Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI is a title given to cricket batsman. The latter scores 12000 runs in an ODI or One Day International. It is one of the most important benchmarks for any batsman. Former captain Virat Kohli added a milestone to his career after becoming a batsman.
The latter played and achieved this benchmark faster than any other batsman in the history of One Day International cricket. Furthermore, Virat Kohli added another milestone to his outstanding career: he became the Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI, beating Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar.
Achievement of Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI Cricket
The Indian skipper, Virat Kohli, was the fastest to reach the 12000 runs mark in international cricket. It happened during the third one-day international match against Australia in Canberra. He only needed 242 innings to reach the milestone.
The great gameplay of Virat Kohli has defined him as one of the finest batters in the world. The fastest 12000 Runs in ODI scorer, Virat Kohli, had two half-centuries to his name in one of the three-match ODI series.
- The master blaster, Sachin Tendulkar, previously held this record, achieving it in 309 matches.
- But surprisingly enough, Virat Kohli surpassed the legend in 251 matches.
- Breaking this record set up by Sachin Tendulkar after 17 years, Virat Kohli happens to have achieved the title of “Sabse Tej 12000 Runs in ODI”.
Batsman Who Reached the Benchmark - Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI
Besides Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar completed 12000 runs in ODI with 300 innings. Below, batters have added a feather to their cap with such a benchmark. Below are the names to add to the list of fastest to make 12000 runs in ODI.
- Ricky Ponting with 314 innings.
- Kumar Sangakkara with 336 innings.
- Sanath Jayasuriya with 379 innings.
India’s Fastest to Reach 12000 Runs in ODI Cricket
ODI cricket is played between international teams. Unlike other test matches, the one-day international tournament consists of one innings for each team. However, it does have a limit in overs which is currently limited to 50 overs per innings.
- The players of one-day international games should be full members of the International Cricket Council.
- Moreover, if any member achieves the fastest 12000 runs in ODI cricket, they would be considered a benchmark.
- However, in the game where Virat Kohli achieved this benchmark, India got 303 runs.
- Virat Kohli played a superb game, but failure from the other batters did not prove to be a happy ending for the Indian cricket team.
- Australia won that one-day international series with a total of 2-0.
How did Virat Kohli become the Fastest to Score 12000 Runs in ODI?
Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin Tendulkar by achieving the fastest 12000 runs in ODI title. In 463 ODIs, Sachin has marked up 18,426 runs at an average of 44.93, with 49 centuries.
- Kohli achieved this in his 242nd innings during the third ODI against Australia at the Manuka Oval in Canberra.
- Kohli has run past 12,000 runs in 242 innings at an average of under 60, with 43 lots to his credit.
- Virat’s batsmanship is fundamentally traditional; he runs hard between the wickets.
Virat Kohli in ODIs
First ODI player of India
India first played their ODI in 1974 with 214 players representing the Indian cricket team. They landed with 428 defeats, 518 victories, 41 no results, and 9 ties. The first ODI player of India is Syed Abid Ali.
- Moreover, India won the Cricket World Cup in 1983 and 2011.
- At the same time, they were the runner-up in 2003.
- Unfortunately, there happens to be no such Indian woman cricketer who has achieved this benchmark until now.
12000 Runs in ODI Player List
Below is a summary of players who scored 12000 runs in ODI. Read about the matches they participated in and the number of innings they played.
FAQs about Fastest 12000 Runs in ODI
Who was the fastest player to reach 12000 runs in ODI cricket?
Virat Kohli was the first player to reach this benchmark. His incredible batsmanship made him the fastest to score 12000 runs in ODI.
Has the women's cricket team achieved this 12000 runs benchmark?
No. The Indian women's cricket team has not yet achieved this benchmark.
When did India first play their ODI?
India played their first ODI in 1974. The place was Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The tournament was played between India and England where England won the game by 5 wickets.
Who scored the First 12000 Runs in ODI?
Sachin Tendulkar (India) scored the first 12000 Runs in ODI. He is the most popular Indian player, achieving 10,000 runs in one-day international cricket and the highest ODI run-scorer.
Who became the fastest to score 12000 runs in ODI, and why?
Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin Tendulkar by achieving the fastest 12000 runs in ODI title. Kohli achieved this in his 242nd innings during the third ODI against Australia at the Manuka Oval in Canberra.
Which Indian batsman comes under the 12000 Runs in ODI Player List?
The cricketers scoring 12000 runs in ODI are Virat Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar, Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, and Ricky Ponting, playing 251, 309, 359, 390, and 323 matches.
Which players have scored the highest runs in ODI?
Fakhar Zaman scored 1000 runs in ODI, Hashim Amla achieved 2000 to 7000 runs in ODI, and Virat Kohli became the fastest to make 12000 runs in ODI, which is between 8000 to 12000 runs.