The Ramon Magsaysay Award was initiated to recognize people of all races, genders, and religions who have displayed the wonder of the spirit of serving Asian people. This award is named after former President of the Philippines, Ramon Magsaysay, who unfortunately passed away in 1957.
The Ramon Magsaysay Award was established in 1957. It has been presented to the winners every year since 1958. This award is popularly known as the "Nobel Prize in Asia."
Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership
Ramon Magsaysay - Ramon del Fierro Magsaysay, born on 31 August 1907 and passed away on 17 March 1957, was the 7th President of the Philippines. His tenure as the president was from 30th December 1953 - to 17th March 1957.
- In recognition of his outstanding service as a guerrilla leader during the Pacific War, Magsaysay was appointed Governor of Zambales.
- After spending two terms as a member of the Liberal Party in the House of Representatives representing the Zambales district, he was appointed Secretary of Defense.
- He was elected President of the Nacionalista Party he founded.
- He was the 1st president of the Philippines, born after the Spanish colonial rule, and the first president of the Philippines born in the 20th century.
History of the Ramon Magsaysay Award
Filipino President Ramon Magsaysay was recognized as an example of intellect, integrity, and idealism in a democracy in 1957. Councilors of the Rockefeller Brothers Foundation worked with the Philippine government to support them.
- After the conflict, Ramon Magsaysay became the 3rd Philippines president.
- This award came into being to recognize the immense contributions made by Asians who excel in their respective fields.
It is divided into 6 sections, 5 of which were removed in 2009 -
- Civil servant (until 2008)
- Public services (until 2008)
- Community leadership (until 2008)
- Journalism, creative communication art, and literature (until 2008)
- Peace and international understanding (until 2008)
- New Leadership (2001)
- Uncategorized (2009)
Ramon Magsaysay Award Details
The Ramon Magsaysay Award is selected and awarded annually. This award recognizes people and organizations throughout Asia regardless of race, color, creed, gender, or citizenship. Over the last 50 years, medals have been awarded to more than 300 people and brands.
Each year, the Foundation's Board of Trustees selects winners, who will be presented with a medal, a certificate, and a picture of Ramon Magsaysay.
Significance of Ramon Magsaysay Award
This award recognizes individuals and organizations in Asia, and to date, it has been awarded to over 300 individuals and organizations over the last 50 years.
- The Foundation's Board of Trustees elects winners each year, who will be presented with a certificate and medal with a photo of Ramon Magsaysay.
- This award is presented annually on August 31st at a ceremony held in Manila, the capital of the Philippines.
- The first Ramon Magsaysay Award was presented to five individuals working in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, China (Taiwan), Sri Lanka, and a Philippines-based organization.
List of Winners of Ramon Magsaysay Award
Here is a list of winners for 2019 (the award was canceled in the year 2020 owing to the pandemic).
Emergent Leadership -
- 2019 - Ko Swe Win from Myanmar
Uncategorized awards -
- 2019 - Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from Philippines
- 2019 - Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea
- 2019 - Ravish Kumar from India
- 2019 - Angkhana Neelaphaijit from Thailand
Ramon Magsaysay Award - 2021 Winners
Below are the Raman Magsaysay Award winners in 2021, along with their country and contribution.
Fisherman and Community Environmentalist
Dr. Firdausi Qadri
Affordable vaccine champion
Muhammad Amjad Saqib
Poverty Alleviation Visionary
Media Truth Crusaders
☛ Also Read: Weekly Current Affairs
The Ramon Magsaysay Award is given out every year on 31st August. A formal ceremony takes place in the capital city of the Philippines.
- The first Ramon Magsaysay Award was presented to 5 people and a Philippines-based organization from Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, and China (Taiwan).
- The award consists of plaques, medallions, embossed images of Ramon Magsaysay facing the front, and cash prizes.
Ramon Magsaysay Award 2022 Winners List
The 2022 Ramon Magsaysay Award winners included Gary Bencheghib (Indonesia), Bernadette Madrid (Philippines), Sotheara Chhim (Cambodia), and Tadashi Hattori (Japan). The winners were recently announced in a global announcement ceremony.
- Gary belongs to Indonesia.
- He fought against plastic pollution.
- He is remembered for Emergent Leadership's inspiring battle against marine plastic pollution.
Bernadette J. Madrid-She:
- She belongs to the Philippines and is a children's rights devotee.
- Bernadette has been acknowledged for her honest and dedicated responsibility to noble and challenging advocacy.
- She has led the first child protection center at the Philippine General Hospital in Manila since 1997, which helped more than 27,000 children.
- He belongs to Japan and is a sight-saving humanitarian.
- Tadashi is identified for his simple humankind and tremendous benevolence as an individual and a professional.
- He became a doctor at age 15 when he noticed the rough treatment of his father, suffering from cancer in a hospital.
- He belongs from Cambodia and is a mental health advocate.
- Sotheara is a leading agent in Cambodian trauma syndrome.
- He is remembered for "his quiet bravery in surmounting deep trauma to become his healer.
- He was pushed to work in Khmer Rouge camps as a child for over three long years.
Ramon Magsaysay Award Indian Winners
Given are the past Indian Raman Magsaysay awardees and their roles in various enterprises of the country.
Indian Ramon Magsaysay Award winners
Year of winning
Field of work
Former election commissioner
Dr Verghese Kurien
Indian medical doctor
Indian Columnist and author
FAQs on 64th Ramon Magsaysay Award
Q.1. Who is eligible for the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2022?
Asians who stand out in their profession and have a reputation for voluntarily serving others without seeking public awareness are eligible for the Ramon Magsaysay Award.
Q.2. What is Magsaysay Award?
The Ramon Magsaysay Award is considered one of Asia's highest honors, reversing the spirit demonstrated by people and organizations through altruistic and selfless dedication to the people of Asia.
Q.3 Who officially manages the Ramon Magsaysay Award?
The RMAF - Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation manages the Ramon Magsaysay Award (RMA). The winners are elected each year by the RMAF Board of Directors.
Q.4 Has any Indian ever received the Ramon Magsaysay Award?
Ramon Magsaysay Award in India was given to Ravish Kumar, an Indian journalist, in 2019 for using journalism to give voice to the voiceless.
Q.5. What is the Emergent Leadership category under the Ramon Magsaysay Award?
The Emergent Leadership category under the Ramon Magsaysay Award was introduced in 2000 and supported by a Ford Foundation grant.
The Emergent Leadership Award recognizes individuals under 40 for their outstanding achievements in social change issues within the community, but their leadership skills have not been widely recognized outside the community.
Q.6. What is the common name for Ramon Magsaysay Award?
The common name used for the Ramon Magsaysay Award is Asia's Nobel Prize' around the world. It is also known as the Roman Megasis award.
Q.7. Which Country gives Magsaysay Award?
The Philippines gives Ramon Magsaysay Award. The award is regarded worldwide as ''Asia's Nobel Prize'' and is annually presented on August 31.
Q.8. What are the Ramon Magsaysay Award categories?
There were five Ramon Magsaysay Award categories until 2009:
- Government service
- Public service
- Community leadership
- Journalism, literature, and creative communication arts
- Peace and international understanding.