Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha
By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : Apr 27, 2022, 11:47
The second-highest ranking legislative position of the Lok Sabha, the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha acts as the speaker when the speaker is unavailable or dead. By convention, this position is offered to the opposition party in India.
The deputy speaker is chosen through election by the house from among its members after the general elections for a five-year term. The elected person serves the position until they resign or no longer remain a member of the Lok Sabha.
Deputy Speaker Lok Sabha - Roles, Functions & Responsibilities
- The Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha is not a subordinate to the speaker, and the speaker has no authority over them.
- When the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha presides over a sitting, they can exercise all the powers of the Lok Sabha speaker.
- Apart from presiding over the house in the speaker's absence, the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha becomes the chairman of the committees held inside and outside the parliament.
- Whenever the speaker's post gets vacant, the deputy speaker takes up all the speaker's responsibilities and exercises administrative and legislative powers.
- When the speaker is not present, the deputy speaker presides over the Lok Sabha sessions and is responsible for maintaining decorum of the house and discipline.
- They can permit different resolutions and motions like the motion of censure, the motion of no confidence, calling attention notice, and others. They also decide whether or not a bill is a money bill.
Lok Sabha Deputy Speakers - Currently & Over The Years
Unfortunately, the post of Lok Sabha deputy speaker has been unfilled since 2019. This has happened for the first time in the history of independent India. However, it remains critical to have a Voice Speaker of Lok Sabha to ensure the house's smooth functioning and deal with uncertainties.
☛ Also Get: Today's Current Affairs PDF
Recently, the Delhi High Court has asked for an explanation for delaying the appointment. A petition was filed claiming that keeping the post vacant violates Article 93 of the Constitution. India has a long list of eminent individuals holding the position. Here is a definitive Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha List.
|M. A. Ayyangar||Tirupati||30 May 1952||7 March 1956||3 years, 282 days|
|Hukam Singh||Bathinda||20 March 1956||4 April 1957||6 years, 11 days|
|S. V. Krishnamoorthy Rao||Shimoga||23 April 1962||3 March 1967||4 years, 314 days|
|Raghunath Keshav Khadilkar||Khed||28 March 1967||11 November 1969||2 years, 228 days|
|George Gilbert Swell||Shillong||9 December 1969||18 January 1977||7 years, 40 days|
|Godey Murahari||Vijaywada||1 April 1977||22 August 1979||2 years, 143 days|
|G. Lakshmanan||Chennai North||1 December 1980||31 December 1984||4 years, 30 days|
|M. Thambidurai||Dharmapuri||22 January 1985||27 November 1989||4 years, 309 days|
|Shivraj Patil||Latur||19 March 1990||13 March 1991||359 days|
|S. Mallikarjunaiah||Tumkur||13 August 1991||10 May 1996||4 years, 271 days|
|Suraj Bhan||Ambala||12 July 1996||4 December 1997||1 year, 145 days|
|P.M. Sayeed||Lakshadweep||17 December 1998||6 February 2004||5 years, 51 days|
|Charanjit Singh Atwal||Phillaur||9 June 2004||18 May 2009||4 years, 343 days|
|Kariya Munda||Khunti||3 June 2009||18 May 2014||4 years, 349 days|
|M. Thambidurai||Karur||13 August 2014||25 May 2019||4 years, 285 days|
|Vacant||23 June 2019||Incumbent||2 years, 302 days|
FAQs on Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha
Q.1) Has a Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha served more than once?
M. Thambidurai has served twice as the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha.
Q.2) What is the main role of the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha?
The deputy speaker acts as the presiding officer whenever the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha is unavailable.
Q.3) Who was the First Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha?
The First Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha was M.A. Ayyangar, who served from 1952 to 1956.
Q.4) How can a Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha be removed?
The Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha can be removed from the office by a resolution passed by a majority of the members.
Q.5) Who is the current Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha?
Since 2019, ever since the retirement of M Thambidurai, the role has remained vacant, with no new names being submitted for the post of Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha.