Statistics is one of the most important topics for students preparing for defense exams and similar competitive exams. It is included in the syllabus because it helps in gauging a candidate's potential in data collection, interpretation, presentation, employment of correct analysis in a way to present the result effectively. It basically generalizes the collected sample data to be understood by everyone. Statistics questions for defence exams are often tricky, and a student needs to solve them tactfully and quickly to score well.
Apart from the CDS, AFCAT, NDA, CAPF, and other defence exams, the Statistics is also included in the syllabus for other government and public sectors exams of such as SSC, Railways, LIC AAO, and banking exams like IBPS Clerk, PO, SBI Clerk, RBI Grade A, and B, PO, IBPS RRB Clerk, and PO. So statistics topic is something that you must not skip. Let us see some more aspects of this chapter in this article.
Important Statistics Topics for Defence Exams
Statistics syllabus defence exams include the following topics:
Frequency Distributions and Graphing
Here, you will learn about the concept of the frequency distribution of data and different types of graphing, such as tabulation, bar graphs, pie charts, and line graphs.
Rankings in a Distribution.
It is a way of job evaluation.
You will learn about mean, mode, and median here.
It determines the degree of spread of scores around the mean.
It measures the number of how many standard deviations above or below a population's raw score is.
Estimation and Sampling Distributions.
The sampling distribution is the probability distribution of statistics that is obtained from a sample drawn from a certain population.
It is the numerical description of how frequently an event occurs.
Tips to solve statistics questions for Defence exams
Here are some tips that you should flow for enhancing your skills in solving statistics problems in any competitive exam:
- Conceptual clarity: Once you are clear with the concepts, attempt the statistics quiz for the defense exam. You can even opt for statistics online test for defense exams to check how well you are prepared for the entrance tests.
- Accuracy: Download a statistics practice test with answers and observe the best methods used for solving them. Then invest time in solving as many statistics practice sets as possible to improve your accuracy as well as efficiency.
- Make statistics notes for defense exams: Before starting preparations, it is better to take notes of the statistics definition and different statistics formulas with examples. It is common to get confused when there are many expressions, so when you list out various statistics expression formulas.
- Utilize time efficiently: Initially, you can see that solving a question takes a lot of time, but when you download and practice the Statistics problems with solutions, your time management skills will improve.
- Practice well: Download statistics questions and answers pdf and learn statistics tricks and tips for defense exams.
Importance of Statistics in Defense Exams
Here are some reasons why studying statistics is important:
- Statistics help students to learn about data collection techniques and the right analysis methods for presenting results in an effective way to others.
- This section measures the efficiency of a student in handling a complex set of data to determine something in the least possible duration. Also, the candidate's efficiency is measured from this section because a small error can ruin all the efforts by resulting in wrong answers.
- In data collection, study, and extraction of relevant information from complex data, statistical analysis plays a crucial role. This analysis is applied for validating and conducting further research work in order to make better business decisions as well as drive public initiatives.
- It plays a significant role in the discoveries in science and making decisions on the basis of available data to make predictions about the things happening around us.
Recommended Books to Practice Statistics for Defence Exams
Some books that can help you in preparing statistics for defence exams are as follows:
Fundamental of Statistics
Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics
S. Chand and Sons
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
Why Prepare Statistics from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
With BYJU'S Exam Prep, you can learn the key concepts of statistics. It provides statistics study material pdf and statistics practice problems pdf so that you can come across statistics practice quizzes of varying difficulty levels. This makes you confident enough to face any type of questions in the competitive exams. BYJU'S Exam Prep further helps you learn various tricks so that you can apply them during the exam to solve questions as these are time savers and with consistent practice only, you will get a good hold on them.
Statistics Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I practice statistics questions online?
Yes, online sites like BYJU'S Exam Prep are mandatory while preparing for competitive exams because they provide the latest pattern that can be expected in the upcoming exams, in the form of sample and practice test sets.
2. How to attend the maximum number of questions from the statistics section?
You need to opt for the shorter and easier questions first, which consume less time. Then opt for the lengthier ones later, to increase the number of attempts.
3. Is it east to score in the statistics section?
Yes, but with sufficient practice, otherwise you will get confused during the exam.
4. Can statistics online tests help a candidate in defence exams?
Yes, because the online tests help a student know their his preparation level for the main exam.
5. Can I start preparation for the statistics section a few months before the exam?
No, this is because, even if you can get clarity on the concepts, you will lack time in practicing various types of problems, which will make you lose your confidence level in the main exam.