Often upheld as the "gentleman's game," cricket is one of the most popular sports played majorly by countries that once formed the British commonwealth. Since 1844, when the first international cricket match (between the USA and Canada) was held, innumerable players have won matches and series for their countries - making and breaking records, hitting centuries, and being a part of the history of world cricket.
Sachin Tendulkar, one of the most famous cricketers of all time, holds the record for scoring the most centuries in international cricket till date.
Top 10 Cricketers with Most International Centuries (100's)
Here's a list of the top 10 cricketers with the most international centuries in cricket.
No. of Centuries
AB de Villiers
Sachin Tendulkar - Most International Centuries in Cricket
Often regarded as the greatest batsman in the history of international cricket, Sachin Tendulkar started his international cricket journey at 16 in a test match held in Karachi against Pakistan.
- In 1990, he scored his maiden century in international cricket in a test match against England held in Old Trafford, Manchester.
- He marked the beginning of a career that, till now, has the most international centuries in cricket.
- Even after a decade of bidding goodbye to competitive cricket, Sachin Tendulkar remains the cricketer, having hit the most centuries in both Test cricket (51) and One Day Internationals (49).
Virat Kohli- Most hundreds in International Cricket
Virat Kohli, an Indian right-handed cricket batsman, has recently made 71 centuries in an international cricket match.
- He scored 1 in Internationals Twenty20, 27 in Test cricket, and 43 in ODI cricket, as of 8th September 2022.
- He hit his first T20I hundred for India in an Asia Cup 2022 match against Afghanistan.
- Kohli evolved the fourth Indian to score a century in all forms (after Rohit and KL Rahul, Suresh Raina).
- Along with Ricky Ponting, Virat became the second-most international hundreds (71) scorer in 2022.
- Kohli is the first batsman to attain a century in Asia Cup T20s for men.
Kumar Sangakkara - Most hundreds in a career
Kumar scored 28,016 runs in international cricket across all formats in a career that spanned 15 years.
- He was the fourth cricketer to score the most hundred in his ODI career.
- After retirement, he was the second-highest run-scorer in ODI cricket and the sixth-highest scorer in Test cricket.
- At different stages of his international career, he was rated as the top three batsman in the world in all three forms.
Jacques Kallis - 5th Most International Centuries
- Kallis is the only cricketer in cricket history who scored more than 10,000 runs and took 250 wickets in both Test matches and ODI cricket as of 2022.
- He grabbed 131 one-day international cricket catches.
- Jacques scored 13,289 runs in his overall Test match career and seized 292 wickets and 200 catches.
Rohit Sharma - Most Centuries in T20 Internationals
One of the most famous names in international cricket in contemporary times, Rohit Sharma, started his career in international T20 cricket in 2007.
- Besides being the cricketer, who has scored the most centuries in international T20 cricket with 4 tons, Rohit Sharma has 29 ODI tons and 8 International Test tons to his name.
- Interestingly, Rohit Sharma is the current captain of the Indian National Men's Cricket Team for One Day Internationals and T20 Internationals.
- Virat Kohli is the captain of the Indian National Men's Test Cricket Team.
Among the top 10 cricketers having the most centuries in international cricket, it should be noted that Virat Kohli is the only active player on the list.
The Indian men's test cricket team captain, Virat Kohli, has 70 international centuries to his name. He has scored 27 centuries in Test cricket and 43 tons in ODI. Although a regular T20 player, Kohli is yet to get his first international T20 century.
FAQs on Most International Centuries
Who has the highest century in international cricket?
Sachin Tendulkar is the cricketer with the most centuries in International Cricket.
Who has the most international test cricket centuries?
Sachin Tendulkar scored 51 centuries in his test cricket career from 1989 to 2013.
Who is the current record-holder for the most centuries in T20 International cricket?
Rohit Sharma is the current record-holder for the most number of T20 centuries. He has scored 4 centuries in 96 Matches during his T20 International matches.
How many centuries did Virat Kohli score in T20 Internationals?
Kohli has hit only one century in the T20 Internationals match.