National & International Appointments
2. Rodrigo Chaves elected as president of Costa Rica
- Rodrigo Chaves (Economist and former finance minister) from Social Democratic Progressive Party was sworn in as Costa Rica's president for a four-years.
- He will focus on reinvigorating one of Latin America's most stable economies, as foreign debt rises to 70% of GDP, the poverty rate of 23%, unemployment of 14% and public sector corruption.
- He was a senior official at the World Bank, where he worked for 30 years.
- Costa Rica Capital: San Jose; Currency: Colon
3. Delhi govt's Mukhyamantri Muft Sewer Connection Yojana
- Delhi government will provide free sewer connections under the Mukhyamantri Muft Sewer Connection Yojana to 25,000 households in East Delhi.
- These free connections will be provided in 12 colonies in Karawal Nagar and Mustafabad.
- The household sewage system will be connected to the existing sewer network, which will carry the waste to the Yamuna Vihar sewage treatment plant.
- The decision was taken by the DJB chaired by Water Minister Satyendar Jain.
4. Govt will set up 33 new domestic cargo terminals by 2024-2025
- Civil Aviation Minister, Jyotiraditya Scindia has made an announcement to set up 33 new domestic cargo terminals by 2024-2025 while addressing the annual event of the Air Cargo Forum India.
- Aim: It will allow India's cargo sector to flourish and grow.
- Industry players need to focus on the transportation of smaller cargo loads from Tier II and III cities to metros to achieve the target of 10 million metric tons in cargo.
5. Prasar Bharati, ORTM sign MoU on cooperation and collaboration in Broadcast
- An MoU on cooperation and collaboration in Broadcasting was signed between Prasar Bharati and ORTM (Office de la Radio et de la Television) in Madagascar.
- It was signed by Abhay Kumar (India’s Ambassador to Madagascar) and ORTM DG Belalahy Jean Yves.
- This MoU will give international exposure to the Prasar Bharati as Madagascar National Television (TVM) will broadcast programmes from internal productions of Prasar Bharati.
- Madagascar capital: Antananarivo
Honours & Awards
6. President Kovind presents Gallantry Awards to Armed Forces personnel
- President Ram Nath Kovind has conferred Gallantry Awards at Defence Investiture Ceremony- 2022 at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- He presented Shaurya Chakras (13) including six posthumous, to the personnel of the Armed Forces for displaying courage, gallantry, and devotion to duty.
- He also conferred Param Vishisht Seva Medals (14 ), Uttam Yudh Seva Medals(4), and Ati Vishisht Seva Medals (24) for distinguished service of an exceptional order.
Banking & Finance
7. HDFC Bank launches digital 30-minute ‘Xpress Car Loans
- HDFC Bank has launched an end-to-end digital car loan scheme named ‘Xpress Car Loans’ for its existing customers as well as new customers.
- Buyers can apply for a maximum of Rs 20 lakh and the loan amount will be credited to the dealers’ accounts within 30 minutes.
- The facility is currently available for four-wheelers and will be soon rolled out to two-wheelers as well.
- Aim: To simplify the car purchase process and increase car sales.
8. World oldest chess Grandmaster Yuri Averbakh dies
- Yuri Averbakh (Russian chess grandmaster) who was among the world’s best players for a decade and trained world champions has died in Moscow at 100.
- He won the Moscow Championship in 1949 and earned the Grandmaster title in 1952. In 1954, he became the champion of the USSR.
- He also chaired the Chess Federation of the USSR from 1972 to 1977.
- He was born on Feb 8, 1922, in Kaluga, Moscow, and learned to play chess at the age of seven.
9. Former Union Minister Pandit Sukh Ram dies
- Veteran Himachal Pradesh Congress leader and former Union minister Pandit Sukh Ram has passed away at 94.
- He was the Union Minister of State, Communications (Independent Charge) from 1993 to 1996 and a member of Lok Sabha from the Mandi constituency (Himachal Pradesh).
- He won the Lok Sabha elections three times and the Vidhan Sabha elections five times.
- He also served as a junior minister in the Rajiv Gandhi government.
10. Crossing in Ayodhya will be named after Lata Mangeshkar
- A distinguished crossing in Ayodhya will be developed and named after legendary singer late Lata Mangeshkar who passed away on February 6.
- The Ayodhya administration has received directions from CM Yogi Adityanath to identify a prominent crossing in Ayodhya and send a proposal to the state government in the next 15 days for renaming it.
- Construction of the Ram temple is likely to be completed by December 2023.
National & International Appointments
11. Rajesh Unni takes over as Vice Chair at Maritime Anti-Corruption Network
- Captain Rajesh Unni (Founder and CEO of Synergy Group) has been appointed as a Vice-Chair of the Maritime Anti-Corruption Network (MACN).
- In 2006 he launched his own vessel ownership and management company named Synergy Marine Group.
- Captain Unni is joint CEO of Alpha Ori Technologies (AOT) which he founded in 2017 and is a Governor at the Indian Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli.
- MACN founded: 2011; Chair of MACN: Ann Shazell; HQ: Denmark
12. India elected as Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities
- India has been unanimously elected as the new Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) for 2022-2024 at the meeting of the Executive Board and General Assembly in Manila, Philippines.
- Commission on Elections, Manila was the current chair of AAEA.
- The new member of the Executive Board now includes Russia, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Taiwan and the Philippines.
- Chief Election Commission of India: Sushil Chandra
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card