The founder of Google is the duo of Larry Page and Sergey Brin. They started developing Google as a project at Stanford University to find files on the internet. They launched the search engine named ‘Google’ on 4th September 1998. Today, Google is the most used search engine in the world and the founders of Google are renowned globally.
Larry Page and Sergey Brin worked together at the school’s computer science graduate program. Learn more about the founders of Google, including their net worth, and history here.
Founders of Google
Google is a popular search engine that was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in the year 1998. This search engine has become a part of our everyday lives and its users include everyone ranging from students to engineers and multinational corporations. The founders of Google initially called it “BackRub” because the search engine relied heavily on backlinks.
The word “Google” is a misspelt version of “googol”, which refers to the number ten raised to the power of a hundred. Larry Page and Sergey Brin were still in college the year google was founded. We have shared a brief overview of the founder of Google here.
Google Founder Name
Larry Page and Sergey Brin
The Year Google was Founded
4th September 1998
Current CEO of Google
California, United States
What is Google?
Google is a search engine that was registered on 15th September 1997 and the company got incorporated on 4th September 1998. The founders of Google, Larry and Sergey invented Google's PageRank algorithm together. They initially named Google “BackRub” as the system checked backlinks to estimate the importance of a site.
The founders of Google later changed the name to Google, inspired by the word “Googol.” This name was picked to signify that the search engine was initiated to provide information in huge quantities.
About Google Founders - Larry Page and Sergey Brin
In 1996 August, Larry Page and Sergey Brin met at Stanford University, developed PageRank and founded Google. The founders of Google then launched the search engine on 4th September 1998. Here is the timeline of what happened after:
- In 1999, Page and Brin tried to sell Google for $1 million, and then $750,000.
- In 2001 August, Page gave up his CEO role to Eric Schmidt.
- In 2002, Yahoo wanted to buy Google for $3 Billion, but Page and Brin do not agree.
- In August 2004, Google goes public with a valuation of $27 billion as the founders of Google created super-voting Class B shares.
- In August 2005, Google founder Larry Page bought Android for $50 million without informing Schmidt.
- In October 2006, Susan Wojcicki, the 16th employee at Google, convinced Page and Brin to approve the acquisition of YouTube.
- In September 2008, Google launched Chrome Browser with the precedent efforts of Sundar Pichai, the new CEO of Google.
- In January 2011, the founder of Google, Larry Page, took over all over again as Google CEO, and Schmidt shifted to the Executive Chairman post.
- In June 2012, Brin showcased the Google glass prototype with a live skydiving demo.
- In the same year, Page suffers from vocal cord paralysis.
- In May 2013, Page disclosed his vision for Google Island.
- In August 2015, Google was restructured as ‘Alphabet.’
- In 2016, after handing over the control of Google to Pichai, Page diverted his attention to investing in ‘Flying Cars.’
- Even Brin stepped down from his role at Google at the time he became the president of ‘Alphabet.’
- In 2019, both the founders of Google, Brin and Page announced their plans to step back from Alphabet and appointed Pichai as CEO
FAQs on the Founder of Google
Q1. Who is the founder of Google?
The founders of Google are Larry Page and Sergey Brin. When they first worked on Google, they were PhD students at Stanford University, California. The founders of Google developed a new algorithm for search engines that could analyze the relationship between websites and relied heavily on backlinks.
Q2. When was Google founded?
Google was founded in September 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin. They started their research work on Google in 1996 as research students in Stanford University. By 4th September 1998, Google was officially launched and became a company with Larry Page and Sergey Brin as co-founders.
Q3. What is the net worth of Google’s founder?
The collective net worth of the founders of Google is USD 7,600 crores. Google grew as a company rapidly and has now become the most used search engine in the world. The net worth of Google is $1.163 Trillion and it is the world’s 4th most valuable company.
Q4. Who is the real owner of Google?
The real owner of Google is Larry Page, but both Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded it. Together they own about 14% of its publicly-listed shares and control 56% of the stockholder voting power through super-voting stock.
Q5. Who was the third founder of Google?
The project work for Google initially involved Scott Hassan, unofficially known as the "third founder" of Google. He was the lead programmer who wrote a significant part of the code for the Google Search engine. However, Hassan left before Google was founded as a company officially and therefore, is not considered a founder.
Q6. Who was the first CEO of Google?
The founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin hired Eric Schmidt as the first CEO of Google. Schmidt was the CEO of Google from 2001 to 2011 and was made the executive chairman from 2011 to 2015. The current CEO of Google is Sundar Pichai.