1. Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2021
- Mercedes’s Lewis Hamilton (UK) won the British Grand Prix 2021 (record 8th time).
- The win was the 99th of seven-times world champion Hamilton's Formula One career, fourth of the current campaign.
- The event was held at the Silverstone Circuit in the United Kingdom.
- Monaco-based Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc finished at second.
- Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas (Finland) finished third after being told to let Hamilton through to chase Leclerc.
2. Viswanathan Anand won the Sparkassen Trophy
- Viswanathan Anand won the Sparkassen Trophy held in Dortmund, Germany.
- He defeated Vladimir Kramnik of Russia in his 4th and final round.
- Playing white in a Tarrasch variation, Anand settled for a draw in 40 moves, to win the match 2.5-1.5.
- The event was played as part of the "No-Castling" Chess devised by the Russian GM.
- Castling is a special move to protect the king and activate the rook. It is the only time in chess a player can move two pieces in one move.
Honours & Awards
3. Cannes Film Festivals 2021: Winners List
- The Cannes film festival concluded in the south of France.
- Here is a list of the main winners:
- Award : Winner
- Palme d'Or: Julia Ducournau (Titane)
- Best director: Leos Carax "Annette"
- Best actress: Renate Reinsve (Worst Person in the World)
- Best actor: Caleb Landry Jones (Nitram)
- Best screenplay: Hamaguchi Ryusuke and Takamasa Oe (Drive My Car)
- Best first film: Antoneta Kusijanovic (Murina)
- Best short film: All The Crows In The World (Tang Yi)
4. OFT hands delivery of 25 remote control guns to Navy, Coast Guard
- Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirappalli handed over the locally assembled 12.7 mm Stabilised Remote Control Gun (SRCG) system to the Navy and Coast Guard for enhanced surveillance.
- The first batch consisted of 25 weapons.
- They were assembled in the Trichy factory through the transfer of technology (ToT) initiative with the support of Israel-based defense company Elbit Systems.
- The SRCG is fitted with a 12.7 mm M2 NATO standard heavy machine gun.
5. MeitY inked MoU with MapmyIndia to enable map services in UMANG App
- MeitY has inked an MoU with MapmyIndia to enable the map services in “UMANG App”
- Aim: to ease the lives of citizens by facilitating online delivery of Government services and further enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme, keeping in view the theme of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
- After this citizens will be able to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as mandis, blood banks, and much more, at the click of a button.
Banking & Finance
6. FDI limit in NPS fund managers hiked to 74%
- The govt notified a hike in the FDI limit in pension fund management to 74% from 49% under the national pension system (NPS).
- The higher FDI limit in pension fund managers (PFMs) follows a Parliament nod in March to hike the FDI limit in the insurance business to 74% from 49%.
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) Act links the FDI ceiling in the sector to the same in the insurance sector.
7. USA announce new Quad group for Afghan peace process
- The US, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan will create a new Quad group to promote the Afghan peace process, stability and trade in the region.
- The parties consider long-term peace and stability in Afghanistan critical to regional connectivity and agree that peace and regional connectivity are mutually reinforcing.
- This development comes as the security situation in Afghan has been deteriorating following the withdrawal of US military forces from the country.
Banking & Finance
8. Bank of Maharashtra signs MoU with NABARD
- Bank of Maharashtra has signed an MoU with NABARD to boost ongoing developmental initiatives linked to priority sector lending in Maharashtra.
- The MoU envisages joint initiatives for the benefit of farmers, farmer producer organisations, joint liability groups, self help groups, rural artisans, weavers, agri-preneurs, agri start-ups, micro, small and medium enterprises in the State.
- BoM is the convener of State Level Bankers’ Committee (SLBC) for Maharashtra.
9. Danish Siddiqui: Indian photojournalist killed in Afghanistan
- Danish Siddiqui, an Indian photojournalist working for an international news agency, has been killed in Afghanistan's Kandahar.
- Siddiqui had been in Kandahar covering the situation in the region after the US forces pulled out of Afghanistan recently.
- Siddiqui was embedded with Afghan forces that came under attack by the Taliban in the Spin Boldak district of Kandahar province.
- Siddiqui was also awarded the prestigious Pulitzer Prize.
National & International Appointments
10. IAMAI appoints Google India MD Sanjay Gupta as Chairman
- Google India Vice President and Managing Director, Sanjay Gupta has been elected as its chairman of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) for the period 2021-23.
- IAMAI has also named Facebook India Vice President and MD Ajit Mohan as Vice Chairman of its association by succeeding Dhruv Shringi, Yatra.com co-founder and CEO.
- Harshil Mathur, CEO and Co-founder of Razorpay was elected as the Treasurer of IAMAI.
Subscribe NOW to Gradeup Super and get:
The benefits of subscribing Gradeup Super are:
- Structured Live Courses with a daily study plan
- Complete Access to all the running and upcoming courses of all CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams (IIFT, XAT, SNAP, TISSNET, MICAT, MH-CET-MBA, CMAT, NMAT etc.)
- NO NEED to purchase separate courses for different MBA exams
- Prepare with India's best Faculty with a proven track record (7 faculties with decades of experience)
- Complete Doubt Resolution by Mentors and Experts
- Performance analysis and Report card to track improvement
To SPEAK to our counsellors, please call us on 9650052904
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai!