Peace is aspired by people and countries as it creates a world without violence and fear. All countries prefer peaceful interactions and enjoy relaxed social unity. Despite the preference, several countries today struggle to maintain order and peace. This is generally due to the greed for power, money, and possession.
Countries worldwide need to understand that people would prefer peace overpower. The International Day of Peace promotes and advocates the importance of peace.
International Day of Peace - History and Significance
The International Day of Peace is celebrated on 21st September. The United Nations General assembly had proposed this day for promoting peace around the world. On this day, cease-fire and non-violence are followed by the countries.
World Peace Day was accepted in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly through the 36/37 resolution. Furthermore, the day was also dedicated to cease-fire and non-violence in 2001.
The peace wave first came into action on 21st September 1982 and has continued to date. The day advocates humanity and love. It has a huge significance in emphasising the importance of peace and highlighting its benefits.
Peace between nations and people can have the following benefits:
- The countries can focus on growth and invest in developing themselves
- Countries can partner to bring reforms and lead path-breaking discoveries
- Countries can bridge gaps and enhance the feeling of inclusion
- Reduce political and economic instability
- Citizens of the country can feel safe and secure.
- Reduce violence and promote happiness
- Allows people to respect the human rights and beliefs of every human
- The day reminds us about the greater good and the impact of small actions
International Day of Peace Celebration
The International Day of Peace is celebrated by engaging individuals, communities, cities, and villages in meaningful ways. Indulging in peace-related themes and activities is encouraged publicly or privately.
Some of the exercises followed on the occasion of the World Peace Day include:
- The global observance of the activity' Minute of Silence'
- Indulging in peaceful activities like Yoga, meditation, and prayer
- Intercultural dialogue and discussions
- Planting of peace poles
- Community gathering and celebrating the day through feasting together under the slogan "Feast for Peace." Getting together and breaking bread is an old but effective way of observing peace
- Engaging children and youth in activities that promote peace and harmony
- Organizing concerts and festivals that celebrate peace
- Peace flag ceremonies, marches, and parades are organised in communities
- Workshops and activities that promote peace
- Educational institutions and schools promote the day by organizing competitions, exhibitions, campaigns, and programs that promote inclusiveness, open-mindedness, and peace
The several activities organized during World Peace Day are mostly aligned with the themes decided for the celebration. The following table lists the different themes for the International Day of Peace.
International Day of Peace Theme (2011 to 2021)
Themes for the past observances of the International Day of Peace
Peace and Democracy: Make your voice heard! The theme emphasizes voicing your opinion and advocating for peace
Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future
The theme focuses on developing sustainable methods for maintaining peace for a better future
Education for Peace
The Right of Peoples to Peace
Partnerships for Peace: Dignity for All
The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace
This theme adopted several sustainable goals for resolving issues like hunger, education, gender equality, and many more
Together for Peace: Respect, Safety, and Dignity for all
Celebrated 70 years of human rights declaration with the theme, The Right to Peace: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70
Climate Action for Peace
Shaping Peace Together
Recovering Better for an Equitable and Sustainable World
The theme is aligned with recovery from pandemic COVID-19 and the availability of vaccine and treatment doses globally
Peace is possible if countries leave their greed for power and understand the greater good.
With the observance of World Peace Day, people express their advocacy for peace and harmony. The day has more relevance in current times when nations harm innocent people for power.
FAQs on International Day of Peace
Q.1. What is the importance of celebrating the International Day of Peace?
Celebrating the International Day of Peace is important as it helps the people of the nation express themselves. The day marks and promotes the importance of peace in countries and highlights its benefits.
Q.2. When was the International Day of Peace observed for the first time?
The International Day of Peace was first observed on 21st September 1982.
Q.3. International Day of Peace was passed under which resolution?
The International Day of Peace was passed under the 36/37 resolution by the United Nations General Assembly.
Q.4. What is the aim of celebrating the International Day of Peace?
The aim of celebrating the International Day of Peace is to promote peace, harmony, inclusiveness, and development worldwide.
Q.5. What is the 2022 theme for the International Day of Peace celebration?
The 2022 theme for the International Day of Peace celebration is Recovering Better for an Equitable and Sustainable World.