National & International Appointments
1. N Chandrasekaran re-appointed as Chairman of Tata Sons
- N Chandrasekaran has been re-appointed as the Chairman of the Tata Sons for another five years.
- His name was recommended by Tata Group patriarch and Tata Trusts chairman Ratan Tata and was approved by boards of directors of Tata Sons
- Board members: Venu Srinivasan, Ajay Piramal , Ralf Speth, Bhaskar Bhat, Sourabh Agrawal and Harish Manwani.
- Tata Groups: Indian multinational conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai.
- Tata Group was founded in 1868 by Jamshedji Tata.
2. Dept of Social and Empowerment inaugurates SMILE scheme
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Virendra Kumar has inaugurated SMILE (Support for Marginalized Individual for Livelihood and Enterprise) Scheme.
- Aim: to provide welfare measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- The schemes include two central sector sub-schemes:
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging
- Outlay: Rs 365 crore
3. AIM, NITI Aayog and UNDP launches Community Innovator Fellowship (CIF)
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog and UNDP, India has launched Community Innovator Fellowship (CIF).
- It is developed as a pre-incubation model to provide youth with an opportunity to establish their social enterprise focusing on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) based solutions for solving community issues.
- CIF is a year-long program.
- It is a propelling initiative to harness the creativity and the innovation potential that the grassroots of India hold.
4. Former Chairman if Bajaj Group, Rahul Bajaj passes away in Pune
- Industrialist and former chairman of Bajaj Group, Rahul Bajaj (83 years) passed away at Pune, Maharashtra after suffering from pneumonia and cardiac problem.
- He acted as the chairman of the Bajaj Group for 50 years and resigned in April 2021.
- He was a successful entrepreneur and philanthropist who made big contribution in the progress of country on all economic fronts.
- Award: Padma Bhushan in 2001.
- He also served as a Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament.
Summits & Conferences
5. Union Agriculture Minister addresses 60th Convocation of ICAR-IARI, Delhi
- Union Agriculture Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar has handed over awards and degrees to 284 students at Post Graduate School of ICAR-Indian Agriculture Research Institute, New Delhi
- He also dedicated 6 varieties of fruits and vegetables: two varieties of mango Pusa Lalima, Pusa Shresth, brinjal variety Pusa Vaibhav, Pusa Vilayati palak, Pusa Gynoecious Cucumber Hybrid-18
- Bio-fertilizer 'PUSA Sampoorn' developed by division of Microbiology was also released.
6. Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 14.5 km rail-cum-road-bridge over Ganga river
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari has virtually inaugurated 14.5 km long rail-cum-road-bridge over Ganga River at Munger, Bihar.
- It has been constructed on NH 333B at the cost of Rs 696 crores.
- Munger is known for its rich ancient history, culture, education and commerce and is one of the major tourist and pilgrimage sites of Bihar.
- It will get rid of traffic jams, fuel will be saved and traffic will accelerate, along with reducing cost.
7. President of India inaugurates New Darbar Hall at Raj Bhavan, Mumbai
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated new Darbar Hall at Raj Bhavan, Mumbai
- Construction of Darbar Hall has been done keeping heritage building's features intact
- It is built keeping modernity according to the need of the times while keeping tradition alive
- Method of connecting with people through Janta Darbar by public authorities is becoming popular.
- Thus, this Darbar Hall is a symbol of our new India, new Maharashtra and vibrant democracy
8. Aarogya Setu to have Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) number
- National Health Authority (NHA) under Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) has announced integration with Aarogya Setu.
- Its integration takes the benefits of 14-digit unique ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) number to Aarogya Setu user base and beyond.
- Under ABDM, user can generate their unique ABHA number.
- They can use the ABHA number to link their existing and new medical records including doctor prescriptions, lab reports, hospital records etc.
Science & Technology
9. Indian scientists develop probiotic to provide hope for longevity
- India Scientists from Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST), Guwahati have recently identified next-generation probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus Plantarum JBC5 from dairy product that showed great promise in promoting healthy aging.
- They have also developed yogurt using this probiotic bacterium which can be consumed to derive all these health benefits.
- The experiment was conducted on a model organism called Caenorhabditis Elegans.
10. Navy to host largest multilateral exercise, Milan 2022
- Indian Navy is set to hold 12th President’s Fleet Review (PFR) on 21st February at Visakhapatnam and will host the largest multilateral exercise in this region, Milan 2022.
- Milan 2022 will participated by all major Navies including Quad countries, Russia and from West Asia amid tensions in Ukraine and developments in West Asia.
- Milan will see the participation of U.S being invited for the first time.
- Milan 2022 is scheduled to be held from 25th February to 4th March.
11. India signs MoU with Australia on Tourism cooperation
- India have signed MoU with Australia on Tourism cooperation in New Delhi.
- It will be instrumental in increasing tourists’ arrival from this important source market.
- Australia is the most important tourism generating markets for India (ranked 4th in terms of Foreign Tourist Arrivals to the country in 2019).
- Under the MoU, three meeting of Joint Working Group Meeting on tourism between India and Australia were conducted.
- Ministry of Tourism has MoUs with 45 countries.