World Rhino Day is celebrated each year on 22 September. Dedicating a day to the majestic rhinoceros aims to celebrate its five different species and spread awareness about rhino conservation. The five species of the rhinoceros are:
- Javan Rhino
- Sumatran Rhino
- Black Rhino
- Greater One-horned Rhino
- White Rhino
NGOs, zoos, and other concerned organizations celebrate World Rhino Day by hosting talk sessions, peaceful demonstrations, fundraising events, etc. Through various events, these organizations emphasize the importance of saving rhinos.
World Rhino Day - History
In 2011, Lisa Jane Campbell sent a letter to a woman named Rhishja, who wanted to see and help the growth of all the five species of rhinos in the world. Due to the love of these two women for rhinos, World Rhino Day was conceptualized and introduced to people all over the world.
However, some species of the rhinoceros are on the brink of extinction. At present, there are around 100 Sumatran Rhinos left globally, and only between 60-65 Javan rhinos left. Therefore, World Rhino Day is an attempt to amplify the urgent need for rhino conservation.
World Rhino Day Important Facts
Every year on World Rhino Day, demonstrations and talks are held centered on a specific theme. Organizations and individuals passionate about wildlife, particularly rhino conservation, come together to celebrate this day. Here are some facts about rhino day:
Date of Celebration
World Rhino Day 2021 Theme
Keep the Five Alive
Status of Rhino Species
The Five species of Rhinoceros -
White Rhino - Near Threatened
Black Rhino - Critically endangered
Greater One-Horned - Vulnerable
Javan - Critically Endangered
Sumatran Rhino - Critically Endangered
World Rhino Day - Conservation Efforts by India
India actively advocates for the conservation of rhino species. The country is home to three rhino species: the Indian Rhino, Sumatran Rhino, and Javan Rhino. World Rhino Day is celebrated with great passion in the country. Here is the list of some rhino conservation efforts made by India:
- The Ministry of Environment and Forests presented the National Conservation Strategy for Indian One-Horned Rhino.
- Its strategy has enhanced the management of grasslands, which helps in reducing the adverse effects of climate change.
- To protect the rhinos, the New Delhi Declaration on Asian Rhinos 2019 included signatures by India, Indonesia, Bhutan, Nepal, and Malaysia.
- MoEFCC, The Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change initiated the Project to create DNA profiles of all rhinos.
World Rhino Day Significance
World Rhino Day is significant because it is a day when people come together to amplify the issue of rhino conservation. It aims to raise awareness about the protection of the rhino population. The five species of rhinoceros are on the verge of extinction. There are several reasons for this, such as the following:
- Consistent habitat loss over several years.
- Poaching of rhinos.
- Illegal rhino horn trade.
- Low population density.
World Rhino Day Celebrations
Everybody should participate in the celebration of World Rhino Day. Rhino conservation would only be possible through collective efforts. Here, we have a list of ways in which we can celebrate rhino day this year.
Explore more about rhino-friendly organizations - On World Rhino Day, you can connect with organizations that work for the cause. There are many organizations that take part in the events to promote the safety of rhinos. Some of them are:
- World Wildlife Federation: The WWF, or the World Wildlife Federation, has been working for many years to protect the population of rhinos and improve their security by helping law enforcement and preventing illegal trading.
- Save the Rhino International: This organization started in 1992. Save the Rhino works on complex challenges to raise money in parts of the UK to make efforts for the safety of rhinos. They also work on educating the communities and groups about the goal of saving rhinos from any threat.
- International rhino foundation: This organization offers its support through various grants and field programs in Rhino-affected areas.
- Helping Rhinos organization: this organization works on pairing baby rhinos with people. People who want to offer their support can adopt a baby rhino and keep it as a pet.
Share your knowledge with friends and family - Rhinos are a symbol of strength and resilience. We should not let this species disappear from the earth. You can build communities with family and friends and spread awareness about the same. The celebration of World Rhino Day should start with people deciding to educate themselves about the condition of rhinos in the world. This will help us take the actions required for their safety.
FAQs on World Rhino Day
Q.1. When is World Rhino Day celebrated?
World Rhino Day is celebrated on 22 September every year. This day is celebrated to spread awareness about the ever-decreasing rhino population and to advocate for rhino conservation.
Q.2. What is the aim of World Rhino Day?
World Rhino Day helps NGOs and other concerned organizations to celebrate and spread awareness about these animals. It is also a day to ponder about the importance of saving the different species of rhinos.
Q.3. What are some rhino-friendly organizations to collaborate with on World Rhino Day?
World Rhino Day is a great time to work with organizations that work for the welfare of these animals. Some rhino-friendly organizations to collaborate with on World Rhino Day are:
- World Wildlife Federation
- Save the Rhino International
- International rhino foundation
- Helping Rhinos organization
Q.4. What was the World Rhino Day 2021 theme?
World Rhino Day 2021 theme was “Keep the Five Alive.” This theme indicated the need to strive for the conservation of the five different species of the rhinoceros, namely, Javan Rhino, Sumatran Rhino, Black Rhino, Greater One-horned Rhino, and White Rhino.