World Red Cross Day - History, Significance, Theme
By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : Mar 3, 2022, 7:38
World Red Cross Day, also known as World Crescent Day, is celebrated every year on 8th May. It celebrates the principles of the International Red Cross and the Red Crescent Movement. This date marks the birth anniversary of the founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Jean Henry Dunant. He was also the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
World Red Cross Day Highlights
- Holding an International Red Cross Day was conceived soon after the first World War.
- This day marks the birth anniversary of its founder, Jean Henry Dunant, born on 8th May 1828 in Geneva.
- This day honours the contributions of millions of volunteers, members, and staff of the Red Cross Organisation who protect human health and life all across the length and breadth of the globe.
- The day is dedicated to those suffering from food scarcity, victims of natural calamities, including war or any epidemic disease.
World Red Cross Day Significance
The Red Cross Truce, an initiative to contribute to world peace post World War I, was introduced at the 14th International Conference of the Red Cross to set up an international commission for monitoring health and peace in the world. The report of the Red Cross Truce got approved in 1934 at the 15th International Conference in Tokyo. However, this proposal was put into effect after World War II in 1946.
World Red Cross Day - Celebrations
The World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day are celebrated every year in the following manner:
- The International Committee of the Red Cross and its members organise several programs and events to promote and facilitate humanitarian activities worldwide.
- They encourage people to take care of their own lives and even respect the dignity of the victims.
- The day is celebrated at all levels and all sections of the Red Cross Organisations to provide relief to people suffering from natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, etc.
- Many organisations set up a blood donation camp to spread awareness amongst the people.
- State officials and dignitaries attend seminars conducted on occasion.
Activities are undertaken by the International Red Cross Society
- In pursuit of a peaceful environment all across the globe, World Red Cross Day is celebrated every year on 8th May
- This day assists in decreasing the death rate caused due to an epidemic illness
- It saves people from the war
- In vulnerable situations, society generates communities to help people who are suffering from disasters.
FAQs on World Red Cross Day
Q1. What was the theme for the Red Cross Day 2021?
Ans: The theme for the Red Cross Day 2021 was ‘Together we are unstoppable.’
Q2. How has the Red Cross Society helped people during the present COVID pandemic?
Ans: The importance of the Red Cross Movement has gotten strengthened during the present COVID pandemic through aid from National Societies, ICRC, IFRC in helping vulnerable people across the globe.
Q3. Who proposed an annual celebration of the Red Cross Society Movement?
Ans: The possibility of an annual celebration was put across by the Board of Governors of the ‘League of the Red Cross Societies (LORCS), later known as the General Assembly of the International Federation of the Red Cross Societies.
Q4. What are the seven principles of the Red Cross Society?
Ans: The seven principles of the Red Cross Society are Impartiality, Humanity, Neutrality, Voluntary Service, Independence, Unity, and Universality.