An E-Prisons is a cloud-based application suite developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) to computerize and integrate the activities of the Indian prisons. The system has an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface (GUI) with integrated security features to improve prison management.
Any State Prison Department can use the application without much customization. With the E-Prisons application, prison officials and other officials related to the Criminal Justice System can access real-time information about the inmates' lodges in prison. Besides, the portal helps with grievance redressal and booking meetings with inmates.
Key Features of E-Prisons
The E-Prisons offer the following features to enhance prison management:
- E-Prisons is a SaaS application provided by the NIC that increases the system's availability, scalability, and robustness.
- The E-Prisons application can be easily adopted by any Indian prison or stakeholder for free.
- The eE-Prisons software comes equipped with parameterized and configurable gap aspects.
- The application has provisions for SMS and E-mail alerts.
- E-Prisons has services that enable integration with other Criminal Justice System stakeholders.
- The system mandates authorization checks and validation to improve the quality of data.
Products of E-Prisons Suite
Primarily, the E-Prisons suite offers three products, which are tabularized below:
The E-Prisons Management Information System (MIS) is useful for managing the day-to-day activities of the prison.
National Prisons Information System (NPIP) is a citizen-centric portal that publishes statistical data about different prisons in India.
This product of the E-Prisons portal exhibits and sells products made by inmates of the Indian Prisons.
Prisoner Information Management System (PIMS)
Visitor Management System (eVisitor)
Hospital Management System (e Hospital)
Legal Aid Management System
Inventory Management System
Prison Management System (PMS)
Police Intelligence System
The portal allows visitors to book their meetings with their wards in prison.
With this portal, people can submit grievances concerning their wards in prison.
The application provides inmate tracking that enables investigating agencies to keep track of the inmates' activities.
Showcasing the products made by inmates online.
Online selling of the products made by inmates.
☛ Also Read: Daily Current Affairs
The statistical data about E-Prisons implementations are provided below:
- So far, 37 states have been covered under the E-Prisons application to manage their prisons.
- To date, 1259 prisons have adopted the E-Prisons application.
- As of now, the E-Prisons application stores the records of 15453142
E-Prisons is an excellent digital solution developed by the NIC for enhancing prison management in India. This system makes it easy for prison officials and other stakeholders to have real-time access to information.
Besides, the application improves citizens' interaction with the prison management and eases their visit and grievance redressals. Not only this, the system empowers the inmates to sell their produce to the world through the Kara Bazaar features of the application. Overall, E-Prisons are an integrated solution to makE-Prisons digitally sound.
FAQs on E-Prisons
Q.1. Which organization developed the E-Prisons application?
National Informatics Centre (NIC) developed the E-Prisons application.
Q.2. What are the three main products of the E-Prisons application?
The three main products of the E-Prisons application are:
- E-Prisons MIS
- National Prisons Information System (NPIP)
- Kara Bazaar
Q.3. How many states have been covered under the E-Prisons so far?
So far, 37 states have been covered under the E-Prisons application.
Q.4. What is the function of the Kara Bazaar product offering of the E-Prisons suite?
The Kara Bazaar allows the inmates to showcase and sell their products online.
Q.5. In how many prisons is the E-Prisons suite implemented to date?
To date, 1259 prisons have adopted the E-Prisons suite.