World Coconut Day is celebrated every year on September 2 in several countries in the Asia Pacific region, including India. World Coconut Day was introduced in the year 2009. The main objective behind celebrating this day is to create awareness about the benefits and importance of coconuts.
The day is specially celebrated in countries of the Pacific and Asian region as they are the primary producers of coconuts worldwide. Furthermore, the event honours the foundation day of the Asia and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC). Let's look at the key highlights of International Coconut Day and the importance of coconut for humans.
World Coconut Day History
- The Asian Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) first introduced World Coconut Day in Jakarta.
- Celebrating the day aims to raise awareness about coconuts and their uses and benefits in different industries.
- APCC organises World Coconut Day every year to highlight and promote this versatile tropical fruit
World Coconut Day Significance
- In India, the National Coconut Board also administers coconut production and promotes various by-products made from coconut like chips, Energy drinks, Chutney, jams, etc.
- Indonesia is the world's largest producer of coconuts.
- Philipines ranks second, and India is the third-largest producer of coconuts.
- The southern part of India is a significant producer of coconuts, especially Kerela, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and some coastal regions of Maharashtra.
- The favourable climate required for the growing coconuts is a tropical climate with high humidity and well-distributed rainfall annually.
- Coconut doesn't just have health benefits but is also an economically affordable fruit. Every part of the coconut, from the husk to its water and fruit, is helpful.
- Coconut is a vital ingredient in global and local recipes, with coconut also being used in cosmetics and beauty products.
- Thus, International Coconut Day is organised to promote this fruit and highlight its benefits.
Events During Coconut Day in India
The following are the activities performed during coconut day in India.
- Try cracking and consuming a coconut at home.
Shop coconut from a shop and crack it using the easiest method. It’s fun, and you can watch Youtube videos to understand how to do this. Save the coconut water beneficial for health, and consume the pulp during your snack time.
Coconut is an integral ingredient in many South Indian dishes. If you are good at cooking, try coconut-based curries, coconut shrimp, coconut-lime rice, and coconut-crusted onion rings.
There are various sweet dishes made from coconut that you can bake like coconut Ladoo, coconut Barfi, coconut Kheer, etc.
Reason to Celebrate World Coconut Day
People loves coconuts as they are many ways to enjoy this fruit. Coconuts garnish a smoothie, cocktail, coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut water, and coconut oil.
- Not only just for cooking, but coconut is also suitable as a face wash, exfoliation, shampooing, or moisturising for your hair.
- Additionally, the shells of coconut are so robust that they form stunning bowls and buttons and even create the sound effect of horses’ feet.
- Coconut can add a delicious creaminess to any drink or dish.
- Raw coconut is highly beneficial for digestion and can be a perfect snack.
- Besides being delicious, coconuts have a high nutritional value as they possess iron, magnesium, fibre, and protein.
- The water of coconut is rich in sodium and potassium.
- The products of coconut play central roles in making gluten-free, soy-free, and vegan diets.
Benefits of Coconut
- Coconuts have proven to help treat cardiovascular diseases by controlling cholesterol levels.
- Coconuts can maintain Diabetes and blood sugar levels as coconuts are low in carbs and high in fibre and good fats.
- Coconuts have high nutritional value; they contain potassium, proteins, and minerals necessary for good body function.
- Coconuts are rich in iron and copper; this helps create red blood cells and selenium
- Coconut is considered an important antioxidant.
- Coconut helps treat severe dehydration by providing essential minerals and antioxidants to the body.
☛ Also Read: Weekly Current Affairs
World Coconut Day Theme
- International Coconut Day is mainly celebrated in the Asian Pacific region, with a unique theme each year.
- The theme for 2021 was "Building a Safe Inclusive Resilient and Sustainable Coconut Community Amid Covid-19 Pandemic & Beyond."
- The theme got selected to promote the use and production of coconut during the pandemic.
In India, Coconuts are called Kalpavriksha (the sacred tree that fulfils wishes) because of their innumerable uses and benefits for humans.
- Over 26% of people surveyed by National Today use coconut oil in their hair, and 22% use it for cooking their food.
- Coconut husks and fruit is also part of many Indian dishes, while coconut water is a favourite in the summer season.
- Indian government bodies like the Coconut Development Board (CDB) celebrate this day, and host events that help farmers, businessmen, and policy-makers come together and exchange ideas about coconut production.
International Coconut Day - Facts about Coconut
On the event of World Coconut Day 2022, listed are some of the fascinating truths about coconut fruit.
- Coconut takes 365 days to ripe.
- A single palm tree of Coconut can bear 100 coconuts annually.
- The word Coconut is a mixture of the word ‘Coco’ and the ‘nut’ in Portuguese.
- Asia contributes 90% to the production of whole coconuts worldwide.
- India and Indonesia are among the biggest exporters of Coconut in the world.
- Coconuts can stay floating over the water body due to their water-resistant nature and can traverse large distances.
- Coconut water can be utilised as a replacement for blood plasma.
- The tallest coconut tree grew to a height of 186 feet, whereas the average size of a coconut tree is 98 feet.
- Coconuts are beneficial for both human beings and dogs.
FAQs on World Coconut Day
Q.1. When is World Coconut Day celebrated?
World Coconut Day is celebrated every year on September 2. This day is celebrated by raising awareness campaigns to uplift the production of coconut regarding its usage.
Q.2. Why is National Coconut Day celebrated?
World Coconut Day is celebrated every year to promote and raise awareness of the importance of coconut fruit for our health, wellness, environment, and role in alleviating a population out of poverty.
Q.3. Who first celebrated World Coconut Day?
World Coconut Day was first celebrated by the Asian Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) while being adopted worldwide.
Q.4. What was the theme of World Coconut Day 2021?
The theme of World Coconut Day 2021 was "Building a Safe Inclusive Resilient and Sustainable Coconut Community Amid COVID-19 Pandemic & Beyond".
Q.5. How do we celebrate World Coconut Day?
To celebrate World Coconut Day, one can share facts about coconuts (also one of nature's healthiest food) or share, cook and eat coconut recipes and coconut-based foods.
Q.6. What is the theme of World Coconut Day 2020?
The theme of World coconut day 2020 was Building a safe, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable coconut community amid covid 19 pandemic and beyond.
Q.7. How do you wish for Coconut Day?
You can wish coconut day 2022 using the message - "By the grace of God, today is the end of monsoon season and the beginning of a season of fishing…. Wishing you a very Happy World Coconut Day."