Since its introduction in February of last year, Mr Prasanth's initiative, Compassionate Kozhikode, has been the focus of national and international debate. There has been global recognition for Compassionate Kozhikode since then.
The concept was recently dubbed a "groundbreaking destination project" at the World Travel Market in London.
The Internationale Tourismus-Börse Berlin (ITB Berlin), the largest tourism trade show in the world, held at the Messe Berlin every year in March, has chosen to spotlight Compassionate Kozhikode as one of 50 innovative projects from around the world as part of its Golden Jubilee celebrations. It is the only Indian initiative on the list from ITB-Berlin, and one of just three from Asia.
Key Features Of Compassionate Kozhikode
- It is 100% volunteer-driven.
- Uses social media to mobilize folks and channel projects.
- Unique program names, such as Tere Mere Beach Mein, Kozhipedia, Hey Auto, and Yo Appooppa, were free of bureaucratic jargon and sparked community interest.
- The projects discourage monetary gifts, preventing corruption.
Projects Under Compassionate Kozhikode
- Operation Sulaimani has enlisted the help of local eateries and hotels to ensure that no one goes hungry in the city.
- The 'Legends of Kozhikode' project documents and shares the region's many secret stories and characters.
- 'The Kozhipedia' is an Open Streetmap-based effort in which volunteers collect and record information about everything, from roads, streets, and pathways to stories, legends, folklore, cultural, and natural heritage.
- 'Savirigiri' works to ensure the safety and dignity of kids using public transportation.
☛ Also Read: Current Affairs 2022 PDF
Reasons behind Global Recognition for Compassionate Kozhikode
The idea of Compassionate Kozhikode brings a new perspective to tourism. It begins with the notion that a destination is a location where people live. Its efforts are focused on making Kozhikode a better place for its people.
As a result, it stands to reason that it will be a more appealing destination for tourists.
Aside from cash donations, the project's website lists different places where volunteers are required. For example, the donor might choose an institution they desire to be affiliated with, select from a list of the institution's needs on the website, and express their will in the space provided.
For instance, occupational therapists in mental health centres, plumbers in leprosy hospitals, maids in children's centres, teachers in girls' care homes, and yoga instructors in nursing homes are just a few examples.
In addition, the projects are promoted through social media sites such as Facebook and WhatsApp, leading to the global recognition of Compassionate Kozhikode.
A New Benchmark for Social Initiatives - Global Recognition for Compassionate Kozhikode
The success of Compassionate Kozhikode is mainly due to the planning, structure, and people who have worked with conviction which lead to its recognition on a global platform. The tireless efforts of people in light of social responsibility are commendable.
The unique model, which volunteers entirely manage, is an impetus for many more social initiatives that have the power to change people's lives and make the world a better place, leading to the Global Recognition of Compassionate Kozhikode.
FAQs on Global Recognition for Compassionate Kozhikode
Q1. What factors influence the selection of projects and initiatives?
People's suggestions are used to select projects/initiatives in Compassionate Kozhikode and offer unique crowd-sourced solutions to problems.
Q2. Who funds the projects at Compassionate Kozhikode?
All of the initiatives in Compassionate Kozhikode are supported via crowdfunding. The initiative does not collect the funds for the projects. Beneficiaries and contributors are inextricably intertwined. Every single person who contributes does so voluntarily.
Q3. What can I do to be a part of Compassionate Kozhikode?
To be a part of Compassionate Kozhikode:
- Choose a project from the available projects, then decide how you can help.
- Let them know what slots for needs/articles, requirements/time.
- Select whether to donate or volunteer, fill in the required information and complete the form.
Q4. Is Compassionate Kozhikode open to everyone?
Yes, Compassionate Kozhikode is open to everyone. You only have to identify the project and explain how you want to participate. In most cases, time contributions will necessitate your presence on the site. However, some tasks may be done remotely, such as documentation, creating reports, and assisting with system maintenance.