People experience grief, pain, sadness, and loss. But it is important to understand that happiness can change things. Happiness is important in life as it promotes positive thinking and better health and uplifts our moods. Spreading happiness and smiles can light up others' lives and empower them to make others happy.
The International Day of Happiness aims at elevating happiness in people's lives.
International Day of Happiness History
Jayme Illien is the founder of World Happiness Day (UNIDOHappiness). The day was officially accepted and sanctioned by the United Nations under resolution 66/281 in July 2012. It has been celebrated since 20th March 2013.
In partnership with the President of the World Happiness Foundation, Luis Gallardo, Jayme is also the founder of "Happytalism".
The importance of happiness was realised by the United Nations and resulted in the observance of the day. The resolution was first launched in Bhutan.
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated by doing what makes you and everyone around you happy. Some of the activities and events include happy flash mobs, meditation, laughter yoga, and screening documentaries and films with happiness as the theme.
International Day of Happiness Significance
After accepting happiness as a fundamental goal of people, the United Nations has coordinated with Action of Happiness, a non-profit group of people from over 160 countries, to support and promote the idea of being and spreading happiness. Happinessday is another organisation that aligns with the goal of spreading happiness.
The goal of these organisations is to spread light, inspiration, hope, and happiness to all who wish to live a fulfilling life. The organisation selects the official theme for World Happiness Day and promotes it by providing ten steps to achieve global happiness.
International Day of Happiness 2022 - 10 Steps to Global Happiness
The theme of International Day of Happiness 2022 is "Happiness for all, Ukraine". The ten steps to global happiness around this theme include
- To tell everyone - about the International Day of Happiness and the Russian war against Ukraine, humanity, and the United Nations.
- To-Do - What makes you happy.
- Give - Happiness to people who have been displaced from Ukraine, Iraq, Yemen, Ethiopia, Venezuela, Syria, Sudan, Myanmar, and more.
- Attend - The events organised for the International Day of Happiness during the World Happiness Week.
- Celebrate - To celebrate the International Day of Happiness and promote it through social media.
- Share - Share the events and information on social media using hashtags #happinessday, #choosehappiness, #createhappiness, #Internationaldayofhappiness, and #happinessforallukraine.
- Promote - Promote the resolution and spread happiness.
- Advance - Advance to several global goals set by the United Nations for sustainable development.
- Enjoy Nature - Nature imparts calmness and freshness that minds need for being happy. It is important to go outside, connect with nature, and enjoy outdoor activities like walking, river walking, outdoor gaming, or just having a picnic.
- Adopt Happytalism - Finally, adopt the idea of adopting holistic, equal, inclusive approaches to economic development and work towards the goals of eradicating poverty, sustainable development, and keeping health, well-being, and happiness at the centre of our life.
Happiness increases when we share it with others. The goal of World Happiness Day is to consider happiness as a fundamental right and goal for people. Along with being happy, it is important to spread happiness. For 2022, the theme is to wish happiness for Ukraine and spread awareness about them.
FAQs on International Day of Happiness
Q.1. In which month is the International Day of Happiness celebrated?
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated on 20th March every year.
Q.2. Why is the International Day of Happiness celebrated?
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated to spread awareness of the importance of being happy.
Q.3. What is the theme for the International Day of Happiness 2022?
The theme for the International Day of Happiness 2022 is Happiness for all, Ukraine. The theme calls to stand for the people of Ukraine and humanity.
Q.4. How is the International Day of Happiness celebrated worldwide?
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated by engaging in activities with the theme of happiness. This includes laughter yoga, meditation, happy flash mobs, and much more.
Q.5. Who is the founder of the International Day of Happiness?
Jayme Illien is the founder of the International Day of Happiness. In partnership with the President of the World Happiness Foundation, Luis Gallardo, he also is the founder of Happytalism.