Every year, 24th October is celebrated as World Development Information Day (WDID). This day is observed to discuss development problems on a global scale and invite public opinion on the same. World Development Information Day was officiated by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 1972, with the motive of inviting international cooperation to solve world development problems.
One of the key aims of World Development Information Day has been to motivate and inform young people about the ongoing developmental problems in the world. To learn more about this day and how it is interpreted, read the information given below.
World Development Information Day 2023
World Development Information Day 2022 will be celebrated on Monday, 24th October. WDID is an annual event to unite the global community to acknowledge world development problems and design innovative solutions. The UNGA encourages global thinkers and opinion makers to offer solutions to major world development problems by holding various events and public discussions on this day.
World Development Information Day (WDID)
United Nations General Assembly
24th October 2022
World Development Information Day Theme 2022
To be announced
To highlight development problems worldwide and seek international cooperation for solving them.
World Development Information Day Theme 2022
The United Nations General Assembly decides a theme for World Development Information Day every year. The events for the day are planned according to the theme. For this year, the UNGA has not announced the theme yet. However, it is expected to be shared shortly. Meanwhile, check the previous year's themes below:
- World Development Information Day Theme 2021 was "Action for Sustainable Development Goals"
- World Development Information Day Theme 2020 was "Information and Communication Technology – New Solutions to Development Challenges"
Interpretation of World Development Information Day
The UNGA intended World Development Information Day to primarily focus on spreading awareness about world development problems and seeking global opinions on solving them. However, there has recently been a shift in how World Development Information Day is interpreted. Here are the details about the same:
- On this day, certain influential organizations and individuals focus on discussing the significance of information technology in connecting people on world development issues.
- They believe that through the wide network of the internet and mobiles, public opinion on global development problems can be founded easily.
World Development Information Day is celebrated to attract the world's attention to global growth and development problems and the need for strong international cooperation in solving them. With the advent and technological development of social media, smartphones, digital advertisements, and the internet itself, communicating and disseminating information about global development problems has become more feasible. Therefore, the aim of the UNGA is gradually being met.
History of World Development Information Day
On 17th May 1972, during the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, a proposal was made to take suitable measures to spread the right of information and mobilize public opinion on world development issues. The UNGA passed this proposal on 19th December 1972 in the form of Resolution 3038 (XXVII). The following year, on 24th October 1973, the first World Development Information Day was celebrated.
International Development Information Day coincides with the 2nd United Nations Decade of Development International Development Strategy in 1970. It is also celebrated on the same day as United Nations Day, i.e., 24th October.
Significance of World Development Information Day
World Development Information Day is important because UNGA believes that if there is an improvement in the circulation of information, it will raise awareness of global development issues better and faster, especially among young people. Consequently, the solutions to these problems can also be found more efficiently. Here is some more information about World Development Information Day.
- The day's purpose is to enhance the spread of information on global development issues.
- Doing so will raise awareness of development issues and promote efforts to enhance cooperation toward international development
- World Development Information Day aims to explain to the general public why there is a need to strengthen international cooperation to find ways to solve such problems
- Information and communications technology have the potential to provide new solutions to globalization-related development challenges, promoting economic growth, competitive spirit, availability of information, access to deep knowledge, reduction in poverty, and social inclusion
- This day is held the same day as United Nations Day, emphasizing the centrality of development in UN activities.
- With the development of the digital age, the interpretation of the day has changed slightly, focusing on the role of state-of-the-art information technologies such as the internet and mobile phones in alerting people and finding solutions to trade and development problems.
How to Celebrate World Development Information Day
The importance of World Development Information Day has increased ever since the mode of communication and journalism have extended their relevance and reach through the internet. It is celebrated around the globe with much enthusiasm every year. Here are some of the ways in which this day can be celebrated:
- Attend talk sessions, seminars, and events.
- Educate yourself about the major world development issues.
- Try to come up with solutions to these issues and discuss them with the relevant people or organizations.
FAQs on World Development Information Day
Q1. What is World Development Information Day?
World Development Information Day is a day designated by the United Nations General Assembly to spread awareness about the key development issues in the world. This day is also observed to discuss the possible solutions to global development and trade problems.
Q2. When is World Development Information Day celebrated?
Each year, World Development Information Day is observed on 24th October. It is an annual event marked to discuss world development problems on a global scale and to encourage the youth of the world to find solutions for the same.
Q3. What was the World Development Information Day theme 2021?
The theme for World Development Information Day 2021 was "Action for Sustainable Development Goals." The theme for the current year has not been announced by the United Nations General Assembly yet.
Q4. How is World Development Information Day celebrated?
World Development Information Day is celebrated through various events focused on trade and development issues around the world. Several activities held during this day are for journalists working in various media, like social media, magazines, print media, television, etc.
Q5. World Development Information Day coincides with which day?
The other significant event that coincides with World Development Information Day is United Nations Day. Both the events are celebrated on the same day annually, on 24th October.