The International Theatre Institute (ITI) established World Theatre Day in 1961. ITI Centres as well as the international theatre fraternity commemorate it every year on March 27. To commemorate the anniversary of World Theatre Day, a number of international and domestic theatre events are planned every year.
Theatre has been an integral part of expression and storytelling for hundreds of years. Even today, it remains one of the most significant art forms that deserves recognition and preservation. Find out more about World Theatre Day, its origin and its significance here.
World Theatre Day 2023
World Theatre Day is a significant occasion for theatre artists, producers, and writers. Theatre is an age-old art form that has allowed humans to express themselves. To celebrate this art form and keep it alive, occasions like World Theatre Day 2023 are important.
On this day, a special message is circulated by a special invitee. This is one of the most important traditions of World Theatre Day. Find out more about this day from the overview shared in the table below:
World Theatre Day
March 27 (annually)
International Theatre Institute
Year of Establishment
World Theatre Day 2023 Theme
Theatre and a Culture of Peace
To highlight the value of theatre art form and encourage people to realise its significance.
World Theatre Day 2023 Theme
The theme of World Theatre Day 2023 is “Theatre and a Culture of Peace.” This theme was set by the International Theatre Institute and remains constant every year. The theme of World Theatre Day signifies the role theatre plays in unifying cultures and establishing peace.
Moreover, theatre is a great tool to help people identify and understand the aspects of different cultures around the world. Every year, a special invitee also delivers a message around the World Theatre Day theme.
World Theatre Day - History
Here, we have shared some information about the history of World Theatre Day:
- The date of World Theatre Day, i.e., March 27, commemorates the anniversary of the inauguration of the 1962 "Theatre of Nations" season in Paris.
- Every year on March 27, International Theatre Institute (ITI) Centres around the world commemorate World Theatre Day in a variety of ways.
- This day is also celebrated by theatres, theatrical professionals, theatre fans, theatre universities, academies, and schools.
- One of the most significant features of this day is the distribution of the World Theatre Day Message. During this, a world figure shares his or her insights on the issue of Theatre and a Culture of Peace at the invitation of ITI.
- Jean Cocteau wrote the first World Theatre Day Message in 1962.
Significance of World Theatre Day
World Theatre Day is considered a significant event for various reasons. Theatre has been one of the most prominent forms of entertainment since the Greeks. It is a fusion of different genres of fine arts in which live acts, actors, or actresses convey their real-life experiences in a specific place or on a stage to a live audience.
On World Theatre Day, the importance of theatrical arts, their role in the entertainment industry, and the transitions that theatre creates are all celebrated. A message about the importance of theatrical arts is also shared on this day.
World Theatre Day - Objectives
Here, we have listed down some of the objectives of World Theatre Day:
- Promoting theatre in all of its manifestations all throughout the world.
- Increasing public understanding of the importance of all types of theatrical forms.
- World Theatre Day provides chances for theatrical societies to publicise their work on a large scale so that authorities & opinion leaders recognise and encourage theatrical production.
- Encouraging people to enjoy theatre.
- Most importantly, World Theatre Day is about sharing your love of the theatre with others.
How to Celebrate World Theatre Day
World Theatre Day is celebrated on March 27. The International Theatre Institute (ITI), the world's largest performing arts organisation, originally commemorated World Theatre Day in 1962. A lot of institutions commemorate this day. ITI uploads performance footage from its different locations throughout the world to its official website on this day.
Here are some of the ways in which you can celebrate World Theatre Day 2023:
- Go to see a play with your family or friends on this day.
- Honour a drama writer who has influenced you.
- You can organize a theatre performance festival on World Theatre Day.
- Use social media to make public statements about this day and theatrical arts.
- Use a variety of creative mediums to express your enthusiasm for the theatre.
- In partnership with theatres, you can host celebrations in honour of World Theater Day..
FAQs on World Theatre Day
Q1. When is World Theatre Day celebrated?
World Theatre Day is celebrated on March 27. The International Theatre Institute established this day in 1961 and since then, this day has been celebrated by every year. World Theatre Day is a celebration of the theatrical art form and raises awareness about its importance as performance art.
Q2. Why do we celebrate World Theatre Day?
World Theatre Day is commemorated to protect and promote dramas that people still enjoy today. Theatre has been utilised as a medium to portray our society, and it depicts culture and tradition from all over the world in many languages. Therefore, World Theatre Day is celebrated annually on March 27.
Q3. Who started World Theatre Day and when?
The International Theatre Institute started World Theatre Day in 1961. This day was established to highlight the importance of the theatre in society. The International Theatre Institute urges everyone to celebrate World Theatre Day in honor of the beautiful art form of the theatre.
Q4. How to celebrate World Theatre Day 2023?
World Theatre Day is celebrated with much enthusiasm around the world. Here are some of the ways in which World Theatre Day is celebrated:
- On this day, the International Theatre Institute invites renowned figures to share their thoughts about the theatre.
- People celebrate World Theatre Day by visiting the theatre to watch a show.
- People share information about this day on social media to express their support.
Q5. Why is World Theatre Day celebrated on March 27?
On March 27, 1961, the International Theatre Institute officially launched World Theatre Day. Therefore, every March 27 is commemorated as Theatre Day. The first time this day was celebrated was in 1962. Since then, World Theatre Day is celebrated by people around the world annually.
Q6. What is the theme of World Theatre Day 2023?
Over the years, the theme for World Theatre Day has remained the same, “Theatre and a Culture of Peace.” The celebrations for World Theatre Day revolve around the mentioned theme. The idea behind the theme is to help people realize the role of the theatre in spreading the message of peace.