IIT Kharagpur, also known as IIT KGP was born in 1950 and the first batch with 224 fresher students and 42 teachers were seen in August 1951. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur was the first-ever IIT to be established and is recognized as an institute of national importance. IIT KGP’s motto is “Yogah Karmasu Kaushalam” which literally means “Excellence in Action is Yoga”. IIT KGP’s management wing named “Vinod Gupta School of Management” was established in 1994 by Dr Shankar Dayal Sharma, Founder and Ex-Chairman of InfoUSA, Inc.
IIT Kharagpur MBA: Getting admission in IIT KGP for pursuing an MBA is something of huge importance for anybody. According to NIRF 2020 ranking, IIT KGP ranks 5th in the whole nation when a list of management colleges is prepared. IIT KGP has turned out to be a huge contributor in various fields. The facilities at IIT KGP are one of the best in India.
IIT Kharagpur MBA Eligibility Criteria
Candidates seeking admission to the MBA programme must check the IIT Kharagpur MBA Admission Criteria.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology or Master's degree in Science, Economics or Commerce (with Mathematics or Statistics at Bachelor's level).
- A candidate should have a bachelor’s degree of minimum 4-year duration in engineering, technology, medicine, pharmacy, or similar disciplines.
- A 5-year integrated Bachelor’s and Master’s degree would be considered as equivalent to a 4-year Bachelor’s degree for the admission process and the candidate will not get extra points in their Application Rating (AR) score
IIT Kharagpur Eligibility Criteria: Minimum marks required
- The candidates which belong to the General (GEN) or NC-OBC category should have a minimum of 60% marks (or CGPA of 6.5 on a 10-point scale)
- The candidates belonging to the SC/ST/PwD category should have a minimum of 55% marks (or CGPA of 6.0 on a 10-point scale)
- For both the above cases, if the CGPA is on a different scale than 10.0, the eligibility of the candidates will be evaluated corresponding to the equivalence stated above
IIT Kharagpur Eligibility Criteria: Final year students
Candidates who are in the final year of their graduation and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply for the entrance exam. However, such candidates, if selected, their admission to the program will be provisional, only if he/she submits a certificate from the competent authorities of his/her university/college/institute stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements needed in the bachelor’s degree. Candidates whose results are yet to be declared of their final examination, subject to the condition for qualifying the examination in all respects before joining the institution. They should have a mark sheet/certificate as evidence for qualifying the examination
- Candidates must be in good health. In case of any discrepancy found in the certificate of medical fitness to be submitted during registration, the suggestion of the Institute Medical Officer will be considered as final
- Candidates belonging to the PwD category should appear before the Medical Board. The Decision of the Medical Board will be considered as final
IIT Kharagpur MBA admission
Check all the details about IIT Kharagpur MBA Admission 2021 below. The detailed IIT Kharagpur MBA admission criteria and selection process is explained.
First of all, candidates seeking admissions need to fill the CAT Exam form (for Indian candidates). Indian candidates have to then appear for the CAT examination (which usually happens in late November every year)
IIT Kharagpur MBA cut off
There is a specific cut-off set by the IIT-KGP for every CAT based programme and the students need to score at par or above that in order to get themselves screened-in for the subsequent rounds.
CAT 2020 Overall Percentile Cut-Off
IIT Kharagpur MBA admission process
The admission in IIT-KGP is a two-stage process:
The candidates who have fulfilled the minimum-academic eligibility criteria for IIT-KGP are short-listed for the WAT-PI round on the basis of CAT-2020 scores.
- Candidates who obtain a positive raw score in all the 3 sections of CAT will only be considered. Non-domestic candidates (overseas category) should have a total scaled GMAT score of at least 750 for being considered for shortlisting
- Overall, CAT score out of 20, Application Rating (AR) score out of 20 and Gender Diversity Factor (GDF) shall be added to get the score for short-listing the candidates.
- 2 marks will be given to all female candidates for GDF. However, GDF will not be considered for the final composite score calculation.
- The Application Rating considers the applicants’ academic performances (marks obtained) at various stages of academic progression, such as secondary (10th/matriculation), higher secondary (12th/intermediate), undergraduate (bachelor’s degree), and postgraduate (master’s degree if any), along with professional work experiences
- Candidates with work experience have an added advantage over fresher candidates
In the 2nd stage, the selection is done based on the cumulative score of the application rating (AR), performance in CAT (for domestic candidates) or in GMAT (for non-domestic candidates) and the student’s performance in PI process
- During the PI process, the panel will evaluate the academic performance, general awareness, social disposition, personality, attitude, communication skills, quality of work experience etc.
Criteria and weights for final selection to IIT Kharagpur MBA
Personal Interview (PI)
- The final stage of selection will be based on merit scores
- The candidates short-listed for PI shall be intimated via e-mail in due course of time
- As far as international students are concerned, they need to appear for the GMAT in place of CAT, rest all the procedure remains almost similar to that of the Indian candidates
IIT Kharagpur Courses
IIT Kharagpur offers a variety of courses for an MBA. Check the details below.
- Business Management (MBA)
- IIT Kharagpur Executive MBA (MBA-Ex)
- Post-Graduation Diploma in Business Analytics (PGDBA)
IIT Kharagpur MBA Fees
- The programme fee for Full-Time MBA for 2021-23 – 11.7 Lacs
IIT Kharagpur Scholarship Provisions
Scholarships are provided to the students through various schemes. Around 1000 students receive financial assistance from various corporations, foundations and external agencies. More than 1000 students receive scholarships on the basis of Merit-cum-Means.
All the students admitted for the MBA programme offered by IIT Kharagpur, except the students belonging to SC and ST (who are eligible for Post Matric Scholarship of their respective State Governments), will be eligible for the award of the Merit-Cum-Means (MCM) scholarship. Scholarships are also offered through:
- Inspire Scholarship
- Free Mess and Pocket Allowance
- My Imprint Special Assistance
- Organizational Scholarships & Fellowships
- Alumni Scholarships & Awards
- SGR International Travel Grant
- Incubation Support for Student Enterprises
Apart from this, Hundreds of Endowment Prizes and Free Tuition offered by the IIT-KGP. Also, various commercial banks and financial institutions provide variety of loans to the students
IIT KGP Student-exchange Program
Student-exchange program offers a short-term visit by the students to international institutes for exploring as well as knowing about the various cultures around the world. It is conducted between the two institutions on a reciprocal basis. The visiting candidate must be a full-time person enrolled in a degree program. Student-Exchange program is opened to full-time undergraduate and graduate students of each Home Institution. The students must ensure that they are academically prepared to meet the requirements of their respective programme. IIT-KGP has a partnership with various international institutes.
IIT Kharagpur MBA Placements
Check the IIT KGP Placements record below along with details about IIT Kharagpur MBA average package.
Based on the past records, it's evident that those who have maintained their academic CGPA above 7.5 in any of the disciplines and have participated in various extra-curricular activities, almost 98% students have been fortunate in getting the placement of their choice.
- A total of 220 companies from different sectors of the industry such as Analytics, Software, Consulting, Banking, and Finance visit the campus during Phase-I of the recruitment process for the year 2020
- The recruiters offered the average salary of 18.1 LPA
- The highest salary offered for the batch 2018-20 was 29 LPA
- The average CTC of top 25% students for the batch 2018-20 was 23.2 LPA
As you have gone through the content of IIT-KGP, you must be having idea of how to pursue this course. Getting admitted into IIT-KGP is not that easy, but surely possible. You have to work hard to turn your dreams true. We suggest all our aspirants to prepare well and for that we recommend you to download the BYJU'S Exam Prep app. This will provide you current affairs videos as well as maths quizzes. It will also enhance your vocabulary power. Download the BYJU'S Exam Prep App NOW and grab the opportunities available.
The benefits of subscribing Online Classroom Program are:
- Structured Live Courses with a daily study plan
- Complete Access to all the running and upcoming courses of all CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams (IIFT, XAT, SNAP, TISSNET, MICAT, MH-CET-MBA, CMAT, NMAT etc.)
- NO NEED to purchase separate courses for different MBA exams
- Prepare with India's best Faculty with a proven track record (7 faculties with decades of experience)
- Complete Doubt Resolution by Mentors and Experts
- Performance analysis and Report card to track improvement
To SPEAK to our counsellors, please call us on 9650052904
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai!