has only been running special trains
- It started with long-distance trains and now even short-distance passenger services are being run as special trains with “slightly higher fares” to discourage people from avoidable travels.
National & International Appointments
7. Myntra appoints Nandita Sinha as CEO
- Fashion and lifestyle e-commerce platform Myntra has named Nandita Sinha as its Chief Executive Officer.
- Ms. Sinha succeeds Amar Nagaram,
- Before joining Flipkart, she was the co-founder at MyBabyCart.com, an e-commerce site.
- Myntra is a major Indian fashion e-commerce company headquartered in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
8. Habibganj railway station renamed after Gond queen Rani Kamlapati
- The "most modern" Habibganj railway station in Bhopal has been renamed after Gond queen Rani Kamlapati.
- It is said that Rani Kamlapati was the widow of the Gond ruler of Nizam Shah, the chief of Ginnorgarh.
- The redeveloped station in Bhopal has been built on a cost of Rs 100 crore.
9. Law Minister Kiren Rijiju launches Citizens' Tele-Law Mobile App
- As part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, Law Minister Kiren Rijiju launched Citizens' Tele Law Mobile App and felicitated frontline functionaries at a function in New Delhi.
- This App would connect the beneficiaries directly with Panel Lawyers offering legal advice and consultation.
- It is the responsibility of the government to ensure justice to the poorest of the poor through whatever services they need.
Banking & Finance
10. RBI projects CPI inflation at 5.3% for 2021-22
- India’s retail inflation rate, measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), rose mildly in October to 4.48% year-on-year from 4.35% in September due to an uptick in food prices.
- The inflation was 7.61% in October last year.
- The RBI has projected the CPI inflation at 5.3 per cent for 2021-22.
- According to MoSPI data, inflation in the food basket rose to 0.85 per cent in October, compared to 0.68 per cent in the preceding month.
Books & Authors
11. Defence Secretary releases a book titled ‘FORCE IN STATECRAFT'
- Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar released a book titled ‘FORCE IN STATECRAFT’.
- The book is a compilation of essays on topics including counter-insurgency operations, conflict in the North East, airpower and nuclear posture which give conceptual understanding and facets of India's national security.
- The contributors of the book are all stalwarts of the Armed Forces, who have vast operational experience and understanding of several important cornerstones of forces.