World Bicycle Day is celebrated every year on June 3. The day has a lot of significance in western culture as there are several health benefits attached to cycling. All of these benefits from a bicycle or an activity like cycling are acknowledged and celebrated.
The day came into existence in April 2018, when the United Nations declared June 3 as World Bicycle Day. The day lays a lot of emphasis on the utility of a bicycle and focuses on how a bicycle is simple, affordable and yet gets the work done.
World Bicycle Day History
The United Nations General Assembly recognised the 3rd of June as International Bicycle Day, recognising the bicycle's uniqueness, strength, durability, and versatility.
On this day, participants identify and promote the bicycle's role in creating sustainable development, strengthening education for children and young people, promoting health, preventing diseases, facilitating social inclusion, and promoting a culture of peace, among other things.
The Assembly applauds the activities on a national and local level as a way to improve physical and mental health, as well as to foster a bicycle culture in society.
World Bicycle Day Significance
The United Nations chalks out some significance of celebrating International Bicycle Day at an international level.
- It urges the Member States to improve road safety and integrate it into the planning and construction of sustainable mobility and transportation infrastructure
- Additionally, pedestrian safety and cycling mobility must be protected and promoted to improve health outcomes
- The day urges the Member States to adopt best practices and methods for promoting bicycle use among all members of society and organise bicycle rides at the national and local levels to improve physical and mental health and well-being
- The day also motivates different nations to teach strategies that will promote bicycle riding in their respective economies
☛ Also Read: Weekly Current Affairs
Importance of Cycling
- Increased bicycle use reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and given the current level of greenhouse emissions, it is essential to bring down the level of these gasses in our atmosphere
- Cycling has an intrinsic zero-emission value; therefore, it helps to reduce carbon dioxide emissions
- Cycling improves cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, and flexibility, contributing to a healthier life
- It increases joint mobility while also lowering stress levels. When you cycle, you spend some time on your physical fitness, and that's why it is essential
- Cycling saves money because it is a stress-free way of transportation
- Cycling leads you to become aware of the local environment, promoting environmental awareness as well as sustainable consumption and production
World Bicycle Day 2021 Theme
The theme for World Bicycle Day 2021 was “Uniqueness, versatility, and longevity of the bicycle as a simple, sustainable, economical, and reliable mode of transportation”.
Today, when most of the population is dealing with different health issues, it is crucial for us to celebrate a day like International Bicycle Day. The day focuses on the importance of bicycles and how they can contribute to building a healthy and sustainable future.
FAQs on World Bicycle Day
Q.1. When is World Bicycle day celebrated?
World Bicycle day is celebrated on June 3 every year.
Q.2. When did World Bicycle day come into existence?
World Bicycle day came into existence in April 2018.
Q.3. Which body declared the celebration of World Bicycle Day?
The United Nations started the celebration of World Bicycle Day.
Q.4. What is the colour of the logo for World Bicycle day?
The colour of the logo of the World Bicycle day is white and blue.
Q.5. What is the aim of World Bicycle Day?
The primary aim of the World Bicycle day is to show how a zero-pollution mode of transport can also be a key to a healthy lifestyle.