International Olympic Day is observed on 23 June worldwide every year. This day commemorates the foundation of the International Olympic Committee on 23 June 1894 in Sorbonne, Paris. In 1948, the International Olympic Committee approved the proposal of celebrating International Olympic Day annually.
The purpose of this day is to emphasize the power of sports in bringing people together and creating harmony. In this article, we have shared further information about International Olympic Day, its theme, history, and significance.
What is Olympic Day?
International Olympic Day is an occasion that celebrates sports and encourages everyone to participate in them. This day highlights the fact that people come closer through activities such as sports. Olympics Day is celebrated around the world through numerous events, competitions, and other interactive programs.
This year, Olympic Day 2023 will be celebrated on 23 June. On this day, governments and organizations around the world promote sports and organize events for the same. Find out more about International Olympic Day by going through the overview shared below.
International Olympic Day
23 June (every year)
International Olympic Day 2023 Theme
To be announced
To commemorate the founding of the International Olympic Committee in Stockholm and to encourage everyone to participate in sports.
When is Olympic Day Celebrated?
- Olympic Day is celebrated worldwide on 23 June to spread the message of indulging in sports to stay active.
- This day is a big event and is celebrated on a large scale around the world.
- Several countries also participate in Olympic Day Runs on this day.
- International Olympic Day is also a reminder of the rich history of the Olympics.
International Olympic Day 2023 Theme
Every year a new International Olympic Day theme is shared by the International Olympic Committee. The celebrations for the day revolve around the theme and promote its message. The International Olympic Day 2023 theme is yet to be announced by the committee.
The themes for the day generally spread the message of promoting peace and harmony through sports. We have shared some of the old Olympics Day themes here.
- The International Olympic Day 2022 Theme was “Together, For a Peaceful World”. The hashtags for the day were #MoveForPeace and #OlympicDay.
- The Olympic Day 2021 theme was “Stay Healthy, Stay Strong, Stay Active”.
History of World Olympic Day
The history of International Olympic Day can be traced back to 1948 when the International Olympic Committee accepted the proposal to celebrate this day. As a result, the first Olympic Day was celebrated on 23 June 1948. Some of the countries that participated in the early celebrations of this day were:
- Great Britain
The International Olympic Committee recommends everyone celebrate International Olympic Day to promote sports. Therefore, several countries around the world celebrate this day every year.
Olympic Day Significance
International Olympic Day is celebrated every year to encourage more and more people to participate in the Olympic Games. This day is observed to spread awareness about the event and promote the Olympic movement amongst one and all. Here is why Olympic Day is considered so significant.
- To encourage more and more participation irrespective of age, caste, gender, social background, or sporting activities.
- To focus on creating more opportunities in cultural, educational, and sports activities.
- International Olympic Day is also celebrated to raise awareness about the history and significance of the Olympic games.
International Olympic Day Celebrations
Every year, on 23 June, International Olympic Day is celebrated with much pomp and grandeur to maintain the spirit of modern Olympic games alive and active. Olympic Day is observed and celebrated in various ways across different countries, some of them being as follows.
- Many countries have included this day as a special event in their school curriculum.
- Many NOCs hold concerts and exhibitions as a part of International Olympic Day.
- Some NOCs organize meetings for children and young people with top athletes who can inspire them and make them a part of this special day.
- To celebrate International Olympic Day and make it popular, athletes from all across the world participate in sports and other activities.
FAQs on International Olympic Day
Q1. When is International Olympic Day celebrated?
International Olympic Day is celebrated every year on 23 June. This day commemorates the day on which Doctor Gruss presented the idea of World Olympic Day at the 41st Session of the International Olympic Committee in Stockholm, Sweden in 1947.
Q2. Who presented the idea of celebrating International Olympic Day?
The idea of celebrating International Olympic Day was presented by Dr. Josef Grussin in 1947 in Stockholm during the 41st Session of the International Olympic Committee. This idea was accepted in January 1948 in St. Moritz and Olympic Day was first celebrated on 23 June 1948.
Q3. What is the theme of International Olympic Day 2023?
The International Olympic Day 2023 theme is yet to be announced. Every year on Olympic Day, the International Olympic Committee announces a new theme. All the celebrations and activities for the day take place keeping the theme in mind.
Q4. Which countries celebrated the first International Olympic Day?
The first International Olympic Day was celebrated on 23 June 1948 by only 9 countries. The countries that celebrated the first Olympic Day were Canada, Venezuela, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Great Britain, Switzerland, Austria, and Uruguay.
Q5. What is the purpose of International Olympic Day?
The primary aim of holding International Olympic Day is to promote sports and instigate people to make it an integral part of their lives. This day also highlights the rich history and value of the Olympics and promotes sports as an activity that can bring peace and harmony.
Q6. What was the International Olympic Day 2022 theme?
The International Olympic Day 2022 Theme was “Together, For a Peaceful World”. This year’s theme emphasized the importance of sports as an exercise that can bring world peace. The hashtags for the day were #MoveForPeace and #OlympicDay.