The HRIDAY Scheme is also known as the National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana. This central government initiative focuses on urban planning, economic growth, and heritage preservation in selected cities. The scheme was launched on 21 January 2015, and the mission period ended on 31 March 2019.
This scheme is designed to develop and maintain heritage cities according to their aesthetic appeal. It also makes them accessible and informative and provides a secure environment.
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has implemented this scheme. The scheme will be implemented based on quantifiable goals, and the scheme's implementation follows the same Smart City Scheme.
The Objectives of the HRIDAY Scheme
As mentioned, this scheme was started with a focus on heritage sites, i.e., These sites will be more easily accessible and urbanized while still preserving the spirit of the area. To achieve its goals, the government is open to private sector participation.
Below are the objectives that make up the core ideology or the basis of the HRIDAY Scheme.
- To plan, develop, and execute the construction of heritage-specific and sensitive infrastructure.
- This includes service delivery and infrastructure development in the core areas of historic city centres.
- This scheme is designed to preserve and revitalize the heritage city and connect tourists to its unique character.
- This scheme will also develop and document the city's heritage assets inventory. It will include the cultural heritage and the built, living heritage, and natural heritage. This will be the foundation for the city's urban planning, growth and development, and eventual planning and delivery of services.
- The scheme also aims to improve the city's essential services, focusing on sanitation and water taps. It also provides the latest security technologies like street lights, improving tourist facilities, and providing more security.
- To increase the local capacity of an industry that is heritage-based.
- To establish a link between tourism and cultural facilities in the city.
- To preserve heritage in selected cities.
- Use adaptive maintenance to rehabilitate the urban heritage using the appropriate technology.
- Retrofitting historical buildings with modern amenities is necessary to ensure a proper retrofit.
- This scheme also creates a public-private partnership to preserve and maintain historic buildings.
- To encourage economic activities that will increase employment opportunities for residents. This scheme will also promote local skill development to ensure that all can access public spaces and cultural areas.
- To use the most modern technology to improve security in the city.
☛ Also Read: Current Affairs 2022 PDF
List of Cities in the HRIDAY Scheme
The scheme has identified 12 cities that will receive detailed and systematic efforts by the government to achieve its goals under the HRIDAY Scheme.
These are the cities covered by the HRIDAY Scheme.
Indicative Components of the HRIDAY Scheme
The HRIDAY Scheme is based in large part on the following four components that renew and revitalize the spirit of heritage cities.
- Physical Infrastructure
- Institutional Infrastructure
- Economic Infrastructure
- Social Infrastructure
What Are The Expected Outcomes of the HRIDAY Scheme?
With concrete goals in mind, the HRIDAY Scheme was created. These are just a few of the many.
- Provide a clean and safe environment for citizens and tourists.
- To improve urban infrastructure, including basic facilities for existing and new tourist attractions.
- Conservation and rehabilitation of heritage sites and monuments
- To increase the participation of locals in promoting tourism and employment opportunities.
- To promote and boost tourism by offering exceptional services to increase tourist flow with extended stays.
- To ensure social safety and decrease crime at tourist sites.
- To improve the quality of life and the economy of the area.
FAQs on HRIDAY Scheme
Q1. Who launched the HRIDAY Scheme?
On 21 January 2015, the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India launched the National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana scheme (HRIDAY), focusing on the holistic development of heritage-rich cities.
Q2. What are the cities that participate in the HRIDAY Scheme?
HRIDAY Scheme will be focused on the development of twelve heritage towns and cities. These are:
Q3. What is the full form of HRIDAY?
The HRIDAY Scheme, known in full as the National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana was launched on 21 January 2015.
Q4. Name two important objectives of the HRIDAY Scheme.
The HRIDAY Scheme is designed to plan, develop, and execute the construction of heritage-specific and sensitive infrastructure, including service delivery and infrastructure development in the core areas of historic city centres.