National & International Appointments
1. Former Punjab DGP, Dinkar Gupta appointed as new Director General of NIA
- The Centre has appointed former Punjab DGP, Dinkar Gupta as the Director General of National Investigation Agency (NIA).
- He will replace Director General of CRPF, Kuldeep Singh, who was given an additional charge of the NIA after the retirement of Y C Modi.
- He will hold this post till March 31, 2024.
- NIA is a counter-terrorist task force of India.
- It is formed under the National Investigation Agency Act 2008 by the Parliament of India on Dec 31, 2008.
Summits & Conferences
2. Dr Jitendra Singh attends “2022 UN Ocean Conference” at Lisbon
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology, Dr Jitendra Singh will take part in the “2022 UN Ocean Conference” at Lisbon, which starts from June 27.
- The conference is co-hosted by the Governments of Kenya and Portugal.
- He will deliver the Keynote address at the Conference on the theme 'Scaling up Ocean Action based on Science and Innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: Stock taking, Partnerships and Solutions'.
Banking & Finance
3. World Bank finance Indian Railways to reduce carbon emissions
- The World Bank has approved a $245-million loan for the Indian Railways to reduce the India’s high carbon emissions and low modal freight share in the railways.
- The Indian Railway project will help India to shift more traffic from road to rail.
- This will make transport more efficient and reduce tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year.
- This loan is financed through the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development with a maturity of 22 years.
Banking & Finance
4. Zomato to acquire Blinkit for ₹4,447 crore in all-stock deal
- Zomato (Online food delivery platform) has announced to acquire Blinkit, which was earlier known as Grofers, in an all-stock deal of Rs 4,447 crore.
- Zomato would acquire up to 33,018 equity shares of Blink Commerce Pvt Ltd.
- The total purchase consideration of Rs 4,447.48 crore at a price of Rs 13.45 lakh per equity share.
- Last year, Zomato had bought a 10% stake in Blinkit for about $100 million.
- Founder & CEO Zomato: Deepinder Goyal
5. International Day against Drug Abuse: 26 June
- The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is observed on June 26.
- Aim: To spread awareness about the physical and psychological impact of substance abuse, drug overdose deaths.
- The theme 2022: Addressing drug challenges in health and humanitarian crisis
- The UNGA has decided to observe this day on December 7, 1987.
- In 2022, the UNODC has started the campaign - “#CareInCrises” - for World Drug Day.
6. NHA to host Hackathon Series under Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM)
- The National Health Authority (NHA) will organise its first ever open-to-all hackathon series in the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission ecosystem.
- Aim: To drive ideation and innovations.
- The series of hackathon will begin on July 14, 2022.
- This also focus on the Unified Health Interface (UHI) and to mobilise the health start-up ecosystem in India.
- UHI is designed as an open network to enable the interoperable transaction of digital health services.
7. Indian women’s recurve team bag silver medal in World Cup Stage 3 in Paris
- The Indian women's recurve team of Deepika Kumari, Ankita Bhakat and Simranjeet Kaur has clinched for a silver medal at the World Cup Stage 3 in Paris.
- India has lost to Chinese Taipei by 1-5 in the women's recurve team final.
- India has concluded their campaign with one gold and two silver medals.
- The duo of Abhishek Verma-Jyothi Surekha Vennam win gold in compound mixed team event.
- In Individual event, Jyothi Surekha Vennam has clinched silver.
8. Tata Power Solar commissions India's largest floating solar power project
- Tata Power Solar Systems has commissioned India's largest floating solar power project of 101.6 Megawatt Peak (MWp) in Kerala backwaters.
- The project has been installed on a 350-acre water body in Kayamkulam, Kerala.
- The installation was completed within the stipulated period, despite the various challenges of variable like water depths, high sea tides, and severe water salinity concern.
- Tata Power Solar is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Power.
9. United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture: 26 June
- The International Day in Support of Victims of Torture is observed annually on June 26.
- Aim: to promote the abolition of torture, support victims, and promote human rights.
- The United Nations General Assembly has passed a resolution on December 12, 1997. Presently, the Convention has been ratified by 162 countries.
- This day was first observed on June 26, 1998.
- This day is administered by the UN Human Rights Office in Geneva.
10. UK, US, Japan and Canada to ban Russia gold imports amid Ukraine war
- Th UK, the United States, Japan and Canada will soon ban the new imports of gold from Russian, to tighten the sanctions squeeze on Moscow for its invasion of Ukraine.
- Countries will apply for newly mined or refined gold.
- This move will not affect previously exported Russian gold.
- Last year, the exports of Russian gold were worth 12.6 billion pounds.
- Recently, the London Bullion Market Association has suspended accreditation for 6 Russian precious metals refiners.
1. Madhya Pradesh clinches first ever Ranji Trophy title against Mumbai
- Madhya Pradesh has created history after defeating the 41-time champions, Mumbai by six wickets to win their first-ever Ranji Trophy title at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.
- Madhya Pradesh has chased down 108 in the fourth innings for the fall of four wickets.
- Madhya Pradesh has now become the fourth first-time winner of the Ranji Trophy in the last five seasons - joining Gujarat, Vidarbha (two-time winners now) and Saurashtra.
2. G7 leaders pledge 600 billion for developing countries
- During the Group of Seven (G7) Summit in Germany's Bavarian Alps, G7 leader has made an announcement to help developing countries tackle climate change and pledge to raise 600 billion dollar.
- This will boost help to give a boost to the economies of countries.
- G7 is offering sustainable, quality infrastructure and will be listening closely to the recipient countries.
- G7 members: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK, the USA and the EU.
Honours & Awards
3. Vijay Amritraj honoured with 2021 Golden Achievement Award
- India’s Vijay Amritraj has been awarded the 2021 Golden Achievement Award by the International Tennis Hall of Fame and International Tennis Federation.
- This award is conferred to a person who has made important contributions internationally to tennis in the fields of administration, promotion, or education and has devoted long and outstanding service to the sport.
- The award was presented at a special celebration hosted in London.
Science & Technology
4. Iran launches a solid-fueled rocket, Zuljanah into space
- Iran has launched a solid-fueled rocket, a 25.5 meter-long rocket into space.
- Rocket name: Zuljanah
- This rocket is capable of carrying a satellite of 220 kilograms.
- It will gather data in low-earth orbit and promote Iran’s space industry.
- This launch just comes after the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, traveled to Tehran in a push to resuscitate negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program that have stalemated for months.
5. World MSME Day 2022: 27 June
- The World Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) day is observed annually on June 27 to recognise the contribution of these industries in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Theme 2022: Resilience and Rebuilding: MSMEs for Sustainable Development.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has marked first World MSME Day by 74th Plenary on April 6, 2017.
- MSME minister: Narayan Rane
6. A noted lyricist, Chowalloor Krishnankutty passed away
- A noted lyricist, author and journalist, Chowalloor Krishnankutty has passed away at the age of 86.
- Krishnankutty has penned over 3000 devotional songs and authored more than 200 books.
- He was retired from the Malayala Manorama daily as an Assistant Editor.
- Awards: Kerala Sahithya Academy Award for satire, Poonthanam Jnanapana and Revathy Pattathanam Awards among others.
- He was also worked as the Vice-Chairman of the Kerala Kalamandalam.
National & International Appointments
7. IRS officer, Nitin Gupta appointed as new chairman of CBDT
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer, Nitin Gupta has been appointed as the new chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Gupta, will replace Sangeeta Singh who had been given an addition charge after the retirement of JB Mohapatra on April 30.
- The CBDT is headed by a Chairman and may consist of six members in the rank of Special Secretary.
- It is the administrative body for the Income Tax Department.
National & International Appointments
8. Anil Khanna appointed as the acting President of IOA
- The Delhi High Court has passed an order, that Narinder Dhruv Batra cannot continue as the President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) in a contempt proceeding.
- While hearing a contempt proceeding filed on behalf of former Olympian Aslam Sher Khan against Batra, IOA secretary general Rajeev Mehta and Sports Secretary.
- The court has also appointed Anil Khanna as acting president.
- Batra was become an IOC member in 2019.
9. IAF participates in Tactical Leadership Program of Egyptian Air Force
- Indian Air Force has participated in Tactical Leadership Programme at Egyptian Air Force Weapon School in Cairo west Airbase.
- Indian Air Force: Three Su-30MKI aircraft, two C-17 aircraft and 57 IAF personnel including C-17 contingent.
- A month long event, is a unique exercise with Air assets in a Large Force Engagement environment, simulating various conflict scenarios.
- Aim: Enhancing defence cooperation between the two countries and exchange of best practices.
10. Cyclist, Ronaldo becomes first Indian to win silver at Asian Championship
- India’s Ronaldo Singh has scripted history by winning Silver in the sprint event at the Asian Cycling Championships 2022.
- He also became the first Indian cyclist to win a silver medal (including the Elite category) at the Asian Track Championship.
- Ronaldo Singh Laitonjam hails from Manipur, and started cycling at the age of 14.
- He had created a national record in the quarter-final with a 9.946s sprint (first Indian to breach 10 sec mark).