World Athletics Day, celebrated on May 7, was established by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF). Sports and exercise can help people avoid diseases and maintain their health. World Athletics Day encourages people to take up fitness exercises, especially athletics, to stay healthy.
On this day, the IAAF organizes several competitions and tournaments to engage people in sports and exercise. In this article, we have shared the details about World Athletics Day, its theme, history and significance.
World Athletics Day 2023
The International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) established World Athletics Day in 1996 to raise awareness about the physiological and psychological importance of sports. Every year on May 7, the IAAF organizes numerous events to motivate people to take up sports to maintain their health.
World Athletics Day spreads the message that people of every age should engage in fitness activities to maintain their good health. This day also aims to highlight the major achievements in sports. Find out more about World Athletics Day from the table below.
World Athletics Day
May 7 (every year)
International Amateur Athletic Federation
To promote sports and exercise among people of all age groups
World Athletics Day Objectives
The aim of World Athletics Day is to encourage people to take up sports and participate in different sports and athletic activities. Here are some other important objectives of the day:
- World Athletics Day aims to enhance public awareness about sports activities and the health benefits associated with them.
- This day sends the message of prioritizing your health to lead a healthy, disease-free life.
- World Athletics Day wants to help people prioritize physical fitness and popularize sports among the youth of the world.
Athletics Day History
The history of World Athletics Day can be traced back to when the International Amateur Athletic Federation was founded. The organization announced the celebration of an annual day dedicated to athletics and sports. Here are all the details you need to know about Athletics Day history:
- On July 17, 1912, the IAAF was established in Stockholm, Sweden. The idea of the organization was to encourage people to prioritize participating in sports.
- The International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) established World Athletics Day in 1996.
- The Federation has been very proactive in raising sports awareness through World Athletics Day.
- They have reached out to the general public by conducting several competitions at the local and global levels on Athletics Day.
Significance of World Athletics Day
World Athletics Day is celebrated worldwide to spread awareness about the countless benefits of engaging in sports. Athletes are people who train themselves in sports or games. They are known for their strength, stamina, and agility. Athletes compete in sports events to prove themselves. Athletics Day is about honoring all the golden athletes in the world.
Sports and physical activity should be a part of every person’s life and to spread this message, World Athletics Day is observed every year in May. The IAAF (International Amateur Athletic Federation) determines the date, which is subject to change. Here is why this World Athletics Day is considered so significant.
- World Athletics Day can be an occasion for people to start taking sports seriously.
- This day also raises awareness about the physiological and psychological benefits of sports.
- World Athletics Day also highlights the achievements of athletes over the years.
How is World Athletics Day Celebrated?
Several sports events are organized on World Athletics Day, including running, walking, cricket, track and field, race walking, etc. The performers in the inter-school competitions organized at local and country levels are further escalated for bigger events like Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and Olympic Games. Athletics Day is a great opportunity for people to discover their passion for sports and take it further.
Athletics in India
- World Athletics Day is celebrated with much enthusiasm in India.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) is the prime body for organizing and managing athletics in India.
- The federation is affiliated with the Indian Olympic Association and IAAF.
- It conducts several national and international sports events and promotes sports in India on World Athletics Day.
FAQs on World Athletics Day
Q1. When is World Athletics Day Celebrated?
World Athletics Day is celebrated on May 7. The date of Athletics Day changes at the discretion of the IAAF. However, the month of the celebration remains the same every year. In 2021, World Athletics Day was celebrated on May 5.
Q2. Who started World Athletics Day?
World Athletics Day was introduced by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF), now known as World Athletics. This day is celebrated on May 7 to raise awareness about the many benefits of sports, especially athletics.
Q3. When was the first World Athletics Day celebrated?
The first World Athletics Day was celebrated in 1996. It was organized by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) to encourage people to take up sports to stay healthy. World Athletics Day is celebrated every year and highlights the achievements of renowned athletes.
Q4. Why is World Athletics Day celebrated?
World Athletics Day is celebrated to highlight the importance of sports and physical activity in keeping yourself fit. Maintaining an active lifestyle through sports and athletics can help people avoid diseases and live a more fulfilling and healthy life.
Q5. What is the history of World Athletics Day?
The history of World Athletics Day can be traced back to 1996 when it was first organized by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF). Since then, this day has been celebrated by people around the world to honor their favourite athletes.
Q6. Where is the headquarters of World Athletics?
The headquarters of World Athletics is in Monaco. World Athletics was earlier known as the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF). This organization established World Athletics Day in 1996 to encourage people to take up athletics.