Bank holidays in Assam 2023 include days of religious or national importance. Assam is one of the Northeastern states of India. This state is home to the one-horned rhino and is also known for its fine tea, silk, and oil. It is rich in cultural heritage, because of which many festivals and occasions are celebrated in Assam. Many of these occasions are also observed as bank holidays in Assam.
Assam has national, international, and state bank holidays to mark regional and religious festivals. We have shared the complete list of bank holidays in Assam 2023, along with details about the holidays, here.
Bank Holidays in Assam 2023
Many public occasions are observed as bank holidays in Assam. Since it is a state with a rich cultural history, several public and regional occasions are celebrated in the state. Some of the most important occasions observed as bank holidays in Assam are Magh Bihu, Me-Dum-Me-Phi, Bohag Bihu, Diwali, Christmas, etc.
The Assam bank holidays can be categorized into the following:
- Gazetted holidays
- Religious holidays
- Public occasions
- International days
List of Bank Holidays in Assam 2023
Check out the date of the special occasions observed as Assam bank holidays 2023. We have shared the date, name of the bank holidays in Assam and the region where it is observed in the table below.
Date and Day
Assam Bank Holiday
Type of Occasion
14 January 2023 (Saturday)
23 January 2023 (Monday)
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti
26 January 2023 (Thursday)
31 January 2023 (Tuesday)
18 February (Saturday)
08 March 2023 (Wednesday)
07 April 2023 (Friday)
13 April 2023 (Thursday)
Bohag Bihu Holiday
14 April 2023 (Friday)
B.R. Ambedkar Jayanti
22 April 2023 (Saturday)
01 May 2023 (Monday)
05 May 2023 (Friday)
29 June 2023 (Thursday)
15 August 2023 (Tuesday)
02 October 2023 (Monday)
18 October 2023 (Wednesday)
23 October 2023 (Monday)
24 October 2023 (Tuesday)
12 November 2023 (Sunday)
19 November 2023 (Sunday)
27 November 2023 (Monday)
Guru Nanak Jayanti
25 December 2023 (Monday)
Assam Bank Holidays 2023 - Details
Learn more about the significance of bank holidays in Assam 2023. The following information will help you understand why certain days are considered so relevant in the state. Check out the details of regional Assam bank holidays here.
Magh Bihu (14 January)
- The other name for Magh Bihu is Bhogali Bihu.
- It means eating “Bhog” in Assamese, which is associated with enjoyment and feasting.
- It is a harvest festival where feasts are held, and bonfires are lit.
- Games like buffalo fighting and Tekeli Bhonga (pot-breaking) are played on this bank holiday in Assam.
- Traditional dishes like rice cakes, Til Pitha, Sunga Pitha, and Laru are also prepared.
Me-Dum-Me-Phi (31 January)
- The Ahom people celebrate this festival which dates back to the 12th Century.
- It is a festival that shows respect to ancestors – “Me” offerings are offered to “Dam” ancestors and “Phi,” gods.
- On this Assam bank holiday, families make a pillar called Damkhuta and worship it.
- Dishes of rice, meat, and fish are prepared, as well as a Prasad called Mah Prasad made of beans and chickpeas, is also prepared.
Bohag Bihu (13 April)
- Bohag Bihu is a very important festival and bank holiday in Assam 2023.
- It marks the start of the harvest season, and the farming community gets together to pray for a good harvest.
- This year, Bohag Bihu will be celebrated from 13 April to 20 April 2023.
Kati Bihu (18 October)
- Also called Kangali Bihu, it is a harvest festival, and the Assamese celebrate it by lighting lamps or candles across the state.
- It is also one of the most important bank holidays in Assam 2023.
- Women pray to Goddess Lakshmi and light mustard oil lamps in their paddy fields.
- They also light a special lamp called Akaxh Banti (sky candle). These lamps are held high on the top of a tall bamboo stick.
As you can see, Assam bank holiday list 2023 consists of regional, national, international, and religious holidays. This comprehensive list should help you plan your bank visits throughout the year.
FAQs on Bank Holidays in Assam
Q1. How many bank holidays are there in Assam 2023?
Assam bank holidays in 2023 include Magh Bihu (14 Jan), Republic Day (26 Jan), Me-Dum-Me-Phi (31 Jan), Holi (08 Mar), Good Friday (07 Apr), Bohag Bihu (13 Apr), Id-ul-Fitr (22 Apr), May Day (01 May), Independence Day (15 Aug), Gandhi Jayanti (02 Oct), Mahanavami (23 Oct), etc.
Q2. Is 1st May 2023 a bank holiday in Assam?
Yes, 1 May 2023 will be a bank holiday in Assam for some private and public banks. 1 May is celebrated as May Day or Labour Day in many parts of the world. It is an international holiday that commemorates the movement initiated by laborers to protest against exploitation in work.
Q3. Which are the fixed bank holidays in Assam?
Many public occasions are observed as fixed bank holidays in Assam. Gazetted holidays like Republic Day, Independence Day, and Gandhi Jayanti are fixed bank holidays. Besides this, every second and fourth Saturday and every Sunday is also observed as fixed Assam bank holidays.
Q4. Is tomorrow a bank holiday in Assam?
To know the bank holidays in Assam, refer to the list of all bank holidays in the state. This list consists of international days, important public holidays, and religious days. The list of Assam bank holidays 2023 will help you plan your bank visits accordingly.
Q5. Where can I find the list of bank holidays in Assam 2023?
You can find the list of Assam bank holidays 2023 here. The list of bank holidays in the state includes occasions such as Magh Bihu (14 Jan), Republic Day (26 Jan), Me-Dum-Me-Phi (31 Jan), Holi (08 Mar), Good Friday (07 Apr), Bohag Bihu (13 Apr), Id-ul-Fitr (22 Apr), May Day (01 May), Independence Day (15 Aug), etc.