The Laureus World Sports Awards honour the most inspiring sporting triumphs of the year annually. In 2000, the Laureus World Sports Awards were held for the first time. Sportswoman, Sportsman, Team, Breakthrough, Comeback, and Action are the six categories honouring athletes.
The winners are determined by the number of votes received. The winners in each shortlisted category are chosen by the Laureus World Sports Academy, which comprises a unique group of sporting legends. Discretionary honours, such as the Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award, are also available from the Academy.
The Laureus Sporting Moment of the Year award is determined by a global public vote and honours one remarkable tale that epitomises the power of sport to inspire and bring people together. Through the Laureus Sport for Good Award, the Awards Ceremony also recognises one programme for its extraordinary work in changing the lives of young people all across the world.
Laureus World Sports Awards 2021
Rafael Nadal, a tennis legend, won the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award 2021 at a virtual awards ceremony held on May 6, 2021, in Seville, Spain. Naomi Osaka has been named the 2021 Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year. Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, all of the winners of the Laureus World Sports Awards 2021 were announced online from the Spanish city.
The Bayern Munich football team earned the Laureus World Team Award. At the same time, Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton was named Athlete Advocate of the Year for his tireless efforts to raise social consciousness. Billie Jean King received the Laureus World Sports Lifetime Achievement Award.
List of Winners: Laureus World Sports Awards 2021
- Rafael Nadal is the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year.
- Naomi Osaka is the Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year.
- Bayern Munich is the Laureus World Team of the Year.
- Patrick Mahomes wins the Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year award.
- Max Parrot wins the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award.
- KICKFORMORE by KICKFAIR is a Laureus Sport for Good winner.
- Billie Jean King receives the Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Lewis Hamilton is the Laureus Athlete Advocate of the Year.
- Mohamed Salah, Laureus Sporting Inspiration
- Chris Nikic wins the Laureus Sporting Moment of the Year award.
Facts about the Laureus World Sports Awards
- The word 'Laureus' comes from 'Laurel,' which is used as an athletic victory sign.
- It was founded in 1999, and the first award ceremony was held in Monte Carlo in 2000.
- In 2000, Nelson Mandela gave a speech at the inaugural Laureus World Sports Awards ceremony.
- It takes place once a year.
- The Laureus World Sports Awards are frequently referred to as the "Oscars" of sports.
- Mercedes-Benz IWC Schaffhausen and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group are World Sports Awards' global partners.
- Roger Federer holds the record for most awards won by a single athlete. Five' sportsperson of the year' awards and one 'comeback of the year' award have been bestowed upon him.
- Lionel Messi is the first footballer named 'Sportsman of the Year.' In the year 2020, he received the honour.
- Aside from the six categories, the Laureus Awards are given out in a variety of discretionary types regularly:
- Sport for Good Award Lifetime Achievement Award
- Exceptional Achievement Award Spirit of Sport Award
- Sporting Excellence Award
FAQs About Laureus World Sports Awards
- Who has won the most significant number of Laureus World Sports Awards?
Roger Federer has received the maximum number of Laureus World Sports Awards.
- Who was the footballer to be called ‘Sportsman of the Year’?
Lionel Messi has won the 'Sportsman of the Year' title in 2020.
- Which Indian was nominated for the Laureus World Sports Awards in 2022?
Neeraj Chopra was nominated for the Laureus World Sports Awards from India in 2022.