1. Savita Punia named captain of Indian women hockey team for Asia Cup
- Goalkeeper Savita Punia will be the captain of Indian squad at the Women’s Hockey Asia Cup 2022 to be held in Muscat, Oman.
- Indian women are the defending champions at the continental event.
- Indian women’s hockey team features 16 players who were part of Tokyo 2020 Olympics, where the Indian eves finished fourth.
- Vice-captain: Deep Grace Ekka.
- China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and Thailand are the 7 other teams competing at the tournament.
2. Meenakshi Lekhi launches Bike Expedition to north-east
- MoS for Culture, Meenakashi Lekhi has launched 'North East on Wheels Expedition’ in New Delhi to promote the Culture of Northeastern States.
- It is scheduled to be held between 8th to 16th April this year to mark the celebrations of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- 75 Bikers participating in this expedition will be selected from all over the country and will cover about 9000 km in the NE Region in 6 groups.
- Aim: promote the Dekho Apna Desh initiative of the Ministry of Tourism.
3. Environment Minister releases India State of Forest Report 2021
- Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav has released biennial India State of Forest Report 2021.
- Total forest and tree cover in India in 2021: 80.9 million hectares.
- This is over 24.60% of the geographical area of the country.
- 17 states and union territories have above 33% of the geographical area under forest cover.
- Largest forest cover: Madhya Pradesh
- Max. increase in forest cover: Andhra Pradesh
- Total carbon stock in India’s forest: 7,204 million tonnes.
4. Tata group replaces Vivo as IPL title sponsor for 2022 & 2023
- Tata group has replaced Chinese mobile phone manufacturer Vivo as the title sponsor of the IPL for 2022 and 2023 seasons by BCCI.
- Multinational conglomerate will pay Rs. 300 crore per year as the title sponsor of IPL for the next two seasons.
- This is about 60% of what Vivo would have paid.
- The 15th edition of IPL will have as many as 10 teams as two new teams, one from Ahmedabad and the other from Lucknow, are all set to join the cash-rich league.
Arts & Culture
5. Kachai Lemon Festival began in Manipur
- The 18th edition of Kachai Lemon Festival began in Manipur.
- Theme: 'Organic Kachai Lemon for Safe Environment and Rural Transformation'
- Kachai Lemon has been accorded GI tag and widely grown in Kachai Village of Ukhrul district.
- Kachai Lemon is considered to be unique as it is a rich source of ascorbic acid and famous for its juice content.
- Kachai Lemon Festival is organized annually to promote this unique kind of lemon fruit and to encourage the lemon farmers.
6. NDTV Lucknow Bureau Chief Kamal Khan passes away
- NDTV's Lucknow Bureau Chief Kamal Khan passed away due to a heart attack.
- Kamal’s reportage over the last decades stood out for its perceptiveness, integrity & the way he delivered hard truths with poetic dexterity.
- Khan was working as Executive Editor with NDTV.
- He was a recipient of Ramnath Goenka Award, and Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi Award from the President of India.
Banking & Finance
7. Paytm Payments Bank becomes most preferred UPI beneficiary bank
- Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL) becomes the largest and fastest growing UPI beneficiary bank in India.
- It becomes the first beneficiary bank in the country to achieve the landmark of over 926 million UPI transactions in a single month.
- Beneficiary banks are the banks of the account holder who is receiving money.
- Paytm Payments Bank has also gained rapid traction as a remitter bank for UPI payments.
- CEO Paytm Payments Bank: Satish Kumar Gupta
- Headquarter: Noida
Banking & Finance
8. Snapdeal ties up with BOB Financial to launch Rupay Credit Card
- Snapdeal has joined hands with BOB Financial and NPCI to launch a co-branded contactless RuPay credit card.
- This co-branded credit card aims to popularise the adoption and usage of credit cards among the growing number of online buyers from India’s smaller cities and towns.
- The Snapdeal-BoB co-branded contactless card will be rolled out by March 2022.
- BOB Financial Solutions Limited (BFSL) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda (BoB).
Banking & Finance
9. Axis Bank ties up with MinkasuPay for smoother biometric-based net banking
- Axis Bank has entered into a partnership with MinkasuPay to offer biometric authentication solution for its customers.
- Now transaction time to execute net banking payment will be reduced from about 50-60 seconds currently, to just 2-3 seconds.
- customers’ biometric authentication will be done with Fingerprint or Face ID authentication.
- This will also increase transaction success rates significantly.
- Axis Bank MD and CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry
- Headquarter: Mumbai
10. Posco, Adani Group to build $5 billion Mundra steel mill
- POSCO and the Adani Group have agreed to explore business cooperation opportunities, including the establishment of a green, environment-friendly Integrated Steel Mill at Mundra, Gujarat.
- The investment is estimated to be up to USD 5 billion.
- The non-binding MoU signed between POSCO and Adani intends to further collaborate at the group business level in various industries such as renewable energy, hydrogen, and logistics in response to carbon reduction requirements.
11. Armed Forces Veterans Day 2022: 14th January
- Armed Forces Veterans Day is observed on January 14 every year, since 2017.
- It is celebrated to honour the sacrifice of our veterans in serving the nation.
- Armed Forces Veterans Day was called Armistice Day when it was announced and this year, the nation is celebrating the 6th Armed Forces Veterans Day.
- Armed Forces Veterans Day recognises the services rendered by Field Marshal KM Cariappa OBE, the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Armed Forces.
12. AYUSH Ministry hosts first-ever global Surya Namaskar event
- On the auspicious day of Makar Sankranti the Ministry of AYUSH hosted the 1st-ever global Surya Namaskar event.
- Union Minister, Sarbananda Sonowal, addressed the people on the occasion and gave his message on Surya Namaskar.
- Keeping in view the recent upsurge of corona cases, he had advised people to do 'Surya Namaskar' from home and upload videos on the links used for registration.
- Leading Yoga masters and gurus from global institutions also shared their messages.
13. Badminton Association partners Sony for Yonex-Sunrise India Open 2022
- The Badminton Association of India (BAI) announced Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI) as its broadcast partner for the Yonex-Sunrise India Open 2022.
- The 11th edition of the tournament will see reigning world champion Singapore's Loh Kean Yew and bronze medallist Lakshya Sen as well as two-time Olympics medallist PV Sindhu and the 2015 India Open champion Saina Nehwal.
- The tournament is being telecast live on Sony Ten 1 channel and is being streamed live on SonyLIV.