Our series, ‘Newspaper Wordlist’ aims to help you completely understand the commonly used words with their meanings, pronunciations, synonyms, antonyms, proper use in sentences, etc.
Here is an important editorial for you from ‘The Hindu’, followed by important words from the same, to help you strengthen your vocabulary.
Important Words from the Article
1. Word: Helm (नियंत्रण)
- Pronunciation: helm/हेल्म
- Part of Speech:
a. a wheel or tiller by which a ship is steered (Noun)
b. the entire steering apparatus of a ship (Noun)
c. the place or post of control (Noun)
d. to steer; direct (Verb)
- Synonyms: control, tiller, rudder
- Antonyms: uncontrolled, muddle, rebellion
- Usage in a sentence: In January, a new president will take the helm.
2. Word: Change of guard (अवस्थांतर)
a. Any situation in which an individual or group charged with a task or responsibilities in an organization is replaced by another individual or group.
- Synonyms: alter, modify, change of power, the transition of power
- Antonyms: continuity, persist, stay
- Usage in a sentence: The changing of the guard says something about the two companies.
3. Word: Ramification (जटिलता)
- Pronunciation: ram-uh-fi-key-shuh n/ रैमफकेशन
- Part of Speech: Noun
- Meaning: a complex or unwelcome consequence of an action or event.
- Synonyms: branch, offshoot, consequence, division
- Antonyms: cause, origin, root, causation
- Usage in a Sentence: In her memoir, Fowler, who’s remained mostly quiet since then, opens up about the decision to share her story and the ramifications of going public.
4. Word: Nimble (कुशल)
- Pronunciation: nim-buhl
- Part of Speech: Adjective
a. quick and light in movement or action; agile.
b. (of the mind) able to think and understand quickly.
- Synonyms: agile, quick, swift, clever
- Antonyms: clumsy, slow, awkward, sluggish
- Usage in a sentence: A nimble mind backed by a degree in economics gave him a firm grasp over financial matters.
5. Word: Pushover (आसान काम)
- Pronunciation: poosh-oh-ver
- Part of Speech: Noun
a person who is easy to overcome or influence
b. a thing that is very easily done.
- Synonyms: walkover, breeze
- Use in a Sentence: Colonel Moore was benevolent but no pushover.
BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series: Unlimited Access to ALL Mock Tests
6. Word: Contemplate (विचार करना)
- Pronunciation: kon-tuh m-pleyt?कान्टम्प्लेट
- Part of Speech: Verb
a. look thoughtfully for a long time at.
b. think deeply and at length.
- Synonyms: consider, ponder, meditate
- Antonyms: neglect, discard, abrupt
- Use in a Sentence: My granny usually goes to the park to sit and contemplate.
7. Word: Crossing Swords (बहस करना)
- Part of Speech: Phrase
- Meaning: to disagree or argue with someone about something
- Synonyms: argue, fight, quarrel, dispute
- Antonyms: agree, see eye to eye, come to terms with
- Usage in a Sentence: The two of them have crossed swords many times before.
8. Word: Get the marching orders (बर्खास्तगी का आदेश)
- Part of Speech: Phrasal Verb
a. an order from a superior officer for troops to depart
b. (informal) notice of dismissal or discharge
- Synonyms: Boot someone, discharge, fire someone
- Antonyms: welcome, allow, hire someone
- Use in Sentence: She was called into the boss's office and given her marching orders.
9. Word: Brazen (निर्लज)
- Pronunciation: brey-zuhn/ब्रेज़न
- Part of Speech: Adjective, Verb
a. obvious, without any attempt to be hidden (Adjective)
b. made of brass (Adjective)
c. to make brazen or bold (Verb)
- Synonyms: bold, shameless, cheeky, insolent
- Antonyms: timid, shy, shameful
- Usage in a sentence: He told me a brazen lie.
10. Word: Double-edged sword (दुधारी तलवार)
- Pronunciation: duhb-uhl-ejd-sohrd/ डबल एड्गेद सोर्ड
- Meaning: If you say that something is a double-edged sword or a two-edged sword, you mean that it has negative effects as well as positive effects.
- Synonyms: blessing and a curse, mixed blessing
- Usage in a sentence: Economic globalization also brings deep effluence to China, which is like a double-edged sword, with opportunities and challenges in it.
Based on the description of the words, we have some practice questions for you. Answer these questions in the comments section. Our team will review them at the earliest!
Exercise 1. Make your own Sentences.
Here are some of the words from the above article. Try to frame sentences from them in your own words and share them with us in the comments section!
- Double-edged sword
Exercise 2: Match the columns.
Share your answers in the comment section.
The benefits of subscribing Online Classroom Program are:
- Structured Live Courses with a daily study plan
- Complete Access to all the running and upcoming courses of all CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams (IIFT, XAT, SNAP, TISSNET, MICAT, MH-CET-MBA, CMAT, NMAT etc.)
- NO NEED to purchase separate courses for different MBA exams
- Prepare with India's best Faculty with a proven track record (7 faculties with decades of experience)
- Complete Doubt Resolution by Mentors and Experts
- Performance analysis and Report card to track improvement
To SPEAK to our counsellors, please call us on 9650052904
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai!