World Book Day, also known as World Book and Copyright Day, is celebrated on April 23 to promote the joy of reading books. Books bring stories from different cultures, times, and religions, to people all over the world. World Book Day highlights how important books are and how they act as a bridge between the past and the future.
UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) organizes many events and activities on this day. In this article, we have shared details of World Book Day, its theme, history, and significance here.
World Book and Copyright Day - Overview
World Book Day is celebrated on April 23, the birth anniversary of William Shakespeare. Also known as World Book and Copyright Day, and International Day of the Book, this day is dedicated to reading books. This day is also about acknowledging the role that books play in educating us, entertaining us, and shaping our view of the world.
On the occasion of World Book Day, UNESCO selects a World Book Capital every year. The World Book Capital this year is Accra, Ghana. Learn more about Book Day from the overview shared in the table below.
World Book and Copyright Day
World Book and Copyright Day Theme 2023
To be announced
World Book Capital 2023
To highlight the importance of the habit of reading books
World Book and Copyright Day Theme 2023
The theme of World Book and Copyright Day 2023 is yet to be announced. This day celebrates the spirit of reading books and is celebrated in many countries of the world. Last year, the World Book Day theme was "Read, so you never feel low."
On World Book and Copyright Day, UNESCO organizes events and activities centered on literature and reading. This day is also the perfect opportunity to emphasize the need to preserve and improve indigenous languages.
World Book Day - History
World Book and Copyright Day has a rich history. In 1922, the director of Cervantes publishing house, Vicente Clavel, shared the idea of celebrating a day in honor of Miguel de Cervantes. So, on October 7, 1926, the birth date of Cervantes, the first World Book Day was celebrated in Barcelona.
- In 1930, World Book Day was moved to the death day of Miguel de Cervantes, on April 23.
- By 1995, UNESCO adopted the day and declared April 23 as the official day of celebration.
- April 23 marks the birth and death anniversaries of several prominent writers, including William Shakespeare, Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, etc., so it was marked as World Book and Copyright Day.
World Book and Copyright Day - Role of Copyright
World Book and Copyright Day raises awareness about not only books but also copyright. Authors and aspiring authors must be aware of copyright. On the occasion of World Book and Copyright Day, we have shared information on copyright here.
- A copyright is a legal principle implemented by most nations that grant exclusive rights to authors or creators of creative work, usually for a set period.
- Put simply, it refers to the right to duplicate.
- On World Book and Copyright Day, people must educate themselves on copyrights and their significance.
- Copyright grants the author the credit for creating a particular book, or any other literary object. As a result, it is a type of intellectual property.
World Book and Copyright Day - Significance
On World Book Day, people worldwide pay respect to books and authors and urge other people to discover the joy of reading and introduce great writers from the past. The goal is to foster admiration for individuals who have contributed incalculably to social and cultural growth.
- The UNESCO Prize for Children's and Young People's Literature in the Service of Tolerance awards are also given out on World Book and Copyright Day.
- Also, individuals will have a better grasp of copyright laws and other steps to protect intellectual property on this day.
- Without a doubt, World Book Day has become a rallying point for people worldwide, mainly book industry stakeholders such as media, authors, and academicians.
- World Book and Copyright Day ensure that literacy is promoted in all forms and that people have access to all kinds of educational resources.
World Book Day - Activities
One of the most important activities of World Book and Copyright Day include the announcement of the World Book Capital. Every year, UNESCO and its advisory committee select a country from the world as the book capital for a year. On World Book Day 2023, The capital city of Ghana, Accra, was chosen as the World Book Capital.
Here are some other activities that happen on World Book and Copyright Day.
- Academicians and literature lovers get together on this day to discuss what they have brought to the world of literature.
- World Book Day is dedicated to honouring famous authors who died on this day, including Miguel Cervantes, Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, and William Shakespeare.
- All of these famous authors died on April 23, and hence it is a tribute to all of these great authors.
- UNESCO and other relevant organisations worldwide commemorate World Book and Copyright Day to honour authors and books, and encourage the art of reading.
FAQs on World Book and Copyright Day
Q1. When is World Book Day celebrated?
World Book and Copyright Day is celebrated every year on April 23. This day commemorates the death anniversary of many prominent authors, including William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, etc. So, April 23 is the perfect day to celebrate World Book Day.
Q2. What is the theme of World Book and Copyright Day 2023?
The theme of World Book and Copyright Day 2023 is yet to be announced. Every year, a new theme is announced on this day, around which the events of the day are organized. Last year, the World Book and Copyright Day theme 2022 was "Read, so you never feel low."
Q3. Who started World Book and Copyright Day?
The idea of World Book and Copyright Day was first shared by Vicente Clavel and the first World Book Day was celebrated in honor of Miguel de Cervantes on October 7, 1926. UNESCO officially adopted this day in 1995 and it has been celebrated on April 23 every year since.
Q4. Is World Book Day celebrated every year?
Yes, World Book Day is celebrated every year on April 23. This day commemorates the death anniversary of authors such as Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare. UNESCO officiated this day on April 23, 1995, and it has been celebrated every year around the world since then.
Q5. Why is World Book and Copyright Day celebrated on April 23?
April 23 is considered a significant day because that day marks the birth and death anniversaries of some of the best-known names in literature like Shakespeare, Cervantes, etc. Therefore, World Book and Copyright Day is the perfect occasion to honor these great names and the literature itself.
Q6. Which city is World Book Capital 2023?
Accra is the World Book Capital 2023. Accra is the capital city of Ghana and it was nominated as the book capital on the occasion of World Book and Copyright Day. Every year on World Book Day, UNESCO and its advisory committee select a city as World Book Capital.