The Ministry of Labor and Employment (MoLE) has developed the e-SHRAM portal to create a national database of unorganized workers (NDUW), maximizing employability and expanding the benefits of social security systems.
This is the first national database of unorganized workers, including migrant workers, construction workers, gig workers, platform workers, etc.
e-SHRAM Portal Objectives
- Create and collaborate with Aadhaar using a centralized database of all unorganized workers (UWs) that incorporates a list comprising gig and platform workers, domestic workers, immigrant workers, street vendors, construction workers, farmers, etc.
- Improve the implementation of social security services, especially for unorganized workers.
- Integrate UW's social security system managed by the MoLE and other ministries.
- Filter information related to registered unorganized workers, which are shared and managed by various stakeholders such as central and state government departments/boards/agencies/organizations via APIs.
- Offer a variety of social security and welfare schemes.
- Transfer social security and benefits to migrant and construction workers.
- Provide a comprehensive database for central and state governments to address national crises like COVID-19 in the future.
Advantages of the e-Shram Portal
Members of the e-Shram portal have certain benefits. The Directorate General of Employment and Welfare (DGLW) shares that the e-Shram portal has over 25 million registrations.
- e-Shram members can use the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY). The program is offered to individuals aged 18-70 with a bank account who have agreed to participate in automatic withdrawals before May 31 of the coverage period from June to May.
- Workers registered on the e-Shram portal are also registered on the PMSBY, and the first year's premium will be borne by the Ministry of Labor and Employment of India.
- Workers registering on the e-Shram portal can get free COVID-19 vaccinations at ESIC hospitals or the nearest vaccination centre in their district.
Step by Step Procedure to Register on the e-Shram Portal
Step 1: Sign in to the official website eshram.gov.in
Step 2: Click the "Register with eSHRAM" link, fill in their details, and submit their specifics on the home page.
Step 3: Enter the mobile phone number and capture code associated with Aadhaar and click Send OTP.
Step 4: Complete the registration process
Workers who do not have a mobile number linked to Aadhaar can access the nearest common service centre (CSC) and register using their biometrics.
FAQs About e-Shram Portal
Q.1. Who can register on the e-Shram portal?
Anyone who is classified as an Unorganized Worker (UW) and whose age is between 18-59 years can register on the portal.
Q.2. What do you need to register on the e-SHRAM portal?
To register for the portal, one needs the following:
- Aadhar number
- Mobile phone number linked to Aadhaar
- IFSC code savings account number
Q.3. How to register on the e-Shram portal?
Visit the e-SHRAM portal: www.eshram.gov.in to self-register or access the nearest CSCs or State Seva Kendras (SSKs).
Q.5. Is there any advantage to registering on the e-SHRAM portal?
After registration, workers can get access to accident insurance, social benefits, support in emergencies and situations such as a pandemic, etc.