Teachers' Day is celebrated annually in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. He was an academician known for his outstanding contribution to the Indian education sector, which is why his birthday is celebrated as Teachers' Day every year.
Teachers' Day is observed every year on the 5th of September to mark a tribute to the contribution made by teachers to the society. Teachers' Day in India is observed to appreciate teachers. It is celebrated by honouring teachers from various fields for their contributions to the area. Or, they are appreciated for their service and contributions to the community in general.
History of Teachers' Day
Many countries began celebrating Teachers' Day in the 19th century, mainly to honour and appreciate a vital educator or commemorate a milestone in education specific to their country.
- Due to this, the Day is celebrated on different dates in different countries.
- For example, in Argentina, the death of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, an activist, intellectual, and the second President of Argentina, has been commemorated as Teachers' Day on September 11, 1915.
- National Teachers' Day has been observed in India on September 5 since 1962 to commemorate Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan's birth anniversary.
- He was a respected scholar, a Bharat Ratna laureate, India's first Vice-President and the second President.
Teachers' Day - About S. Radhakrishnan
- India's first Vice President and second President were Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- His book, 'The Philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore,' brought Indian philosophy to the world's notice.
- Advaita Vedanta was the foundation of his philosophy. He was a key figure in creating contemporary Hindu identity, defending Hinduism against "uninformed Western critique."
- He developed a reputation as a bridge-builder between India and the West.
- He is believed to be one of the founders of HelpAge India, a well-known NGO in India that helps the aged and underprivileged.
- Dr S. Radhakrishnan has contributed significantly to various theoretical, theological, moral, educational, communal, and other enlightening subjects.
- He contributed to several prestigious magazines and published multiple pieces in them.
- In 1962, Dr Radhakrishnan was elected President of India.
- Some of his friends and pupils approached him and asked if he would allow them to celebrate his birthday on September 5.
"Instead of quietly commemorating my birthday, it would be my arrogant privilege if September 5 is scrutinised as Teachers' Day," Dr S. Radhakrishnan remarked.
A request from India's President demonstrated Dr S. Radhakrishnan's affection and dedication to teachers. Since then, Teachers' Day has been celebrated in India on September 5.
Importance of Teachers Day 2022 in India
Teachers Day is a memorable occasion wherein students get a chance to show affection and admiration for their teachers. This Day marks a meaningful event for both teachers and students.
The Day is important lets students to comprehend the efforts their teachers put in to assure that they get a moral and factual education. Similarly, teachers also look forward to Teachers’ Day as their struggles get prominent and glorified by their learners.
Teachers' Day - Objectives
As the saying goes, a country's future is in its children's hands, and teachers, as mentors, may transform pupils into future leaders who determine India's destiny.
They play a significant part in our lives by assisting us in achieving professional success. They help us become better human beings, members of society, and citizens of the country.
☛ Also Read: Daily Current Affairs
Teachers Day Significance
National Teachers' Day is observed in India on September 5 to commemorate Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan's birth anniversary. He was a respected scholar, a Bharat Ratna laureate, India's first Vice-President, and the country's second President.
- On September 5, 1888, he was born.
- He was a distinguished envoy, academician, and excellent teacher.
- He was an advocate of information, an outstanding envoy, an academician, and a great teacher.
- His birthday is commemorated as National Teachers' Day in India.
- Teacher's Day is observed to honour the difficulties, sacrifices, and unique responsibilities teachers play in our lives.
- Its goal is to promote awareness about teachers' roles in providing high-quality education at all levels and to enhance teaching conditions in the country.
Teachers' Day Events
Teachers should be admired and appreciated. The President of India presented the National Teachers Awards on the eve of Teachers' Day, on September 5, to deserving teachers in India.
- Awards are given on Teachers' Day to excellent teachers in primary, middle, and secondary schools as a token of public appreciation.
- National Teachers' Day celebrates the spirit of every teacher in India and how they contribute to building a more robust economy.
- It is also a mark of commemoration of the birth anniversary of S. Radhakrishnan.
Teachers Day Celebration Ideas 2022
Every one of us does have a mentor or a teacher. We should not miss the Teachers Day celebration as the Day lets us display appreciation for their service. There are various ways to thank any Teacher or Guru on Teachers' Day in India, and the helpful teachers' celebration ideas are listed.
- Making a handmade greeting card is the perfect way to share your emotions with your favourite teacher.
- Deliver a motivational or touching speech on Teachers Day 2022.
- You can write captivating words about any teacher you admire the most.
- You can plan a party for your teacher and invite his/her family to celebrate the Day with joy.
- Visit a gift shop and purchase a unique present for teachers to surprise them on their special Day.
- Mainly in schools, colleges, and other institutions, Teachers' Day is celebrated enthusiastically. A proper decoration and function are arranged to make teachers feel extra special about themselves.
- Students practice short acts, dance, or music performances to show appreciation for all the teachers working in the organisations.
Teachers' Day Greetings
Pay consideration to your mentor or teacher for offering appropriate guidance and assisting in shaping your future by sending the best messages and quotes. Do not forget the special Day, and recall to wish them a very Happy Teachers Day in 2022 with the beautiful lines given below.
- "Teachers have three passions: love of understanding, love of students, and the love of getting the first two loves together." – Scott Hayden
- You have always been an incredible mentor who knew how to inspire your students. Happy Teacher's Day!
- It is a privilege to learn so many specialities from you. Your generous words motivate me every time. Happy Teachers' Day!
- "It is the ultimate skill of a teacher to arouse joy in imaginative expression and wisdom."- Albert Einstein.
- "The true trainers allow us to think for ourselves." -Dr S Radhakrishnan.
- The finest teachers kindle the spark within you to find the solutions to the query yourself. Thank you for torching that voice in me!
- Thank you so much for prompting me to be the most acceptable version of myself. Happy Teacher's Day!
FAQs on Teachers' Day
Q.1. Why Teachers Day is celebrated?
Teachers' Day is celebrated to celebrate the efforts of all teachers and generally commemorates a vital educator in society.
Q.2. On whose birthday is Teachers' Day celebrated in India?
Teachers' Day is celebrated on the birthday of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. He was born on September 5, 1888. After he got designated as the second President of India, his students intended to celebrate his birthday as Teachers day.
Q.3. When is Teachers' Day in India?
Teachers' Day is glorified on September 5 annually. The Special Day observes the birthday of India's one-time President and awardee of Bharat Ratna, Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
Q.4. Since when India is celebrating Teachers' Day?
National Teachers' Day has been celebrated in India since 1962, when Dr Radhakrishnan took the pledge as the President of India; Teacher's Day is celebrated to acknowledge his work.
Q.5. Which awards are given out on Teachers' Day?
The National Teachers Awards are given out on Teachers' Day. During Teachers day 2021 in India, President Ram Nath Kovind gave this award to 44 teachers.
Q.6. Why is Teachers Day celebrated on September 5?
Teachers' Day is honoured on September 5 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr Sarvopalli Radhakrisnan, India's first Vice-President and second President after Independence between 1962 and 1967.