In Bihar, a clear glass sky bridge that is being built to encourage tourism activities seems to be almost prepared to embrace visitors from all over the world. The glass bridge, India's first, is being built amid picturesque five hills in Rajgir, Bihar, designed to enhance the number of domestic and international tourists to the state.
Why is it in the News?
Bihar is ready to welcome the rest of the world with a glass footbridge that will bolster intrastate tourism in Rajgir. This is the first glass bridge in India, and it will allow visitors from around the globe to enjoy a new kind of experience, with an eye on boosting tourism.
The spectacular glass bridge is now under construction and will be completed by March of next year. Bihar CM Nitish Kumar has ordered officials to enlist the assistance of specialists to ensure the bridge's safety, stability, and protection.
Key Points of Bihar Glass Bridge
- The Bihar glass bridge is modelled after China's Hangzhou glass bridge. This 85-feet-long, 6-feet-wide bridge will hold up to 40 people at a time.
- The bridge was built using a number of 15 mm glass mirrors. The mirrors are 45 mm thick and entirely clear.
- Visitors wandering over it would seem as if they were flying in the air, according to officials. This bridge could accommodate up to 40 guests at a time. However, the government is also worried about the safety of visitors. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar made a visit to the worksite and personally inspected it.
- The glass sky bridge, which has been dubbed an architectural marvel, is the centrepiece of a 500-acre Nature Safari being constructed.
Nalanda University, The World-Renowned Ancient University
The Nalanda district, which is home to the world-renowned historic Nalanda University, designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, has been long recognized as a focal point for intellectual pursuits. It was at Rajgir that the famous Bodhi tree resides where the great Buddha attained his enlightenment in the 6th century BC. As well as being an area rich with Buddhist history, it is also where Buddha preached his philosophies to his disciples. The Buddha's doctrines were written down in Rajgir- the first Buddhist Council, according to legend.
The site is constructing a jungle safari, and the glass bridge will become a centrepiece of this nature safari. The government has donated 500 acres of the ancient Budh Marg to the skywalk's development.
According to authorities, tourists can engage in archery, cycling, and hiking. It also includes mud and tree huts, a wooden cabin, and a medicinal park. Another highlight of this jungle Safari is rope-assisted air cycling.
The jungle safari will take visitors deep into Rajgir's lush forests and the ropeway will have roughly 18 glass-enclosed cabins. Each cabin will accommodate eight passengers and travel a trip of 750 meters in 5 minutes. Other attractive places being built by the government include a butterfly park. Cottages will be available for lodging.
Is this glass bridge the first in India?
According to reports, the first glass bridge in Bihar has been built in the style of a stunning glass bridge in China's Hangzhou region. This is actually India's second glass bridge, but it is the first of its kind in the country. The first one envisaged in Uttarakhand's Rishikesh is yet to be completed.
After the historic Lakshman Jhula, built-in 1923, was deemed unsuitable for tourists, the Uttarakhand government declared that it would be replaced with a glass bridge. The new bridge's overall length and breadth will be 132.2m and 8m, respectively, while the floor will be 1.5m wide. The building of this bridge, however, is yet to begin.
The bridge is expected to be completed by March next year and will be made to withstand the ravages of nature. It will be one of the most unique bridges in the world. Being transparent, it will give a feeling of walking in the air and also give a view of nature.
FAQs About Glass Bridge in India
- Which state has the first glass bridge in India?
In Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India's first Glass Bridge will be constructed spanning the Ganga.
- Which city of Bihar has built a glass bridge?
Rajgir, Nalanda district city of Bihar has built a Glass Bridge
- What is the Length of the Glass Bridge in Bihar?
85-feet is the Length of the Glass Bridge in Bihar
- Where is the Highest Glass Bridge in the World?
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge is the Highest Glass Bridge in the World