World Asthma Day is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma on the first Tuesday in May. Asthma is a major public health crisis that needs to be talked about more through initiatives like World Asthma Day. This day will be celebrated on May 2, 2023, with the theme “Asthma Care for All.”
The World Health Organization reports that in 2019, around 262 million people were affected by asthma. Global health agencies are trying to manage this crisis In this article, we have shared more about World Asthma Day, its theme, history and significance.
World Asthma Day 2023
World Asthma Day, also known as Vishwa Asthma Divas, is an annual day dedicated to raising awareness about asthma, its causes, symptoms and treatment. Although asthma cannot be completely cured, the management of the disease lowers the chances of Asthma attacks, episodes, or exacerbation.
Asthma Day was started by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) and was first held in 1998. GINA is a collective of the World Health Organization and works in healthcare. Learn more about World Asthma Day from the information shared in the table below.
World Asthma Day
First Tuesday in May
World Asthma Day 2023 Date
May 2, 2023
World Asthma Day 2023 Theme
Asthma Care for All
Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA)
To raise awareness about asthma, its symptoms and treatment.
World Asthma Day 2023 Theme
Every year on World Asthma Day, the Global Initiative for Asthma announces a new theme for the celebrations. The themes generally revolve around asthma care facilities, and raising awareness about the same. World Asthma Day 2023 theme is “Asthma Care for All.”
This year’s Asthma Day theme is direct in its message: ensuring that all people affected with asthma are cared for. This could be in terms of resources, medicines or just company. We have also shared some of the earlier themes of World Asthma Day here.
World Asthma Day Theme (2019-2023)
We have shared the themes for World Asthma Day from the year 2019 to 2023 here.
- 2023: “Asthma Care for All”
- 2022: “Closing Gaps in Asthma Care”
- 2021: “Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions”
- 2020: “Enough Asthma Deaths”
- 2019: “STOP for Asthma”
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a respiratory disease that attacks the lungs and causes breathlessness. It is a long-term condition that can affect children and adults. On World Asthma Day, the GINA aimed to address some of the most common myths and misconceptions surrounding asthma:
- Myth: Asthma is a childhood disease and it will go with age.
Reality: Although it often starts in childhood, asthma is not a childhood disease and can last a lifetime.
- Myth: Asthma is infectious
Reality: Asthma is not infectious. However, viral respiratory infections can trigger asthma attacks.
- Myth: People with Asthma should not do physical exercise
Reality: People with asthma can engage in physical exercise and even sports if their asthma is well-managed.
World Asthma Day - Date
From 2022, every first Tuesday of May will be celebrated as World Asthma Day. The future dates for the Vishwa Asthma Divasevent are as follows:
Asthma Day - History
The first World Asthma Day was observed in 1998 with the participation of more than 35 countries. With an increasing number of participants each year since then, Asthma Day has become one of the most significant asthma awareness and education events worldwide. But how did it start? Here are the details about the history of World Asthma Day.
- Global Initiative for Asthma organizes this day every year, in collaboration with the World Health Organization.
- GINA was founded in 1993 in collaboration with World Health Organization (WHO). It holds the World Asthma Day event in May every year to increase awareness regarding the disease.
- The first Asthma Day was held together with the first global asthma meeting held in Barcelona, Spain.
- 5th May 2021 marked the 23rd anniversary of the World Asthma Day awareness campaign.
World Asthma Day - About GINA
World Asthma Day is organized and managed by GINA, or the Global Initiative for Asthma. It is celebrated with a specific theme chosen by GINA each year.
- The organization also coordinates the preparation and distribution of the event materials and resources on Asthma Day.
- Further, the task of maintaining the World Asthma Day Internet Headquarters also lies with GINA.
- All activities related to the event worldwide are updated on their website.
World Asthma Day - Significance
World Asthma Day is important because it raises awareness about the disease, along with its symptoms and treatment. If not properly treated, asthma can lead to many other health issues. Asthma can cause breathing difficulties, sleep disturbance, tiredness and poor concentration. Here are some other reasons why Asthma Day is significant:
- This day allows people the opportunity to interact with healthcare professionals about the causes, symptoms and treatment of asthma.
- On World Asthma Day, people get important insight on how to keep themselves safe.
- GINA and other healthcare organizations also do free screening for asthma on this day.
- World Asthma Day also involves advertising, talks and interviews, and community debates and quiz competitions in schools and colleges.
FAQs on World Asthma Day
Q1. When is World Asthma Day 2023?
World Asthma Day is celebrated on the first Tuesday in May. World Asthma Day 2023 will be celebrated on May 2. This day is celebrated to raise awareness about asthma, one of the most dangerous respiratory diseases, its symptoms, and treatment.
Q2. What is the theme of World Asthma Day 2023?
World Asthma Day 2023 theme is “Asthma Care for All.” This year’s World Asthma Day theme aims to ensure that all people affected by asthma are cared for. This could be in terms of resources, medicines or just company. Every year, a new theme is announced for World Asthma Day.
Q3. Who started World Asthma Day?
The Global Initiative for Asthma (GIVA) started World Asthma Day in 1998. GIVA is a collective of the World Health Organization. Realizing the severity of the asthma crisis in the world, which grips millions of people every year, GIVA initiated Asthma Day to raise awareness about the disease.
Q4. When was the first World Asthma Day event held?
The first World Asthma Day event was held in 1998. The Global Initiative for Asthma organized the celebration for the first Asthma Day, which was joined by 35 countries worldwide. Since then, World Asthma Day is celebrated every year by several countries around the world.
Q5. What was the theme of World Asthma Day 2022?
World Asthma Day 2022 theme was “Closing Gaps in Asthma Care”. Even today, many people dealing with the disease struggle to get the care they deserve. The theme of World Asthma Day 2022 aimed to encourage people to make asthma care more accessible.