United Nations Day is celebrated on 24th October to commemorate the establishment of the United Nations (UN) on 24th October 1945. The United Nations work as an intergovernmental organization to maintain friendly relations among countries of the world and to promote peace and security on a global level. United Nations Day is about honouring the international institution and spreading awareness about the work that it does.
Since its inception, the United Nations has been an essential global forum for solving complex problems that affect people everywhere. After World War II, the United Nations General Assembly declared United Nations Day to be celebrated on 24th October 24 annually. Learn more about the history and significance of this day here.
United Nations Day
United Nations Day is observed worldwide on 24th October annually. On this day, a concert is held every year in the General Assembly Hall of the Organization at the UN Headquarters in New York. UN Day marks the anniversary of the UN Charter and is a reminder to all to maintain global peace.
Many different countries pay tribute to the UN in many different ways on United Nations Day. As the organization is intergovernmental, representatives from countries around the world speak about the significance of the organization. Get a better overview of UN Day from the table below:
United Nations Day
24th October every year
United Nations General Assembly
UN Day 2022 Theme
Building Back Together for Peace and Prosperity
Aim of the Day
To mark the anniversary of the UN Charter and to honor the work of the intergovernmental organization
United Nations Day Theme 2022
To celebrate the United Nations Day, the organization specifies a unique theme each year. The celebrations revolve around the specified theme to keep it unanimous and to reflect on the goals of the organization. This year, the UN Day 2022 theme is "Building Back Together for Peace and Prosperity."
This year's United Nations Day theme aims to instill a sense of collective responsibility in people to maintain peace and prosperity on a global level. After all, prosperity can only come if nations maintain a friendly outlook towards one another.
UN Day - What is the United Nations?
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that overlooks global security and peace concerns. This is the world's largest governmental organization working for global welfare and international relations. Due to the purpose of this organization, the day of its conception is celebrated as United Nations Day every year on 24th October. Find more information about the UN here:
- The headquarters of the UN is located in New York. It also has offices in Vienna, Geneva, The Hague, and Nairobi.
- The UN was founded after WWII to maintain peace on a global level and to prevent any further wars.
- The United Nations have 193 member states with equal representation in the United Nations General Assembly.
History of United Nations Day
The history of UN Day can be traced back to 24th April 1945 when 50 governments of the world met for a conference in San Francisco to develop the UN Charter. The Charter was drafted with the aim of promoting peace on a global level and preventing any further wars after World War II. The United Nations Charter was ratified on 24th October 1945, and since then, this day has been celebrated as United Nations Day every year.
- United Nations Day, the anniversary of this international agreement - a milestone in history - is an occasion for looking back on past achievements and forward to the tasks ahead.
- It is an opportunity to commemorate and reflect upon what the United Nations is doing for them and what they can do for their organization.
- It is also a time to remind governments that they have pledged themselves "to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security" under the United Nations Charter.
There have been wars and conflicts between nations; however, it becomes even more tragic when we consider that fellow human beings were also killed during these times. Perhaps if there had been more emphasis on unity among people, fewer wars would have been. The objective behind observing the UN Day is to foster international peace and unity among countries and people worldwide.
UN Day Significance
On United Nations Day in 1945, the United Nations Charter came into force when most of its signatories, including the five permanent members of the Security Council, ratified it. The Charter was signed at a conference in San Francisco in June 1945 by 50 countries. Today, there are 193 Member States of the United Nations. Today, the organization's primary purposes are:
- Maintaining peace and security on an international level.
- Encouraging friendly relations among world nations.
- Attaining international cooperation to resolve economic, cultural, social, or humanitarian issues in the world.
How is United Nations Day Celebrated?
- On UN Day, the UN Secretary-General convenes special meetings and issues a message.
- In addition, the UN Peace Bell is rung at UN Headquarters and its other offices around the world.
- The UN aims to facilitate cooperation in international law, security, economic development, social progress, human rights, and the achievement of world peace.
- An annual concert is also held at the headquarters in New York on United Nations Day.
FAQs on United Nations Day
Q1. When is the United Nations day celebrated?
The United Nations day is celebrated on 24th October. This day marks the anniversary of the most recognized and trusted international organization, the United Nations. UN Day was conceived on the day when the UN Charter came into effect, on 24th October 1945.
Q2. Why is United Nations Day celebrated?
On United Nations Day, we celebrate the anniversary of the UN Charter's entry into force in 1945. This Charter was signed by 50 countries with the aim of maintaining peace on a global level and preventing any further wars after WWII.
Q3. What is United Nations Day 2022 theme?
United Nations Day theme 2022 is "Building Back Together for Peace and Prosperity." Every year, the celebrations of UN Day revolve around a unique theme, which is announced by the United Nations itself. This year's theme focuses on instilling a collective responsibility for maintaining world peace.
Q4. Which day is being celebrated as UN Day?
24th October is celebrated as United Nations Day because this date marks the date when the UN Charter came into effect in the year 1945. This Charter was signed by 50 different countries with the aim of maintaining global peace.
Q5. What is the United Nations' purpose?
The purpose of the United Nations is for all nations to work for peace and development based on the principles of justice, human dignity, and the well-being of all people. To celebrate this intergovernmental organization's existence, UN Day is celebrated annually on 24th October.