World Air Quality Report 2023 lists Delhi as the fourth most polluted city in the world, after Chiang Mai (Thailand), Kathmandu (Nepal) and Shenyang (China). World Air Quality Report provides you with an overview of the global air quality situation. It is a practical survey of 6,475 cities in 117 countries, regions, and territories worldwide.
It works as an awareness cycle that engages, educates, and inspires governments, citizens, businesses, and collaboration to create healthier communities and cities. In this article, we have shared the World Air Quality Report 2023.
World Air Quality Report
The annual World Air Quality Report published by IQAir compiles and compares millions of PM 2.5 measurements collected in thousands of locations around the world. The data is collected from a variety of regulatory and non-regulatory ground-based air quality monitors throughout the year.
Even though many parts of the world still lack access to publicly available air quality data, global air quality data increased in 2021. Check out the World Air Quality Report for the 50 most polluted cities from the table shared below.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Incheon, South Korea
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Seoul, South Korea
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Skopje, North Macedonia
Mexico City, Mexico
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Busan, South Korea
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Johannesburg, South Africa
Air Pollution Chart - Standard Metric
The standard metric for the World Air Quality Report was PM2.5 concentrations in micrograms per cubic meter (g/m3).
- PM2.5 is a fine aerosol particle of 2.5 microns, is one of six routinely measured criteria air pollutants, and is widely regarded as the most dangerous to human health. Its prevalence in the environment can cause a wide range of health effects.
- PM2.5 is produced by a variety of sources and can vary in chemical composition and physical properties, and characteristics. Sulfates, nitrates, black carbon, and ammonium are common chemical constituents of PM2.5. Internal combustion engines are the most common man-made sources.
- World Air Quality Report is generated by comparing these particles in the air.
- Dust storms, sandstorms, and thunderstorms are the most common natural sources of PM2.5 wildfires.
World Air Quality Report - India’s Ranking
According to IQAir, New Delhi has been named one of the world's most polluted city for several times in a row.
- The current most polluted cities are Chiang Mai (Thailand), Kathmandu (Nepal), Shenyang (China) and New Delhi (India).
- Some other Indian cities that have been listed on the World Air Quality Report several times include Bhiwadi, Ghaziabad, and Jaunpur.
World Air Quality Report - Significance
Air pollution is a concern that has been increasing steadily over the years and around 7 million deaths each year are a result of air pollution. Through World Air Quality Report, we get to know the status of the cities that are the most dangerous to live in.
- Diseases such as asthma, cancer, and even heart-related diseases are usually a result of air pollution.
- Specifically, during times of the COVID-19 pandemic, PM2.5 increases the risk of contraction of the virus and can cause the symptoms to be severe.
- The World Air Quality Report by IQAir works as an awareness cycle that engages, educates, and inspires governments, citizens, businesses, and collaborationism to create healthier communities and cities.
Air Pollution Chart - How to Tackle Air Pollution
The World Air Quality Report by IQAir provides you with an overview of the global air quality situation. The data presented is collected from a variety of regulatory and non-regulatory ground-based air quality monitors throughout the year.
Based on IQAir guidelines, here are some ways in which we can tackle air pollution together.
- Create more infrastructure to encourage pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
- Strengthen and enforce vehicle and industry emission limits.
- Adopt new air quality guidelines based on the World Health Organization's Air Quality Guidelines.
- Use forest management strategies to keep wildfires at bay.
- Prohibit the use of agricultural and biomass fuels.
- Create novel civic strategies to improve air quality.
- Reduce your energy consumption.
- Recycle, upcycle, and buy less to reduce waste.
FAQs on World Air Quality Report
Q1. What is India’s rank on the World Air Quality Report 2023?
India’s capital city, Delhi, ranks fourth on the World Air Quality Report 2023. Delhi follows Chiang Mai (Thailand), Kathmandu (Nepal) and Shenyang (China), which are the three most polluted cities in the world, according to IQAir.
Q2. Who publishes the World Air Quality Report?
IQAir publishes the World Air Quality Report every year for the world’s most polluted cities. No cities in India meet the WHO Air Quality Guidelines. As a result, there are many Indian cities that feature on the World Air Quality Report repeatedly.
Q3. Which is the most polluted city in the world according to the World Air Quality Report?
The most polluted city in the world according to the World Air Quality Report is Chiang Mai, Thailand. The cities that follow Chiang Mai include Kathmandu (Nepal), Shenyang (China), Delhi (India), and Kuwait City (Kuwait).
Q4. Which countries in South Asia have the worst air quality according to the World Air Quality Report?
India and Pakistan are the countries that have experienced the worst air quality according to the World Air Quality Report. Delhi, India’s capital is the fourth most polluted city in the world, according to the World Air Quality Report 2023.
Q5. Which are the most polluted cities in Asia according to the World Air Quality Report 2023?
The most polluted Aisan cities according to the World Air Quality Report 2023 are Chiang Mai (Thailand), Kathmandu (Nepal), Shenyang (China), Delhi (India), and Incheon (South Korea).