Ethernet is used for sharing media and uses Carrier Sense Multi-Access Detection technology. The problem with media sharing networks is that the Media collide and causes disruption when there is traffic. To solve this problem, Ethernet has the feature of rolling back the media to the host in times of collision and then retransmitting them after some time. Going by the LAN Technologies (Ethernet) book, you should know the different Ethernet connection types and their uses. Ethernet follows the star topology with 100 meters as its segment length.
LAN Technologies (Ethernet) GATE questions come in many exams, including CAT, GATE CS, PDU CS, SDE interviews and more. LAN Technologies (Ethernet) online tests also form a part of various state and national level exams.
Important LAN Technologies (Ethernet) Topics for GATE CS
Ethernet is a broad topic and has a vast syllabus. The major topics for LAN Technologies (Ethernet) study material for GATE CS are given below.
Fast Ethernet can run on UTP, wireless and optical fibre for optimum speed and provide up to 100 MBPS speeds.
Giga Ethernet runs more quickly than the fast Ethernet as it can go up to 1000 Mbits/ second and are standardized by the IEEE802.3ah over UTP.
It acts as a medium to divide the single broadcast domain into multiple ones.
Tips to Solve/Prepare LAN Technologies (Ethernet) Questions for GATE CS
The following are some tips that you can follow while solving LAN Technologies (Ethernet) questions. Prepare for the topic by solving last year question papers well.
- LAN Technologies (Ethernet) GATE questions and answers PDF are based on the media sharing mediums, including LAN. Hence you should focus on the network and communication for programming topics.
- Prepare excellent LAN Technologies (Ethernet) notes for the GATE that contains all the details of the networks. Those LAN Technologies (Ethernet) GATE notes will help you in revisions.
- Practice on LAN Technologies (Ethernet) online quiz from online sites. These online tests help you in preparation for the real exam.
- Be clear with the LAN Technologies (Ethernet) topics for GATE CS as many repetitive topics such as giga-ethernet, fast-ethernet, virtual LAN and more.
Importance of LAN Technologies (Ethernet) in GATE Exam
Here's why the tree is an integral part of the GATE and other competitive exams.
- It checks whether you make a secure media transfer between two systems using the fastest possible route. It also checks your grasp on the LAN Technologies (Ethernet) GATE syllabus.
- The weightage of this topic is 2% to 5% in the exam.
- GATE requires you to acquire the basic knowledge of networks and communication. It helps to maintain the accuracy of any shared media medium.
- These concepts are used in real-life situations as software engineers/ network analysts to solve various network and sharing issues.
Most Recommended Books for LAN Technologies (Ethernet) for GATE
The following are some excellent LAN Technologies (Ethernet) books for computer science that can help you prepare for the LAN Technologies (Ethernet) syllabus for GATE.
The All-New Switch Book
High-Speed LAN Technology
Diman D. Chowdhury
LAN Technologies Explained
Why Prepare LAN Technologies (Ethernet) from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
It is an online source of knowledge that covers excellent quality tutorials and questions regarding the topic. You can get all the preparatory materials like LAN Technologies (Ethernet) quiz, LAN Technologies (Ethernet) MCQ PDF, LAN Technologies (Ethernet) MCQ questions, and more from BYJU'S Exam Prep website. These preparatory materials are a valuable source to test your exam preparation levels and boost your main exam performance. To prepare well for the exams, our experienced educators have designed LAN Technologies (Ethernet) notes for GATE CS and LAN Technologies (Ethernet) notes for GATE PDF for students that help you in the revision.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What is Ethernet?
Ethernet is a media-sharing medium that helps you to transfer and communicate with other systems over the server.
Q. What is the importance of a LAN?
LAN is a secure connection of servers and hosts that interacts in a limited space. The full form of LAN is a local area network.
Q. Which specification was used by the traditional Ethernet?
The 10BASE-T specification was used by traditional Ethernet with 10 MBPS speed.
Q. Who invented Ethernet?
Bob Metcalfe invented Ethernet in 1970 along with D.R. Boggs. It was a very efficient media-sharing medium.
Q. What's the maximum extension that can be done by fast-Ethernet?
The maximum extension can be done on the optical fibre for fast Ethernet with up to 2000 meters in full-duplex mode.