Gujarat Day, observed on May 1, commemorates the formation of Gujarat state in India. Gujarat was carved out of the Bombay State on May 1, 1960, after the Bombay Reorganisation Act, 1960. People of Gujarat celebrate Gujarat Day by attending cultural programs that showcase the heritage of the state.
The coastal states of Gujarat and Maharashtra were bifurcated from the Bombay State based on cultural distinctiveness. In this article, we have shared details about Gujarat Day, its history and significance.
Gujarat Day 2023
Gujarat Day marks the day on which the Gujarati-speaking region was separated from the Bombay State on May 1, 1960. The state of Gujarat is located on the western coast of India and is home to people of a rich and distinct culture. On Gujarat Foundation Day, special processions and events are organised in Patan town.
The Gujarat Chief Minister wishes the people of the state and highlights the achievements of the state. Learn more detials aout Gujarat Day from the overview in the table shared below
May 1 (every year)
May 1, 1960
Government of India
To commemorate the establishment of Gujarat as a separate state in India.
Gujarat Day: History
Earlier, Gujarat used to be a region in the Bombay State of India but it was separated in 1960. Gujarat Day is observed to commemorate this occasion and to celebrate Gujarat as an independent state of India. Here, we have shared the complete history of Gujarat Foundation Day.
- The Government of India passed the Bombay Reorganization Act, 1960.
- After this, the regions of Maharashtra and Gujarat were carved out of the Bombay State.
- Gujarat became an independent state on May 1, 1960.
- To celebrate the formation of this state, people celebrate May 1 as Gujarat Day.
Gujarat State Formation
Gujarat Day is a special occasion for the people of Gujarat because their state was officially established on that day. Here are the details about what led to the formation of Gujarat state:
- Gujarat was a part of the Bombay State till 1960.
- Due to major cultural, political and linguistic differences, people demanded a separate state for Gujarat.
- The 1950s were a time of political turmoil and protests.
- On May 1, 1960, the state of Gujarat was carved out of the Bombay State and included the regions of Ahmedabad, Kutch and Saurashtra.
- May 1 is annually celebrated as Gujarat Day to honor the occasion.
Significance of Gujarat Foundation Day
Gujarat Day, also known as Gujarat Sthapana Divas, is an occasion to honor the local state culture. This day is celebrated enthusiastically by Gujarati people, who take pride in their unique culture. Gujarat Foundation Day is a significant occasion because it commemorates the date of the formation of Gujarat state.
People celebrate this occasion by getting together and organising or participating in many cultural programs. Our Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, also hails from Gujarat and shares Gujarat Day wishes to mark the occasion.
Gujarat Day: Celebration
The celebration of Gujarat Day is a big affair in the state. People come together to attend cultural programs and other events on this day. Here are some exciting ways in which people celebrate Gujarat Foundation Day.
- In the town of Patan, numerous cultural programs are organised to celebrate Gujarat Day.
- People attend local events, seminars, and shows to get familiar with Gujarati culture.
- The most enjoyable part of celebrating Gujarat Foundation Day is the kite festival. People fly kites from their rooftops on this day.
- People sing the state anthem "Jai Jai Garvi Gujarat" and offer puri-aamras to deities in temples.
- Gujarat Day celebrations are concluded by a show of fireworks and cultural programs.
Gujarat Day Wishes
The people of Gujarat are very keen on celebrating Gujarat Day. They share good wishes on this day and pray for their state. Wish your friends and family on Gujarat Foundation Day with the following messages:
- “Gujarat is not merely a state; it is a way of living. Happy Gujarat Day!”
- "Let’s celebrate Gujarat’s commitment to excellence and its entrepreneurial spirit"
- “Celebrate your culture and become one with it today. Happy Gujarat Foundation Day!”
FAQs on Gujarat Day
Q1. What is Gujarat Day and when is it celebrated?
Gujarat Day is a day commemorating the formation of Gujarat as a separate state of India. The government of India passed the Bombay Reorganization Act, 1960 to establish Gujarat as a separate state. Gujarat Day is celebrated on May 1 to celebrate this historic decision.
Q2. How many years of Gujarat Day?
This year will mark the 63rd Gujarat Day on May 1, 2023. Gujarat was declared a separate state from the Bombay State on May 1, 1960. It was carved as a separate state due to major linguistic and cultural differences. To mark the occasion, May 1 is celebrated as Gujarat Foundation Day every year.
Q3. Why is Gujarat Day celebrated?
Gujarat Day is celebrated to honor the decision of the government to make Gujarat an independent state of India. Before 1960, Gujarat was a part of the Bombay State. Due to political, cultural and linguistic differences, people started demanding a separate state. Hence, Gujarat was formed on May 1, 1960.
Q4. How is Gujarat Day celebrated?
On Gujarat Day, people participate in a number of engaging activities such as kite-flying and cultural programs such as dance, music, etc. People also offer puri-aamras to deities in the temples. Another highlight of Gujarat Foundation Day is singing the state anthem "Jai Jai Garvi Gujarat".
Q5. Why is May 1 celebrated as Gujarat Day?
May 1 is celebrated as Gujarat Day because on that day in 1960, the state of Gujarat was officially formed. Gujarat was a part of the Bombay State before 1960 and was carved out along with the territories of Ahemedabad, Kutch and Saurashtra. Gujarat Foundation Day commemorates the establishment of this state.